What if you were an armorer?

jcsturgeon

Okay, so say you are the armorer for a local police department and you are tasked with re-arming your force from scratch. You have to get new handguns, new shotguns, rifles, sub machine guns etc. for your staff. The PD consists of regular patrol units, plainclothes detectives and a SWAT team. There's no specific budget for this game, but money is an object. Can't be equipping your guys with $2,000 custom 1911's. Imagine the town throwing a fit if you spent tax money in this manner :D

Anyway, here's mine:

Patrol
Sidearm: Gen 4 Glock 22 (Not very creative, but it is idiot proof. It comes with adjustable backstraps etc. and is a .40 cal.)

Shotgun: Remington 870 12 ga. (Tough, durable gun, and I like the pump fro the psychological effect.)

Plainclothes
Sidearm: Gen 4 Glock 22 (Full size, but able to be concealed if needed.)

Shotgun: Remington 870 12 ga. (Tough, durable gun, and I like the pump fro the psychological effect.)

SWAT
Sidearm: Gen 4 Glock 22 w/ Flashlight and night sights. (Keeping the same sidearm force wide would encourage familiarity as one moves through the ranks. The .40 should be a powerful enough cartridge.)

Shotgun: Remington 870 12 ga. w/ mag tube extension, flashlight, side saddle and synthetic stock. (Great shotgun with plenty of useful accessories.)

Submachine Gun: H&K UMP 40 (Buy .40 in bulk, get a better deal. Also, the UMP is a nice shooter, with a 30 round mag.)

Rifle: Smith and Wesson, M&P15OR Rifle (Customizable, low cost.)

Sniper Rifle: M24 Sniper Weapon System (Might attract former military snipers to the force. Easy to use and dependable.)

SHNOMIDO

Fun game, Ill play

Patrol

Pistol- choice between PPQ and Sig 226, both .40.

Shotgun-whatever the cheapest pump is, Theyre all the same. My turn my rules! either Mossberg or Remington, whoever bids lowest.

Plain Clothes

Pistol- Choice between PPS and Sig 239, both 40. Guys would have the option of a PPK .380, if they arnt brand new to the force.

SWAT

Pistol- FNP .45 with threaded barrel, assuming also a suppressor. Guys would have the option of using a 1911, if they choose, and arnt brand new to the force.
SMG- UMP .45, threaded barrel, assuming a suppressor
Rifle- SCAR-16/L
Long range (as in "sniper") rifle-Whatever the guy chooses. if he can back it up on paper, it needs to work for him, hes the one taking the shots.

Explinations
For the pistols, i would like to give the choice both full size and compact of striker or DA/SA. The walther PPQ and PPS both get rave reviews, as well as the Sig's. Both will have borderline identical manual of arms to the big brother to the little brother.

For the shotgun, in my mind it really doesnt matter. Id have a couple pistol gripped stock-less, and a couple loaded to the top with accessories, flashlight etc, for different situations.

For the SWAT, i believe .45 is the best round to use suppressed. Cant back it up with facts, but its my belief and my turn at the game! :D Whether or not the suppressors would be used, the .45 and the weapons deployed will be very effective. The SCAR-16 (once again IMHO) is the best and brightest rifle out there, and its only downside is its price. I think i would do pretty good getting all my pieces from 3 companies, so this is my splurge. (edit- realized the UMP is from a fourth company...oh well, we only need a couple dozen! :p)

It would seem im a bit of a walther, sig and FN fanboy, and its a little true. Im an shameless FNH fan, love almost everything they make. A little bit with Sig, but really i just really want a 226. Im not a die hard walther fan, but i think they are making AMAZING striker fired weapons. The PPQ and PPS are the only "glock style" pistols that appeal to me. For some reason they wrangled in a non-striker guy with their designs.

Last edited:

jhenry

I would arms the force with 3 1/2 inch Smith and Wesson model 27's,double barrel 12gauge shotguns, and Thompsons along wth cut down Colt Monitors for special warrant service and SWAT. Sounds like a fun time.

pendennis

Oh, well, let's play...

