What does pinned and recessed mean?

Gunner's mate

Pinned and Rec.

I believe that the two terms mean pinned barrel and recessed cylinder chambers. I think the barrels were pinned on Smiths until 1982, at least on the J frames. I'm not sure if there was any real benefit to pinning the barrels but sellers often use this as a marketing point on used guns.

Recessed cylinder bore chambers provided extra protection for the case especially in high performance cartridges like the .357. The recesses allowed the entire shell to be surrounded by metal, including the sides of the base of the cartridge. With modern metals I don't know if it is even necessary on today's cartridges. Excepting, of course, the really high pressure specialty cartridges. But then again, I could be wrong. I'm no expert, but I play one on tv.;)

Pretty much what Gunner's Mate said.

The pin locked the barrel into place, and was inserted in the top of the frame and just ahead of the cylinder cut, which locked the barrel extension into place.

This mechanical lock meant that the barrel didn't have to be torqued into place quite so tightly.

Some Smiths made after the pin was dropped were too tightly torqued, leading to barrel problems.

The recessed chambers was originally done as a safety measure, but really wasn't necessary, and over time became something of a trademark for S&W. The first centerfire guns with recessed chambers was the .357 Magnum, introduced in 1935.

All rimfires still have recessed chambers, which is more of a safety issue as the rim can blow out on a .22.

Then again, what do I know about all of this. I'm simply horribly, horribly, biased against Smith & Wesson, to the tune of having purchased 13 of them now.

C.R.Sam

What Mike said.
All the Magnums had recessed chambers untill 82.

Low installation torque required with pinned barrel means more likely front sight will be aligned and less likely barrel will be stretched during assembly. The barrel distortion is readily appearant in a lot of the stainless guns.

Sam

RogerC

Then again, what do I know about all of this. I'm simply horribly, horribly, biased against Smith & Wesson, to the tune of having purchased 13 of them now.

Mike,

You really DON'T get it, do you?

I've worked on more than one S&W revolver with a pinned barrel that, once the pin is removed, the barrel can be unscrewed by hand.

Takes some effort to crack it free, especially if it's an older gun, but several days soaking with WD-40 (yes, I do use WD-40 on guns, SOMETIMES :) ) and a trip to the freezer helps.

Too many Smiths are coming from the factory these days with overtorqued barrels and sights that aren't vertical due to overtorquing.