What do you want in an indoor range?

BarryLee

Clean

Good lighting

Good ventilation

Automated system for transporting targets as opposed to a hand crank

Enough lanes to eliminate too much waiting

A vestibule entrance so everyone does not have to stop shooting when someone enters or exits

overkill0084

Enough table space for everyone's gear.
Good air handling system.
Manual cranks would be fine with me. My range has the motorized ones and they seem quite failure prone. The cables seem to be bullet magnets as well.
Since we're dreaming:
Actually, I would like my very own firing lane on my property. That would be the best possible option.

bassfishindoc

I would like them to allow the use of hand-loads. The two that I have been to do not allow hand-loads. That is their right as business owners but it also means I will not shoot there.

MLeake

hand-loads....

... are only prohibited at the ranges I've frequented, in one of two cases:

1) they can't be used in the range's rental guns (normally because somebody with a double-charge has blown up one of the rental guns; you should see the blown cylinder and warped top-strap on what looks to have once been a K-frame at my LGS); or

2) they may be prohibited due to bullets used (no steel, etc), that might damage the backtop, walls, shuttles, etc.

I have been to ranges that specify the use of FMJ or TMJ bullets, but they didn't ban handloads.

I have not returned to the few ranges that required all ammo used be purchased from the range.

Art S.

Couple of observations on range needs/wants.
First isn't it an insurance/cost issue for hand loads due to the inability to regulate? I think hand loads would be more suited for outdoor ranges.
The bullet magnet issue is amazing. For whatever reason one range that I go to has an electrical conduit traveling down the outside wall of their last stall.
Due to this bullet magnet they have posted cost of repair when you hit it and take out the entire cable system. Amazing what people can hit at a gun range. Wait and they want to conceal carry. OH MY! :)

spclPatrolGroup

I would love if you could prepay and reserve a lane for a session, rather than showing up and having to wait your turn. I dont show up, I lose my $.

Vt.birdhunter

Ive shot at really nice ranges with poor ventilation....instant deal breaker. A top priority on my indoor range wish list is clean air.

Question #2: I get hammered for $40 to shoot a round of sporting clays, rifle/pistol range pass just to shoot at paper from rests is $18.
So in my mind, I could see spending $40 once in a while to shoot in more realistic/challenging settings.

I wan't women in Bikini's to go hang new targets during the cease fire and to walk around holding a sign that says "Cease Fire" until the alarm sounds to go live. Be just like ringside at a boxing match...

On a more realistic note, I want clear bullet proof barriers/walls in between lanes to allow me to see unsafe handling and ultimately to protect me from the person who is doing the unsafe handling.

It would also be nice if there was some kind of mesh net brass catcher to allow you to more easily pick up your brass when done...

DaleA

I'd like my range to have a chronograph.

I have NO IDEA how you could do this without having to replace the chronograph every week. (The guys mentioning 'bullet magnets' have described the problem eloquently.)

Oh, on some of the 'regular' lanes I'd like reactive targets...spinners, knockovers, you get my drift.

JohnKSa

Administrator
What would you be willing to pay to shoot livefire FATS style scenarios?
Maybe $50, but not very often--maybe a few times a year for that price. Much more than $50 and it might be something I'd only treat myself to on a birthday.

Firs question: The lists below assume the bullet trap/stop is good and other basic firearm safety provisions have been made.

Must haves
  • Good downrange lighting.
  • Good ventilation.
Important
  • Target holders/target retrieval systems that either don't swing or that dampen the swing quickly.
  • Dividers between shooting positions.
  • Good shooting position lighting.
  • Rules that don't prevent rapid fire.
  • Frequent cleaning/maintenance. I've shot at a few indoor ranges where things are often broken and/or filthy.
  • Provisions to really clean up after shooting. Good soap that will remove powder residue, good paper towels, faucets with enough "lift" to allow you to easily wash not just your hands but also your lower arms.
Nice to haves
  • Table space for laying out/marking large targets.
  • An area to clean firearms after shooting.
  • Decent climate control. Ventilation is critical, but comfort is nice too.
  • Clearly marked/easily discernible distance markers/lines on the range for reference.
Stuff that would be really neat to have
  • Provision for reactive/steel targets. Even if there were an additional fee for using them.
  • A low-light lane. Even if there were an additional fee to use it.
  • A separate lane that could be used for individual practice involving a timer. Even if there were an additional fee for using it.
  • Timers for rent assuming that there's a place to use them.
  • Posted drills with standards.
  • Provision for move & shoot practice. Even if there were an additional fee for this.
  • Moving target capability. Even if there were an additional fee for using them.
  • Decent ammo prices. I'd buy all my ammo for a range visit at the shooting range even if it were a little more than it is at the bargain spots. But I'm not paying 2x or 3x over the normal going rate for the convenience of buying at the range.
  • Decent target prices. Same deal as above.
  • A variety of competition opportunities.

