What Do You Think?

Single Six

Trying to make a decision here, needing some input...For a HD piece, between the Beretta 96 and the Glock 22, which would you prefer, and why?

Last edited:

Single Six

Hm....seems the TFL crowd is staying away from this thread in droves. Oh, well. Guess I'll go with my first instinct and get the Beretta.:D

lyodbraun

Go glock just makes better sense, more reliable and a all around better gun.. IMHO but id suggest going with what you want and what fits your hands the best...

Single Six

Thanks for responding, guys; I had kind of given up on this one already. I already know I like the Beretta, I prefer stainless steel and a manual safety. BUT, I need to handle a G22 and see what I think. Sounds like a great reason to hit the big gun show in Raleigh next weekend...;)

ripnbst

Get the G22. Interchangeable backstrap to fit your hand better, Glock reliability, Glock service and parts availability, Easy minute of BG accuracy.

Or get the Beretta because it looks way nicer. Beretta with their fixed barrels are usually very accurate in skilled hands.

Single Six

You just named a lot of the reasons why this is a tough call for me. Another thing is that the G22 has a higher-cap mag than the Beretta.

Walklightly

A while back, I bought a 9mm S&W Sigma SW9VE for HD. I shot it pretty well, but I wanted to upgrade and bought a CZ75B. I shot the CZ better at the range, but I still could shoot acceptable CM groups with the Sigma, and I could actually rapid fire the Sigma better up to 15 yards.

Long story short, I kept the Sigma by my side at night, and I really like the flick ability of the lighter poly gun over my heavy CZ.

I sold the Sigma to my brother, and miss having a poly lightweight 9mm. So even though I'm not going to get a Sigma again, I'm in the market for another poly 9mm. I've been thinking Ruger SR9 for the last few years. I just need to shoot one first.

FYI, I use a Ruger SP101 .357 for HD for now.

joegator

I had a G22 and would highly recommend it. For HD reliability is the primary concern and you can't go wrong with any of the Glocks. I currently have a G19.

(*_*)

Beretta for me. But the Glock is not bad if you shoot them better. Go with whatever platform you like better. The trigger safety on Glocks causes welts on me. I used to shoot them with tape wrapped around my finger. Eventually I started shooting other guns and sold off my glocks.

540EdgeFlyer

For HD... Get the 870 Express.

I'm not personally a fan of either of the pistols you mentioned.... Not for any good reason though, just my own personal bias. The Glock is ugly, and has that funky trigger, the Beretta... I've just never forgiven it for replacing the 1911 in the military :D But between the two, I'd pick the Beretta for it's DA capability. In a HD situation, where some other member of your family may need to use the pistol in a high stress situation, I think the DA is an important feature.

Single Six

540: Can't argue with you; I do have an 870, but it's the Marine Magnum, suitably configured for HD. I just like a good pistol to augment the long gun.;)

Mrgunsngear

I'd go with the Glock. The 96 is a fine firearm and I'd recommend both to anyone looking for a great HD/SD weapon. I'd go with the Glock though due to ease of operation (striker vs DA/SA), accessories, easily upgraded, and the grip angle (I know a lot of people dislike the gun for that reason...).

Everything else---durability, reliability, accuracy, ect... are pretty much identical which is why they're both great guns. Whichever one you fell more confident is the one you should pick.

C0untZer0

I don't like slide mounted flip-up safeties. I can't operate them and see no reason to learn since there are other guns out there that work fine and don't have em.

I think the Glock is OK for HD/SD with the caveat that it comes out of a good holster or safe / holder / container or something that covers the trigger.

I think the SR9 or the XD are basically the same thing but they have an additional safety on them.

Last edited: