What else do I need?

Delaware_Dan

I have been accumulating for a while now and I have all my major bases covered. (I think) The only thing I dont own is a shotgun, and that's because I just sold one that I NEVER shot. I know, I know, it's ideal for HD but I go a different route. That said, what do I still need?

So far we have:

Handguns:
Ruger MKIII .22lr

Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

CZ 75 B SA 9mm

RIA Tactical 1911 .45acp

Ruger GP100 4" SS .357 mag

Longguns
Saiga 7.62x39

Ruger 10/22 .22lr

Kel-tec Sub2000 carbine 9mm

So what am I missing that would "complete" my colection? I am open to ANY ideas whatsoever so bring 'em on. The only thing that comes to mind right away is a nice S&W pre-lock snub. I dont shoot long guns but once a year so I'm leaning more towards handguns right now. What do you suggest?

rauke

Hi, Delaware_Dan!

You never mentioned how many people in your home would actually be qualified to act (take up arms) in a home-invasion scenario, but it certainly looks as if you have enough hardware for two to four defenders to share.

You have put together a pretty hard-working combination of weapons; personally, I can't think of any thing more that would be required, except perhaps the correct peripherals ("accessories") to go with your guns.

Have you got good tactical lights and/or tritium sights and laser-aiming devices? They can go a long way towards enhancing the performance of the excellent equipment you already have.

P.S. --- Don't forget a decent stash of ammo!

cerberus65

Sticking just to handguns...

A S&W snubby is a great choice. Beyond that you probably need one or more pocket guns in .32 ACP or .380 ACP. They are the ultimate in concealability.

ZeSpectre

Whal pard, it 'pears that yer kinda light in the levergun department.
So y'all oughter saddle up n' ride down to the store n' pick yerself up a good Marlin 336.
Or if'ns ya want sumthin lighter ta plink with then I rekon a Henry 001 will do ya fine.

Yeeee Haw!

lee n. field

So far we have:

Handguns:
Ruger MKIII .22lr
Sig Sauer P250c 9mm
CZ 75 B SA 9mm
RIA Tactical 1911 .45acp
Ruger GP100 4" SS .357 mag

Longguns
Saiga 7.62x39
Ruger 10/22 .22lr
Kel-tec Sub2000 carbine 9mm

Dude, I'd say you're set pretty well.

Maybe a snubbie. What do you actually want to do with these tools/toys?

Housezealot

sounds to me like you don't "need" anything else, doesn't mean you can't buy anything else, I quit "needing" anything new a long time ago (don't tell my wife!;)) It sounds like a rifle set up for long range shooting might round things out though, I am now to the point were I am getting a kick out of buying things I have no use for when I should be deticating more time and money to practicing with what I have, so I know were you are coming from.

Last edited:

Hellbilly5000

A lever action .357 magnum rifle
Marlin357_Full.jpg

Delaware_Dan

What do you actually want to do with these tools/toys?

Now more than ever I have migrated toward collecting, and shooting only occasionally, maybe once a month. Idealy I would like to accumulate a nice "nest egg" that I can go out and plink with, and still hold it's resale value in case I get hurt or something comes up.(I don't have health insurance) So far everything I have bought is holding it value or has gone up in value as I bought everything at a pretty good price.

Honestly I'm just looking for an excuse to make a trip to the toy store to to get something new. I would love a bolt action .308, but the rifle range around here is a PITA. So I'm pretty much a pistol shooter. I miss St. Louis where you could just drive to the farm and have a blast.

Last edited:

rauke

Believe me, I understand how you feel!

Mate, you should take those trips to the toy stores, even if it just means looking around.

You're certainly not going to find any new toys by staying away from the sources. The folks that run the gun dealerships tend to be pretty friendly, as far as I can tell; give them an idea of what you're after, and most of them will ring you soon as it crosses their threshold.

Stay in the loop! Not indulging yourself can be downright depressing!

10-96

Well, it looks like your wallet is safe from period specific problems.:D
Have you looked at things like Pre-1945 S&W's? Single actions? Mil-Surp's?

LordofWar

Out of all that you've got my pick would be the Sig.

If I were you I'd keep it as follows:

Sig 250c
Glock 19
Benelli M4
Beretta Teknys Gold (Just in case I develop interest in hunting/sporting)
HK MP5A3
Or MP5K-PDW

Enough for me to last any criminal intrusion EFFECTIVELY.

chris in va

Looks like it's time to just go shoot the darn things.

About the shotgun, have you tried clays yet? Probably the most fun you can have with a firearm, except maybe shooting Tannerite.

I gotta say your choice in guns is extremely well thought out and a good representation of all the 'best' normal cost firearms on the market.

Delaware_Dan

About the shotgun, have you tried clays yet?

Out of all the different kinds of shooting I've done, I've never shot clays once. You might be on to something.

Oh, and I ran the lever action idea by my girlfirend thinking she would laugh and ask me if I was a cowboy, but after I explained to her what a lever action is, she said "neat, we should get one of those". So looks like I might be getting a lever gun. Now if I can only find one in .357 stainless...

gb_in_ga

You need a scoped rifle in a longer range round for use in the 200+ yard ranges. Yes, I note where you say that you don't shoot long gun all that much, and I can appreciate that. But you need one all the same.

You need a lever action rifle -- a Marlin 336 will do, but that is by no means the only option -- if anything for the tradition it brings. Besides that, they are fun and for closer in, shorter range work they are just the ticket. .35 Remington gives more oomph, but .30-30 is fine and has the tradition associated with it. Or, go the big bore route. Or go the pistol caliber carbine route. You can immerse yourself in lever actions and collect them to your heart's content, if ya' catch my drift.

You need a S&W K frame revolver. Everybody needs a K frame.

You don't have a single action revolver.

You don't have a big bore revolver.

Oh, and I ran the lever action idea by my girlfirend thinking she would laugh and ask me if I was a cowboy, but after I explained to her what a lever action is, she said "neat, we should get one of those". So looks like I might be getting a lever gun. Now if I can only find one in .357 stainless...
Not bad thinking, but I'm not so sure that you're going to be able to find a lever action .357 Mag in stainless. Marlin makes a nice blued one though. Marlin does make a .44 Mag in stainless, however. I think that Taurus makes a pump .357 Mag in stainless but I'm not sold on how good of a rifle it is.

So y'all oughter saddle up n' ride down to the store n' pick yerself up a good Marlin 336.
You link to a Marlin 336A. That's what I bought just this past Thanksgiving (Black Friday sale). Mine came with the scope package. The rifle is nice and the price is right. Not a top grade 336C, but nice all the same. But the scope is a Chinese made POS. Mine rattled loose in less than 3 boxes of ammo. One of the lenses inside shook completely loose, on a .30-30 no less. Even so, the price was right -- just don't count on anything out of the scope. FWIW, I've got a replacement scope -- name brand, this time (Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 with low profile QRW rings) -- on order, it just hasn't arrived yet.

Last edited: