What factory ammo shoots best in your S&W model 327 Performance Center .357?

Capt Rick Hiott

I just bought one and didn't want to spend a lot of time looking to see what is the most accurate...…

Its hunting season here in SC and I wanted my girlfriend to get her first deer with it. It has a MatchDot II red dot scope on it.

Any help guys? Thanks!

grinner

I haven’t found any .357 Magnum that isn’t accurate in it, but you will feel some more than others. I’ve found Remington 125 grain semi-jacketed HP to be pretty accurate up to 25 yards. It’s a pretty high velocity round, but that’s what you want if you are going to hunt deer with it.

One word of caution if it is a new gun. Shoot it several hundred times with the stuff you intend to use to make sure it functions properly. Mine had to go back to S&W after only a hundred rounds of .357 through it because the extractor rod came out and I couldn’t get it back together. They replaced the entire yoke, so I suspect it cracked.

Capt Rick Hiott

Like I said HVR,,,Il be hunting deer with it so it will have to be .357 Mag ammo...…..5" barrel. Thanks.

Grinner,,,,,I really didn't want to use a hollow point. Looking more at a flat meplat semi-jacket. Thanks for the heads up about the extractor rod.

HighValleyRanch

I've chronographed the Buffalobore .357 outdoorsman Keith hardcast out of my Ruger security six, 4" and got a whooping 1400 fps with the 180 grain bullet! That yields 783 foot pounds ME. I'm sure that would put a deer down. Quite manageable in the 36 ounce Ruger.

briandg

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/xtp#!/

This may be good enough.

Your velocity won't be high enough to require a truly heavy bullet, a 158 grain hollow point from any of the premium makers will be adequate. Soft point bullets will open slowly, maybe too slowly for handgun velocities. There is approximately a 300 fps difference between 5" and 18" velocities, and that matters.

Dave T

You will have to try it. Every barrel is different.

Nanuk is absolutely correct. What shoots good in his gun, or my gun, has little or nothing to do with what shoots good in your gun. Just like all the rest of the 357 Mag owners, you have to try different ammo or loads to find what works for you and your individual gun.

Dave

Capt Rick Hiott

I understand about different guns like different ammo, I just thought somebody might give me a starting point with factory ammo.
( I went through this with my .454)

I do not reload.

Briandg,,,I don't like hunting with hollow points. I want a pass through for a good blood trail.
I will be hunting up close with this gun so Im looking for a bullet with a semi jacket soft point meplat. Thanks!

Accuracy and penetration is very important! (To me and her) Hahahahaha

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

I'll find the article, but the flat point on small calibers doesn't matter--almost at all.

The physics only work like you might think on large--44mag and then up to the large rifle rounds.

I know! Bold statement without the article, but I shall return soon.

Also...eek to the 125gr Remington. L frame is suppose to handle the lighter, but this specific load is a the devil for wear and tear.

Bold statements...I know. I know.