What if?? .445 ranch hand

9ballbilly

What if a Rossi ranch hand .44mag were rechambered to .445 super mag?
Not for any particular reason, just a random thought.
Would the action bear up to the increased pressure?
hmm........

mes227

I LOVE the .445SM! You've got a great idea, assuming the Rossi is up the additional chamber pressure (the .445SM produces about 150% of the energy of a .44Mag. The SAAMI max pressure for a .44Mag is 36,000 psi but I've no idea what pressure the .445SM produces.

arentol

I wouldn't recommend trying it. R92's are rated for full pressure .44magnum, but not more.

If you still want to go ahead anyway I recommend you use a string to fire a couple hundred of these before doing any work on the gun:

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

On the off chance your gun survives then you might just be able to use .445 in it.... But, then again, if you can shoot that load safely then do you really need .445? I don't think it is any more powerful than that Buffalo Bore round anyway.

Walklightly

I wouldn't recommend trying it. R92's are rated for full pressure .44magnum, but not more.

If you still want to go ahead anyway I recommend you use a string to fire a couple hundred of these before doing any work on the gun:

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...ct_detail&p=54

On the off chance your gun survives then you might just be able to use .445 in it.... But, then again, if you can shoot that load safely then do you really need .445? I don't think it is any more powerful than that Buffalo Bore round anyway.

Yeah, I don't think the Rossi could handle BB 44mag 340g +P+ if they would even fit, or feed, so for Rossi to make a 445, I don't think they could do without making a whole new gun from the ground up. Any invester's out there for the R&D, retooling.....? Not to mention the 445 (aka super 44) is kind of dead isn't it?

arentol

Yeah, you would have to place the 340's in the chamber manually, only one in the gun at a time. Those things are huge.

Chesster

I have a late model 92 Rossi factory incarnate chambered for the .454 Casull which can generate a max PSI of 65000. Isn't that higher than the .445?

gak

Chesster said:
"I have a late model 92 Rossi factory incarnate chambered for the .454 Casull which can generate a max PSI of 65000. Isn't that higher than the .445?"

I don't know where the .454 is relative to the .445 but you are right in mentioning its use in the R92. Even so, the .454 R92 is beefed up internally to handle--over its lesser .44 Mag, .357 and "just" .45 Colt brethren, but it does suggest it (the .454) can be done in a Ranch Hand as well.

Walklightly

OP must not know of this. I didn't.

I have a late model 92 Rossi factory incarnate chambered for the .454 Casull which can generate a max PSI of 65000.

Yeah, why would you want a rare 445 (44 super) shell gun, when they already have a 454 casull?