What HK needs--P7000!

Greg Bell

Guys,

What HK needs to do to differentiate themselves from the rest of the Glock/Sig clones is to return to their roots. Honestly, HK is responsible for most of the handgun trends of the last 20 years--but they always seem to miss their own boat (See VP70/P9/USP accesory rails, sheet metal pistols (P9), etc). IMHO, their greatest innovation is the realization of the squeeze-cocking systm. It is safe and fast--a combination that eludes all other handgun designs. In a time that Oprah has more to do with gun laws than firearms engineers--wouldn't it be nice if we could work their own rhetoric against them. I saw some firearms "expert" on O-fat exlain how the old lemon-squeeze concept was so great but unadopted by irresponsible gun manufacturers. The P7 is simmilar. HK needs to reintroduce the P7 in a USP Compact form-factor/locking action with extensive use of polymers. Make an optional frame mounted safety availible--and an internal lock. The ultimate passive "smart" gun. Best of all, we get a great gun, hopefully cheaper, with a wider variety of calibers.

Or--just build a titanium framed P7 M8 and Oprah can go eat a sandwich. ;)

[This message has been edited by Greg Bell (edited October 27, 2000).]

cobraman

Well I partially argee. They need to go back to the squeeze cocker. But I dont care for the USP series of pistols They overly large and dont have the same quality feel of the P7 to me

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I am a big fan of the P7 concept. I would love to see a more modernized (read: cheaper) version of this concept. It'd keep my P7M8 from feeling so lonely in my currently Glock-dominated autopistol collection...

------------------
"..but never ever Fear. Fear is for the enemy. Fear and Bullets."
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

SAWBONES

Agreed.
They've WAY over-emphasized the "USP" variants, including the Expert, Tactical, and SOCOM/Mk23.
All of these have that nasty DA first shot unless you keep the given weapon in a "cocked & locked" condition, or get a DAO (horrors!) "Variant".

Unfortunately, a return to earlier (even if better) principles is always a philosphical unlikelihood, and H&K's tenuous position in the free market, both per civilian and law-enforcement handgun sales, make it unlikely we'll see a return to more-expensive manufacturing processes. I'll just hang onto both my P7M8s.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."