What good is a C&R license?

lonegunman

What is it used for?

Why would you want or need one?

To me, it looks like a good way to get registered with the govt as a gun owner... what the advantage supposed to be?

ACP230

Some states only allow possession of Curio & Relic machine guns. With a C&R license you can own C&R MGs.

Funfunfunfunfunfun!

And that was only a short burst.

lonegunman

Tamara and others:

So what would a C&R type gun be? Made before a certain date?
How intrusive and difficult is it to get a license?

EOD Guy

Tamara and others:

So what would a C&R type gun be? Made before a certain date?
How intrusive and difficult is it to get a license?

A C&R firearm is one that was manufactured more than 50 years ago or which is on the BATF C&R list. In order to apply for a license, you need to fill out 2 forms and send $30 to the BATF. The license is good for 3 years. The license will also allow you to receive dealer pricing from several companies such as Brownell's, Midway, Champion's Choice, etc.

See the link for more information:

http://www.cruffler.com/becomingcruffler.html

OkieCruffler

It's good for several things,

1) Keeping your savings account to a bare mininum.

2) Getting a permanent residue of cosmoline under the fingernails.

3) Keeping The Wife from buying too many shoes. (no room in the closet any more)

4) Tattooing a permanent hemotoma on your shooting shoulder. (when you only pay $50 for a rifle you can afford alot of ammo)

bastiat

You can also get dealer discounts from places like Brownells when you give them a copy of your C&R license.

From everything I've heard, it seems like you'll recoup the cost of your C&R license after your first couple transfers. If you buy from C&R discounting dealers, you'll save even more.

TexasVet

See thread on "how many guns did you buy this year.":D
I decided long ago that I don't CARE how many lists I'm on. If they don't have me down by now, I'M doing something wrong!

El Rojo

Mail order is the biggest thing for me. I live in the PRK so technically everything here is supposed to get background checked and waiting period for 10 days. With a C&R, I don't have to wait on old guns, I can mail order them, and more importantly I get them cheaper. I don't really care what the government knows. Besides, C&R holders are supposed to just keep a "bound book" of their purchases and "occasional" sales. If the feds come a running, you can just claim the book burned in a fire. If they come running, are you going to be at home anyway?

theberettaman

What good is a C&R license?

With a C&R you can no longer be accused of "having an arsenal of weapons",you now are the more PC "Collector"!:D

cwalker3

I've had my C & R about 2 years now and have saved hundreds of dollars in FFL transfer fees alone. When you factor in the sizeable discounts you get from Brownells and Midway, the benefits just multiply. I am a collector of Mosin Nagants and Mauser rifles and with the C & R can get these guns for about 1/3 to 1/2 what I would pay at a gun or pawn shop. And it plain just does my heart good to see that BBT showing up with another long cardboard box.

Now the downside is that the ATF can inspect your collection and bound book once a year, if they choose to. However, I've never heard of this happening, though I'm sure it has at one time or another. And as far as being 'on the list' is concerned, if you've ever bought a handgun you're already on it. And for that matter, as long as FFL's have to keep 4473's forever and a day, the boys in black can always go that route to see whose a gunowner anyway.

WilderBill

Something I have always wondered about is if you get the C & R, then see an add with a price for a single gun and a better price for 10 or more, can you buy 10, keep the best one, then sell off the rest, or do you have to keep them for some specified period of time first? :confused:

Kharn

My C&R license just arrived on Friday.
C&R: $30 for three years
Two Yugo SKSs from AIM (One E, one VG): $109.95 and $129.95
Shipping: Free
Total: $269.90

Or, I could have paid $400+tax or so for the two of them at a gunshop; this way, they arrive right at my door, so I dont have to deal with Beavis and Butthead down at the local FFL (who only prefer to deal with sporting guns and dont like a 21 year old checking out all the hardware).

Kharn

ctdonath

A C&R license is practically the only way to be a federally certified card-carrying "good guy". In a society rapidly moving toward "guilty until proven innocent", and where criminals are freed and their victims charged with crimes, a C&R license shows the gov't trusts you SO MUCH as to let you have battle rifles shipped to your door with only a tiny bit of paperwork (entirely kept by you).

theberettaman

WilderBill,it is perfectly legal to buy several C&R guns at once,keep the best,and dispose of the rest.Museums do it all the time.This is called enhancing your collection.Just log them all in and out of you bound book.

BigG

With C&R license, if you sell a gun do you have to get buyer to fill out 4473 and do an instant background check like a regular FFL?

ctdonath

If you sell to someone in-state, you just record in your book who you sold it to - no background check, no yellow form, just write down their name, address, and some form of ID (usually driver's license number).

If you sell out-of-state, you have to transfer it to either an FFL or C&R holder first, at which point it's their problem to do any paperwork on the buyer.