MLeake

JohnKSA...

... that was just about a perfect list.

The range I shoot at (when I don't just set up in my back pasture) has most of what you listed. I have not yet seen a range that offered everything in your list, though.

But it would be nice to find one that did.

Blackshirts

An open roof, no walls, and lanes out to 300 yards. Thankfully in the Phoenix area there is no need for an indoor range year round.

AZAK

Thankfully in the Phoenix area there is no need for an indoor range year round.

I shoot year round outdoors, generally at least once a week oftentimes more, in Alaska. Somehow I really don't have a problem with my barrels overheating; think negative double digits Fahrenheit. And only in the last couple of weeks have I been finding my brass from the last six months; the snow is beginning to melt.

Everything that I would want in an indoor range I already have outdoors for free. I have shot at indoor ranges, still prefer the outdoors ventilation and scenery.

LesBaer1911

The club I belong to has an indoor range. It cost 60.00 a year to have the rights to use it.
Looking at it
A good ventilation system is very important as we are allowed to shoot hand loads and a lot of us shoot hard cast bullets.
A good heating system. I live in upstate NY and when it is 15 deg. outside it is nice to shoot in a 70 degree area. The target side of the shooting stations are not heated because of the exhaust system. and you really appreciate the heat.
Good lighting,
We do not have retractable target but walking 50 yards round trip is not bad.
A good hydraulic system for bulls eye shooting to turn the targets so they are facing you and the turning away from you depending on the timed interval at 25 yards.
Air Conditioning for the summer but you cannot have everything and you shoot outdoors then.
We always have new cardboard backers for attaching your target at the different pull down and at 25 yards.
Seated and standing shooting stations
That is all I can think of being lucky to shoot indoors for $60.00 a year with a total of $225.00 a year to use the archery target and 3D course four outdoor pistol ranges and an outdoor riffle range with target to 300 yards.
A great clubhouse that serves dinner every Wednesday night and lunch on the weekends.

TXAZ

1) Clean Air
2) Good safety practices
3) Reasonable pricing
4) Reservation for a lane option

ClydeFrog

Indoor ranges; my input, member posts...

There are some good posts here by the forum members. I did not read all of them but I'd add my input here:
I'd only allow lead-free or non toxic, training type handgun rounds(for a handguns only site). There are a few factory made non lead training loads out there. It would just seem safer & more practical to only permit those new type loads for health, welfare & environmental reasons.
The range(s) should clean, well lit(but have dimmer or low light elements if safe to allow it for laser aimers/white lights/1913 rail shooting)
Rapid fire or full auto should NOT be allowed. Too many nitwits or gun owners w/o proper training shoot wildly or horse around. I have seen it occur on a few urban indoor places.
Safety rules or "range SOPs" should be CLEARLY posted in or around the lanes so range shooters/gun owners know the range policy. I've shot at indoor ranges where the safety regulations were printed on small signs or not in the open.
A proper indoor site should have CCTV or security cameras on all the lanes or range areas too. In my city there have been around 5 or 6 suicides/murders where a unstable person drew a loaded weapon & fired at others or killed themselves. YouTube.com has documented events like this if you don't think it's a major problem.
Safety staff or range officers should also be fully armed to deal with a violent subject. Having first aid kits(quik clots-gear) & CPR-AED trained employees are a good plan too.
In closing, I'd add a good AC & ventilation system and stable target stands(units that can hold targets w/o falling apart).
CF