Patrol Officers -
  • Colt 1911 Combat Commander, SS, load = 200gr Win STHP
  • Remington 870, 18" barrel, fiberglass stock, load = #4 buckshot
Detectives -
  • Same as patrol officer
SWAT -
  • Colt 1911 Full-size, SS, load = 200gr Win STHP
  • Special Weapon - M4-type AR15, Optical sight @ 1x, .223 62gr HP Match
  • "Sniper"-type rifle - Remington 700, heavy barrel, synthetic stock, Cal 308 match ammo, 168 SMK HPBT

All officers/detectives/SWAT may add custom stocks for better control.

Keep it simple, keep it uniform. Note full interchangeability for magazines.

Willie Lowman

Patrol

Hi-Point 9mm
H&R Topper 12 guage

Undercover

Lorcin 9mm

Swat

Cobray M-11
Siaga 12

I would steal what was left of the budget and skip the state.

wayneinFL

I would steal what was left of the budget and skip the state.

Hell if you want to go the cheap route, just make them all bobbies and issue them flashlights. That's easy to support. Just keep batteries and bulbs on hand.

You'd have to hope that the first officer who was issued a Hi-Point wouldn't shoot you before you could blow town.

That's the beauty of it. It would probably just jam up on him. Better run though, cause the cop would have a hell of a club in his hand.

jgcoastie

Patrol

Pistol - SigSauer P229DAK (.40 S&W)
Ammo - 180gr Hornady TAP​

Shotgun - Mission-appropriate Mossberg 500 (12ga)
Ammo - 00 Buck Hornady TAP​

Carbine - RRA Tactical Enrty Carbine (.223)
Optics - Trijicon Reflex Holosight, BUIS​
Ammo - 60gr Hornady TAP​

Plainclothes/Undercover

Pistol - Shooter's Choice of SigSauer P229 Series (.40 S&W)
Ammo - 180gr Hornady TAP​

S.W.A.T.

Pistol - Shooter's Choice of SigSauer P229 Series (.40 S&W)
Ammo - 180gr Hornady TAP)​

Shotgun - Mission-appropriate Mossberg 500 (12ga)
Ammo - 00 Buck Hornady TAP​

Carbine - 11.5" RRA Tactical Entry Carbine, select fire (.223)
Optics - Shooter's Choice in 1x up to 4x magnification​
Ammo - 60gr Hornady TAP​

Precision Rifle - Thompson Center Warlord (.308)
Optics - Vortex Viper PST FFP 4.5-16x50mm Mil-Dot​
Ammo - 168gr Hornady TAP​

Reasons for choices

SigSauer P229 Series - Works very well for the various federal/state/local agencies that use it. Reliable, and suitably sized for duty carry by most hand sizes. More classy than a Glock.

Mossberg 500 - Better controls for lefties; has a tang safety vs. the trigger guard safety of the Remington 870.

RRA Tactical Entry Carbine - Solid company with a good reputation. These exact rifles are in current service in my hometown PD and they are very happy with reliability and accuracy compared to other brands they have tried.

Thompson Center Warlord - Scarily accurate rifle. Outstanding workmanship and quality. One of the best names in the factory precision rifle category.

TheGoldenState

Patrol
Self-issued pistol of choice, between 9mm and .44 mag

Shotgun, Benelli M2, slug-00BUCK alternating

PlainClothes

Self-issued pistol of choice, between 9mm and .44 mag

Shotgun, Benelli M2 slug-00BUCK alternating

SWAT

Pistol: SW M&P .40
Shotgun: Benelli M4 with rails, lights, hologram, side saddle extra ammo.
Assault Rifle: LWRC 223 with rail-accesories and ACOG
Sniper Rilfe: Remington 700 in .300 RUM with Leopold Mark V and bipod.

Self issued works for both sides. You get the pistol of your liking, that your are most comfortable with (within requirements) and the department saves. Standard issued auto shotguns are provided if the S really HTF.

SWAT has to have strict uniformity.