What do you think of $650 for this trap gun?

Musketeer

I have a selling price offered to me from a coworker who I trust not to intentionally deceive me. I also think he knows his stuff. I am looking for a trap gun and think this may be a good buy, what does everyone here think?

I Actually looked last night and left it home by accident, (or senility) my son can bring it over to me later today. I have $875.00 into the gun, it has exactly one box of shells through it. And then wrapped up for my father, who has never used it. I’ll take $650.00

The gun is an American Arms Silver II, the gun is an Over/Under 28” Barrels, Gun comes with 3 chokes, Improved, Improved/Modified, and Full, The gun has a honed Allen Timney Trigger Job, and Allen Timney custom Butt adjustable for length of pull, angle and cast off.

The gun was made in the same factory at the time that was/still is, producing parts for Perazzi, and Berretta, one I can’t recall now. They did make a Silver I, with the II being more refined and higher grade.

oletymer

It is a poor choice for a trap gun. Check out the specs against a true trap gun and you will see it does not measure up.

Red Tornado

I kind of agree with oletymer. The only thing I wondered about is if you are going to be shooting skeet also. If so, might the 28" barrels be a decent compromise between skeet and trap? Others with more knowledge can give you much better answers than I can.
RT

Frank Ettin

Administrator
I agree that this may not be the best choice as a dedicated trap gun. Most trap shooter prefer 30 or 3 inch barrels on an O/U. With 28 inch barrels, and choke tubes, it may be a good compromise if you also want to shoot skeet and/or sporting clays.

At the price, it could possibly be a good way to start. If you really get the bug, you can begin saving your money for a more serious trap gun. But if your goal is serious trap competition, you're liable to outgrow this gun pretty quickly.

On the plus side may be the adjustable stock. Probably the most important thing with a shotgun is how it fits you. With a shotgun, you look at the target, not the "sight." So the when you mount the shotgun, it needs to fit you naturally so that it shoots where you are looking.

I don't know anything about the make, however. I Googled it and found this:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9280.

Musketeer

Thanks guys. I have been using my closet gun, an 870 Express with a wingmaster barrel I got off ebay a couple years ago. I tend to shoot two rounds a week. My problem is I am short, a hair under 5'5", and am also cursed with the troll limbs of my father's Irish side (short arms and legs for the torso). At least it is not as bad in my generation as two before!

The 870 fits me very badly. In order to not have to cant my head or contort myself for a solid sight picture (not that I am using the site to hit clays but you know what I mean) I have to position the gun so it is only partially in contact with my torso. By the end of the first round it is hurting and the scores start dropping. The instructors at the range agree I badly need something that fits me better.

I'll take a look at it closer up later today hopefully.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
It sound like you need a short length of pull. I also have short arms, and I have a short neck. My guns have a length of pull of 13.25 to 13.5 inches. A shooting buddy of mine (who I squad with at a lot of shoots) likes a 13 inch length of pull. Since most guns come with a 14.5 inch +/- length of pull, we'd be seriously disadvantaged without some alterations to the stock. Even a half or a quarter inch difference can be significant.

Gun fit makes a big difference in both comfort and how well you hit the target.

SmokinTom

Its NOT a Trap gun!!! And its NOT worth $650 either. Its worth $500 and thats on the high side. In other words my opinion is NO WAY. Tom

Jeff Mulliken

Musketeer,

I would avoid that gun like the plague. I'd also worry about anyone that would claim to have had a good smith work on a dog gun...something does not add up here.

Find someone that has a youth model Remington, borrow it and shoot a couple of rounds. It has a short stock from the factory. I know they made it ion the 1100 but am not sure about the 870.

You will get a taste of the difference gun fit can make and if you like it you can start working on a permanent solution by having your stock replaced or cut down to fit your dimensions. But before you spend any cash you need to hav some idea of what actually fits your frame.

By they way I loved the "troll limbs of my father's Irish side" comment. That is very funny and spot on to the hard truth.

Jeff