What happens with the Sigma?

Oysterboy

Since S&W no longer make Sigmas are they going to be forgotten or become collectibles?

I have the 9mm. For a cheap gun they shoot good.

SamNavy

I'm pretty sure I've never heard anything favorable said about Sigmas that wasn't related to price... and am absolutely certain that I've heard the words "worst trigger I've ever pulled" on more than one occasion. Your average HiPoint will be a collectible long before a Sigma.

CajunBass

I had a Sigma. I thought it was pretty decent. The trigger wasn't the best, but it was far from "the worst" I ever owned.

I got rid of it because I just can't make myself warm up to poly semi-auto's.

Will they be collectable? I doubt it, but that's just a SWAG. I doubt you'll put your kids through college with one.

Last edited:

Oysterboy

LOL, I didn't think they're gonna worth anything but I'm keeping mine. The trigger ain't so bad once you remove the torsion spring which I did.

Get it? A torsion spring that add poundage to the trigger. Jeez.

Never had a misfire after close to 2000 rounds.

Technosavant

I don't see them becoming collectible. They're functional and reliable, if kinda rough.

But, they haven't fully quit making them (that I am aware of)... they just refined the design and now it's called the SD series.

DannyB1954

I think too many of them were made for them to have a collectors value. They became the SD.

Last edited:

Wreck-n-Crew

They are on the third generation/version I believe. However that is technically speaking. They dropped the Sigma name in the SD series. Two generations previously carried the Sigma name.

They even had compact models. The older SW Sigma line had a 4.5" barrel they all are 4" now. Even had a ported version. Never know what you can dig up!

The newer SD9VE has front and rear slide serrations, Rail mount, and I believe it is when they went to the 16 round Mags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Sigma

biohazard313

i have a SD40Ve. the newest in the sigma line. well its the SD line. they are cheap $350 at my LGS. better feel in my hand. 14+1 cap. and i am 100% happy with it. got a new trigger and spring set from apex and it took a 8+ pull on a jointed trigger with severe over travel to a crisp 5.5lb with smooth pulls and resets. and its built like a glock so takedown and maintenance is a peice of cake

jmr40

The first generation was awful. I bought an early version. It broke within 25 rounds and was returned to S&W. After 5 months, 2 more trips back to Smith and less than 50 rounds fired they finally sent me a new gun. The newer version. This obviously left a bad taste in my mouth so I traded the new gun unfired for a Glock and never looked back. MY LGS was aware of the issues and the guy allowed me the full price I paid on the original gun in trade so I lost nothing. He got a new unfired updated Sigma.

To their credit S&W worked the bugs out and I never heard any real complaints about the redesigned guns. Trigger wasn't great, but they were selling SS versions for $279 at one time. For a cheap gun that would go bang every time I almost reconsidered and bought another. Even with the bad experience I had I think I'd recommend one for someone looking for a budget gun.

Leejack

The Sigma won't be a collectors gun in my opinion. It was given birth under a dark cloud and never fully recovered from the unfavorable reputation of the early models. The latest models, the VE series were decent guns. I had one and it was accurate, reliable, simple and had wonderful ergonomics. I had no problem with the heavy trigger, but I realize that many today have to have a light trigger in order to shoot accurately enough to satisfy their ego. But in fairness, the trigger was the least desirable part of the gun as it was heavy and long, but mine was smooth and got better over time, no grittiness that other people complained about. I sold mine to help fund college, but if I had it today I would keep it.

The new SD series was developed from the sigma line and looks very much like the sigma, but is not a sigma, despite what "the internet gurus" say. Smith made some design enhancements and shaved the trigger weight down from 10-12 lbs to about 8. For a self defense gun without a safety this shouldn't be hard to manage at all, especially for revolver shooters.

carguychris

grizz223 said:
I'm pretty sure they just rebranded them as the SD9 and SD40 but I could be wrong.
Wreck-n-Crew said:
They are on the third generation/version I believe. However that is technically speaking. They dropped the Sigma name in the SD series. Two generations previously carried the Sigma name.
Grizz223 and Wreck-n-Crew are essentially correct. However, several members of the Sigma family didn't survive the first generation; more below.
Wreck-n-Crew said:
They even had compact models.
I think this requires a little more explanation.

The 2nd and 3rd-gen models are the same size as the 1st-gen compacts. As with a G19, they are arguably only compact in a relative sense. :)

However, the 1st-generation included a pair of single-stack Sigma subcompacts- the SW9M and SW380- but they were discontinued very quickly, and even the most die-hard S&W apologists generally agree that they're junk. :rolleyes:

Here's a complete rundown of the Sigma series to date:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5316047&postcount=11

presspics

Great little guns!! They won't be collectible or anything and I'm sure that S&W will support them for quite a while.

As far as the trigger goes...I just did a trigger job on one for a friend of a friend using the Galloway SIGMA kit. The trigger feels fantastic. Now my Glock 19 feels like crap. I may have to go and buy a SIGMA for myself.

el_chupo_

No, it wont be a collector piece. A $300 budget gun that was mass produced, sold by the thousands, with most being rarely fired will not reach any kind of future collector value status.

Friend just bought one of the new 9mm SD-VE or whatever they are called, hope to get to shoot it soon to compare to the M&P. In dry firing, the trigger isnt too far off my M&P 45 trigger, ergo's are decent for a large grip pistol, sights seem decent enough for a budget gun.