What Do You Like Best

kingudaroad

I thought I'd experiment one day and bought some Federal "match" primers. They were a few dollars more but I've had very good results. Federal 150M I believe.

KW-Bane

I use the WLP's, I also use Win brass & W231 powder....I think I see a pattern:eek:

I do use other components;)

Smokey Joe

Primers for the .45ACP

Shooting Nut--For primers for the .45 I use whatever is on sale. Used Winchester large pistol primers; they worked fine. Now am using CCI #300 large pistol primers--guess what, they work fine too. No change in POI with loads all the same except for the change in primers.

Any large pistol primer NOT MAGNUM will work just fine IMHO. The .45ACP is hardly a rifle, so changing primers won't materially affect performance.

To be on the safe side, when you change primers, reduce yr powder charge by 10%; work back up watching for signs of overpressure.

WESHOOT2

multitudinous thousands (which is like many) CCI300s

The bulk of my 45 ACP output has used the CCI300; specific loads get CCI350s.

I have also used WLP with good success; much lesser amounts of Federal 150s and 155s for very specific loads.

I haven't had very bad luck with any that has posted so far. I haven't used the CCI350's though. The Remington 2 1/2 seem to choke off the passage on my RCBS hand primer. I don't know if the casings of the primers are a smidge thicker than most of the others or what. They seemed to fire just fine.

Ozzieman

Having been loading for over 25 years.

All primers that I have used are good and reliable but.
Nothing works smother and easier through a primer press be it a Dillon or a Lee auto primer than Federal.
NOTHING.:)

jhansman

Federal primers are a bit scarce these days, so I opt for Winchester. I can get them easily and they work for all my loads.

Craig M. Arnold

Primers for 45 Auto

I usually use Winchester and sometime CCI. Both work fine for me. Lately I have been using MagTech. They have been perfect and a lot cheaper.

Best regards.

kellyj00

I got a few thousand of the wolf primers from Powder Valley recently. Shot off about a 1000 so far, and they're pretty nice. I'd say they're pretty hard, like a CCI primer.

Smokey Joe

Federal primers, boo, hiss!

Actually, nothing wrong w/the PRIMERS themselves at all. Have used Federals with dandy results.

My objection is the HUMONGOUS boxes in which they are sold--take up 'way too much space on my limited storage shelves for reloading components.

I spoke to the Federal salesman @ the NRA convention in Milwaukee, and he assured me that the reason for the huge boxes was that Federal primers were more powerful, so the Gummint was making poor Federal use all that packaging to be safe. Well, sez I, if the primers are more powerful, won't that materially affect the internal ballistics of every round fired?? Oh, no, sez he, they are just the same in that department as always; the "regular" primers are still "regular," the magnums, still "magnum," no more.

Well, sez I, you can't have it both ways, but the sales person insisted that that was the case.

Anyhow, I assured him that Federal had lost a customer for primers unless and until they were packaged in smaller, more space-conserving boxes. He just mumbled something in reply, and I proceeded to another, friendlier booth.

Bottom line: Don't buy Federal primers unless you have plenty of space in which to store their ridiculous-sized packaging. If CCI, Winchester, and Remington can sell primers in nice little boxes then so can Federal. :mad:

Last edited:
I just bought 2000 of the Federals for large primers the other day...
I know what you mean. I was half tempted to find a suitable alternate storage, but didn't want to take any chances. I guess I'll have to deal for now...

rugerdude29

The bulk of my reloading has been with Winchester primers. Have also used CCI and Federal on occasion, but Winchester has always given great results. Why mess with a good thing? :rolleyes:

Neophyte1

Like Best???

Now aint that a 'loaded' question?????:eek:

Blond, brunette, Jet Black, Red, hell I like them all:):):)

.38 .22 .357 will all keep me "loaded":cool:

Craig