what does "grain" refer to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

horatioo

Is it the amount of powder in a cartridge or is it how much the bullet weighs? I thought it was the latter but was told it means how much powder?

Also kind of along the same lines what do the numbers mean in "7.62 x 39"?

Thanks

zoomie

Is it the amount of powder in a cartridge or is it how much the bullet weighs?
Yes.
I thought it was the latter but was told it means how much powder?
Both right. 7000 grains per pound.
Also kind of along the same lines what do the numbers mean in "7.62 x 39"?
Generally:
7.62 = the bullet diameter in mm
39 = the case length in mm

rjrivero

Grain is a unit of measurement for Mass. Bullets are typically weighed in grains, and so is powder.

If you're looking at a box of loaded ammo, the grains listed are the mass of the bullet itself.

If you're looking at a chart for loading ammo, it will tell you the grains of the bullet, as well as the grains of a specific powder needed to load to a given velocity and pressure.

As for your second question: 7.62 x 39 means 7.62mm diameter bullet in a cartridge loaded to 39mm length case.

Edit: Sorry, I was typing as you guys were obviously discussing. I need to learn to type faster, I guess. ;)

Doublestack

A typical label on one of my reloaded ammo boxes will look like this:

.45ACP
230gr. RN-FMJ
Win. 231 @ X.Xgrs.

Velocity: XXX FPS

This means that the bullet (projectile) weight is 230 grains, it is a Round Nose Full Metal Jacket design, and it is sitting over XX grains of Winchester 231 powder for a velocity of XXX feet per second.

What you see on a box of factory ammo in a gun store will usually be the weight of the bullet only. Example: Remington 185gr. JHP. This refers to a jacketed hollow point that weighs 185 grains.

DS

Double J

Grains

Originally the term we use as a "grain" was derived from one grain of wheat. It takes about 7000 grains of wheat to make a pound. Today, we use grains by volume or weight which isn't exactly the same thing at all.

ISC

I never heard of a grain as a unit of volume.

One gram contains 15.432 grains. One grain is .0648 grams

Grains are used to measure weights of bullets, powder charges, medicine, and jewels, but I think the jewel grain weight is different than what we use for firearms.

Don P

Is it the amount of powder in a cartridge or is it how much the bullet weighs
?

As stated it is both the weight of the powder and the weight of the bullet.:cool:

Today, we use grains by volume or weight which isn't exactly the same thing at all.

If you are using the dippers that come with the Lee dies, then you are measuring by volume. Weight and volume are apples and oranges. A pound of powder is a pound of powder and how much powder in weight that would fit in a 1 cubic box is what is known as volume.
Example: 1 gallon of water weighs 8.33 pounds. 1 cubic foot of water ( Volume ) weighs 62.4 pounds and is in ( Volume ) 7.49 gallons
Hopefully this clarified things for all.

Last edited:

brickeyee

Today, we use grains by volume or weight which isn't exactly the same thing at all.
Grains are mass.
You can use volume to measure powder, but you are measuring out a volume, not a mass. You will either adjust a powder measure using a scale to deliver the mass you want based on the scales measuring volume, or you are stuck with whatever mass a dipper throws unless you change the volume of the dipper.

If you are using the dippers that come with the Lee dies, then you are measuring by volume. Weight and volume are apples and oranges. A pound of powder is a pound of powder and how much powder in weight that would fit in a 1 cubic box is what is known as volume.

The volume of the pound of powder is not the same between powders.

"how much powder in weight that would fit in a 1 cubic box is what is known as volume" the weight of powder per volume is density, not volume.

Scorch

A grain is a unit of weight, not mass. Weight = mass x G

Grains are an archaic English unit of measure based on the weight of a grain of barley, and used for accurately weighing out small units of weight, as in jewels, medicines, spices, etc, or where you want to be very precise. Or gunpowder.

There are 7000 grains to the pound, 16 drams to the ounce, 16 ounces to the pound.

"Grains of powder (by volume)" is often used for black powder, where the charges are thrown by volume and not weighed, but the measure is known to hold a given weight of FFg black powder. It is common for people shooting black powder and black powder substitutes to use this terminology.

For a quick description of grains as a unit of weight, see
http://home.clara.net/brianp/weights.html

Bud Helms

Don P said:
As stated it is both the weight of the powder and the weight of the bullet.

Ack! No! Actually, I'm not sure what "As stated ..." is intended to mean. As stated, for a given loaded cartridge, I cannot imagine a situation when it will ever be both. The term grains is used to convey the weight (mass, really) of bullets and powder charge weights (plural), universally. Not the bullet and the powder charge weight. It is simply a common unit of measure to weigh both bullets and powder charge weights.

This is what happens when 40 different people (okay, only 13 so far) feel the need to repeat each other and find ways to say it differently. These threads can go on for pages and pages. Enough. If someone has already posted what you want to say, give it a rest, for crying out loud.

Pahoo

"Grains of powder (by volume)" is often used for black powder, where the charges are thrown by volume and not weighed, but the measure is known to hold a given weight of FF black powder. It is common for people shooting black powder and black powder substitutes to use this terminology.
Right on the money and the reason is because, for the most part, we have to load in the field and our possibles bag will not hold a beam scale. So, they made it easy for us by giving us a course conversion. There are some M/L folks who will weigh a charge but for the most part, it's a waste of time. Propellants for M/L's are very forgiving and if you are a few Grains off either way, will not effect performance to any degree. Not so for smokeless as a few grains off can be a dangerous. This terminology is accepted and common in all M/L use and documentation. Might add that I use to weigh my charges for my C&B revolvers but no longer do that.

Be Safe !!!

ZeroJunk

Not to be nit picky, but weight and mass are two different things.

I know it doesn't amount to much, but the same mass will weigh more at sea level than it does in Denver for instance, or in orbit it would weigh almost nothing.

CWPinSC

Not to be nit picky, but weight and mass are two different things.

I know it doesn't amount to much, but the same mass will weigh more at sea level than it does in Denver for instance, or in orbit it would weigh almost nothing.

That's true, and it's why everyone is referencing MASS, not WEIGHT - although, for our purposes, at sea level they are one in the same.

Hijack:
You hi-altitude reloaders out there...do you compensate for reduced gravity when reloading, let's say, in Denver? Or is it too small of a difference to matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.