What I need

Spydr1299

New to the forum and new to reloading here. I'm about to pick up the hornady lock n load press and was wondering what else I need to buy to begin loading 9mm and .223. Basically what doesn't come with the press that I will need. Thanks for any help/suggestions anyone has! Can't wait to go broke with the new hobby...!

hornady

Your best bet is buy the Hornady reloading manual. You are going to need a good reloading manual anyway, The Hornady manual is on the conservative side as to load data, but that’s not a bad think for a new reloader. You did not say which LNL you are buying, I am assuming you are talking about the Single stage. I would not recommend the Auto progressive for a new loader if you do not have someone to walk you threw the steps. Both are very good presses. I own the LNL auto progressive I also have a friend that is a new reloader. He jumped in with the Auto progressive, I have spent more than one evening at his house getting him back on course.
In any package deal you are getting the very basics, everyone modifies there set up to suit their needs.
The getting started section of most any reloading manual will cover your basic start up needs.

Spydr1299

I've got the manual and was looking to get the progressive press. I know it's not the best beginner press but I know it's something I'll be getting at some point anyway. I was mainly concerned about the types of dies needed that don't come with the press, shell plates?

m&p45acp10+1

Spyder I would recomend spending about another $50 or so dollars, and getting a Lee Breach Lock Challenger press to go with your progressive. You can get through the basics with it, and then step up to the progressive. Also I do not know of a singel reloader that stepped up to progressive reloading that does not still use thier single stage press.

hornady

As stated above a single stage press will always be useful, you mentioned the 223. I load 223 and from time to time I will come on Mil, brass, I use the RCBS primer pocket swag. This tool will only work on a single stage press, and there are other examples where a single stage comes in handy. I would not buy Lee dies, and I do not know this for fact, but have read they do not work well with the LNL auto progressive press. I would look into a used single stage, you can find them dirt cheap. As long as it is not a real dinosaur they will take all current Dies and shell holders. If you go to Mid-way or Mid-south shooters my proffered mail order out let. They will list shell plates for the LNL by round.
I have reloaded for 40 plus years, but have 3 presses on my bench. One being the LNL AP, the next a Redding Big boss for the big stuff, and my old Pacific power -C. the pacific dose not collect any dust its used on a regular bases.

studman5578

Spydr, welcome to TFL and welcome to the addiction of reloading. Some things you may wish to consider for your new loading setup that may or may not be in your package are the following

-case Gauge for the 223 rem
-caliper
-scale
-case sizing wax (I use one shot wax and love it)
-powder measure
-tumbler
-bullet puller
-hand priming tool (if you want, not required as you can prime on the press)
-dye sets
-case trimmer
-champher/deburr tool
-2 loading manuals

That's not an exhaustive list but it should get you started. I reccomend going onto YouTube and looking at videos of people's setups and seeing what they have and use.

hornady

Something I just happened to think of that is needed with auto progressive presses is a powder cop. This is a die set in the position after the powder dump that will indicate a double or light charge. I highly recommend this. Calipers were mentioned, buy a good set, you will use them as long as you reload.
Good luck be safe, and take it slow and easy.

Don P

What I need

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New to the forum and new to reloading here. I'm about to pick up the hornady lock n load press and was wondering what else I need to buy to begin loading 9mm and .223. Basically what doesn't come with the press that I will need. Thanks for any help/suggestions anyone has! Can't wait to go broke with the new hobby...!

What you need to do is read the stickies at the top of this section of the forum. All of them are a wealth of knowledge

serf 'rett

yup pretty broke as well!

And you ain't even started buyin' primers, powder, bullets and then some more primers, power, bullets cause they might shoot better, softer, tighter, harder, farther, make tiny holes in paper, blow apart watermelons, etc, etc.

I strongly suspect many of us got into reloading 'cause we were pretty well broke and now we stay plenty broke 'cause we reload.

Load with care. Measure everything. Double check powder weights and cartridge lengths. If you're using a .223 semi-automatic, make sure your primers are seated deep enough to avoid a slam fire.