What gun for the wife?

W Turner

My wife hs decided she no longer likes her Glock, so....what now? Here is what we have tried so far and why they didnt work out:
Springfield ultra-compact .45 (too much recoil)
Beretta 84 w/ hicaps (not enough power)
Glock 17 (too much recoil)
Glock 19C (she just doesnt shoot it well)
As you can see she is recoil sensitive and a .380/9mm chambering is about all she can handle comfortably. The probability of her actually CARRYING this gun is right up there with expecting the Expo's to be in the world series next year. AND to screw it all up, she refuses to carry a revolver. So, any help is appreciated....

Here are the criteria:
.380/9mm
small grip (single stack)
not heavy on recoil
either single or safe action or light,smooth double action

thanks, Mongo

Brian Busch

If the G17 recoils too much, 9mm is out. Thats the easiest shooting 9mm I've ever shot, next to my HK P7 that is. And it sounds like the P7 would be too big.

I'd go try a Colt Mustang Pocketlite.

You could also look at a NAA Guardian .380 with a 'smithed trigger for a small double action.

CZ_

Sig 225 or Sig 239 in 9mm. Single stack, good DA trigger pull combined with very good SA trigger pull. Recoil is moderate (pronouced muzzle flip), but not much going backwards. Have her try the Sigs out. Also, check out the CZ 83 and Sig P232 stainless. They are in .380 ACP.

Oh, and don't rule out the Glock 26 either. I know this is subjective, but in my hands it seems to recoil LESS than the Glock 17/19. The Glock 26 is one of the mildest recoiling 9mm's I've shot. I'm very happy with mine.

Jason F

A couple ideas...

Para Ordnance C7.45LDA (might be the same prob as the SA Ultra though, too much recoil for her)
http://www.paraord.com/pages/single/645.html

Para Ordnance P10.9 (not sure, but it might be a double stack; also available in .40 S&W)
http://www.paraord.com/pages/pseries/p109.html

Kel-Tec P11 (double stack, but it's a small DA 9mm)
http://www.kel-tec.com/prod01.htm

Kel-Tec P32 (so it's a smaller caliber, but, it might work for her)
http://www.kel-tec.com/prod02.htm

Walther PPK/S or PPK
http://www.walther-usa.com/ppks.htm

Kimber Ultra Carry (it's not available in 9 or .380, but it is in .40S&W)
http://www.kimberamerica.com/Ultra_Ultra_Ten_II.htm

Beretta 9000S (available in 9mm in either DA/SA or DAO)
http://www.beretta.com/p_dettaglio.asp?discipline=compact size&segment=difesa&Model=9000 S

Good luck with your search!!

dairycreek

Look at a CZ 83!

It is a .380 in all steel. A little heavier than many .380's and has much less recoil. Good ergonomics, and mine has functioned flawlessly with absolutely any ammo that I have used.

joeislove

Steyr M9

I've only shot a friend's M40, but I really liked the grip; both the shape and the angle made it really easy to fire and handle. I imagine the M9 would be pretty similar. They also make a compact frame, called the S9.

The trapezoid sights took some getting used to, though. I imagine if you shoot it for a while, you'd get used to them, but I've never shot anything with sights like that.

Kevinch

:confused: I'm confused! :confused:

You stated this....
The probability of her actually CARRYING this gun is right up there with expecting the Expo's to be in the world series next year.
....which would seem to indicate she won't be carrying.

Next sentence was this....
AND to screw it all up, she refuses to carry a revolver.
....which would seem to indicate that she prefers to carry a semi-auto.....?

So..what is this gun for? Defense around the home and/or range use?

CZ83-v.jpg

A very soft recoil .380ACP is the CZ 83. Mine is about the same size as my KIMBER ULTRA CDP(except in the slide), but as it is all steel & fires the .380ACP feels soft in recoil, even though it is a blowback. The safety is like a 1911, flick it up to lock the hammer back & carry cocked & locked. However, the hammer can be dropped manually to carry in DA/SA mode.

pt938.gif

Another choice might be this TAURUS PT-938. It's available in blue or stainless, and with the safety you have the option of flicking it up to carry cocked & locked (as a 1911) of pushing it down to decock (as a Ruger, S&W, etc. DA/SA auto).

These are not small pocket guns...but you seem to indicate she won't be carrying, & the larger sized, heavier .380ACP pistols will have much less recoil.

mcole

you might give some consideration to a ppk in.380 or a ruger sp101 in the .32 mag or .38/.357. mcole

Pointblank2K

When we picked out a handgun for my wife we tried several...wheelguns and auto's...she liked the semi-auto's better so we then bought her a Bersa Thunder .380 which she liked very much...that handgun got her feeling comfortable with shooting...up to this point she was against shooting at all! After she got used to the Bersa...and shot my Ruger .40 and my buddies 45's she now likes the .40 much better than the Bersa (go figure) and the .40 is the gun she feels most comfortable with (and the one she shoots the best) so the moral of the story is...the Bersa is a great dependable and affordable semi-auto...and because my wife likes one that I owned already...I got a new handgun out of the deal:D
Tony.

KSFreeman

Any gun you get for a wife is a good trade.

If you like guns, let's all remember those three little words that can change your life and prevent you from owning firearms or ammunition, "he hit me."

croyance

What specifically did she not like about her Glock, and which model was it?

If she will not be using this gun for carry, is a larger gun okay? It seems to leave only home defense after all.

How about a 1911 in 9 mm? It can be fitted with slim grips, which makes it even more thin. IIRC Springfield offers one. All that mass and a design intended for a .45 ACP should soak up a lot of recoil.

On the longer side, there is also the Glock 34. I have fired the G35 and it recoiled less than most 9mm, to me. The same frame in a 9 mm should be softer recoiling. The down side is that with the longer barrel/slide, it is harder to conceal. It seems like your wife isn't going to be carrying anyway.

FlyinGN

Have you looked at a Sig 232 in 380? A small light gun that fits well in a smaller hand. My wife loves this gun:)

Frank

Elvis

If she's like my wife she's gonna want something really big and powerful, which is why mine married me;) . Now she's content well protected.

Slabside

Quickest solution, it would seem from what you've said, would be to have her just to practice, practice, practice, with the Glock 19. This way, you keep the economics of 9mm ammo and you already know about/have used this type weapon. Her comfort level will increase w/ this weapon as her accuracy improves.

Slabside

p.s. I guess I should be thankful that my wife shoots everything that I do...and usually better!:rolleyes:

JohnKSa

Administrator
Why are you asking for recommendations in .380 when you've already stated that the Beretta 84 with hi-caps wasn't powerful enough? I can't think of any .380 that's going to be more powerful... Also, how did you manage to make such a determination (about it not being powerful enough)?

Since you have pretty much ruled out .380, in 9mm, you might try the H&K USP. It's the only 9mm I have that my wife can rack the slide on. She also says it recoils much less than my Glock 17--I can't tell a difference, but she can.

However, her favorite gun is her Beretta model 86 (same as the 84, but with the tip-up barrel and single-stack mags).