What do you use for hearing protection?

What do you wear for hearing protection?

• Ear muffs

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Ear plugs

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Both ear plugs and ear muffs (at the same time)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moloch

Plugs outdoor and indoor, rifles, handguns and muzzleloaders. Why? Because I have problems with the butt stock of a rifle with the big ear muffs, and with plugs I can really enjoy the shot sound without ear damage. :D With the muffs everything is way to silent.

wjkuleck

Custom fitted plugs from Cece at Camp Perry, under Howard Leight Leightning 31 (NRR 31dB) muffs.

Regards,

Walt

tacticalmedic

Western Hearing Protection

I bought a few of these for my sons, my wife, FIL, and me. For $1.99 on sale at Harbor Freight & Tool, I couldn't beat it. They are comfortable and reduce the noise very well.

Attachments

• 43768.gif
    43768.gif
    33.3 KB · Views: 42

cchardwick

I have some electronic ear muffs that I bought at Sportsman's Warehouse quite some time ago. I think they take rechargable AA or AAA batteries. They are great because they act as hearing aids - you can turn up the background sound as loud as you want so you can hear someone whisper, and then it cuts out the loud noises over a certain db like a gunshot. They are kind of a drag in the wind because the wind makes a loud rushing noise. I love them and would highly recommend them, I don't wear anything else.

redwing 40

I use fitted ear plugs and muffs. I have a real bad case of ringing ears. Has anyone found a relive for Tinnitus ringing ears?

WadePatton

Depends on the situation. Caliber, bbl length, location, and such. Today I used muffs on my helmet while running the chainsaw.

Hunting-rarely use anything unless using short arms.

My ears ring all the time--just like most of your do! Don't they? okay, another poll is in order. Somebuddy do it. My post count is too low to start being too obnoxious.;)

Nnobby45

I'm using Pro Ears Dimension 1 electronics for most of my shooting. For some applications, I add some plugs underneath to protect my one good ear.

I have an older set of Peltor Electronic muffs, also. The sound amplificatioin on those should be illegal under the privacy act. Could hear a flatulated mouse at 30ft.:D

They're for the bedroom should I need to listen in the night. Have to be careful not to breath too hard.:cool:

jr05

Plugs and muffs for me. Just plugs are usually enough, but when shooting larger caliber guns under a roof (outdoor range is covered) they are a lot louder. Muffs alone are terrible if you are wearing glasses. So I wear the plugs and can hear people, then put the muffs on when actually shooting.

Works for me.

I use those foam plugs that you roll up and insert so they expand to fit your ear canal.
muffs are to hot in warm weather and slip around when 'shoot and scoot' is practiced.
I'm loseing my hearing but some of it is just ageing I suppose.

hamiltc

Has anyone found a relive for Tinnitus ringing ears?
No.

But taking NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) prior to exposure to noise does help prevent damage. You can get this at any drug store.

http://www.google.com/search?q=nac+hearing+loss

Of course that's far from a substitute for wearing ear protection. Good earmuffs combined with properly inserted plugs are the way to go.

AOSafety Nitro urethane plugs have a NRR of 32 dB, and can be bought in bulk at any hardware store. These are the highest-rated off-the-shelf plugs available.

When I take someone shooting I have them use these in combination with AOSafety Shotgunner/Stow-A-Way. At NRR 21 dB these are not the most effective muffs on the market, but I can carry three sets in my range bag and that's important to me.

For myself, I had been using plugs in combination with Peltor Tactical 6S electronic muffs (NRR 19 dB), but after a recent Appleseed shoot (~14,000 rounds fired over 16 hours) I decided that wasn't enough and have since upgraded to Peltor Tactical Pro muffs (NRR 26 dB).

There were folks at that Appleseed using only ear plugs, and mostly not using them properly. I felt very sorry for them.