What flavor Garand is this?

Ledbetter

Springfield Armory
Serial # 721,XXX
(Date of Mfr. 1942)
Barrel SA--6-50
99% Parkerizing
Receiver has no electropencil or other "extra" markings.
All new SA internal parts, except the used SA op rod.
Brand new SA Trigger guard assembly

Stock looks very old, but solid. Stock has no stamping marks at all except that the rifle's serial number is stamped into the bottom of the buttstock, behind the trigger guard. Handguards are much newer.

I'm thinking WWII rifle rebuilt in 1950 either at a post armory or at SA during the post war "rebuilding program." Any other guesses?

Regards,

Ledbetter

vanfunk

Danish Garand

The Danes typically stamped serial numbers on the stocks of their "borrowed" M1's. I'd be confident (90%) that your rifle is a Danish return. Any small Beretta or Breda parts on your piece?
Check out www.jouster.com for all the help you'll ever need on the M1 Garand.
vanfunk

Coronach

That stock sounds exactly like my Dane's. Are you sure it has a springfield bbl? If it had a VAR, it would be a dane for sure. Of course, I'll bet some of them never were rebarreled...

Mike

swampyMO

Ledbetter,

No doubt about it, you have a USGI M1 that was loaned to the Danes in the early 50's then recently repatriated.

The CMP currently sells Dane return rifles for between $375 and $450. Good rifles at a good price.

Swampy

Ledbetter

My first Garand, a Springfield Dane

Springfield receiver from July 1942. Springfield barrel from June, 1950. That's just about right for a rifle that would have re-barrelled and refinished after WWII and then loaned to the Danes along with 20,000 others that, because they were loaned, were never stamped on the receiver with Danish markings.

It's back home now. And no worse for wear. Looks like it's seen less than 500 rounds through it. I'm going to shoot it in two hours. Listen for the mighty roar of freedom.

Regards.

Ledbetter

Wow.

It's a keeper. Twin Cities surplus made some fine groups and the results of the Lake City match I fed it were very gratifying indeed.

Although all the parts that show are marked SA, I did find one BMB part in the trigger group.

Thanks for all your replies. Add a voice to freedom's roar, give a Garand a good home.:D

Regards