What do you know about the Nickel plated Hi Powers.

Gonzo_308

OK, I picked this thing up at an estate sale and it is in 99% condition with one 13rd mag (nickel plated) year of manufacture was 1980. Has factory hardwood grips and adjustable sights (Also nickel) and a gold trigger. I've read that there were only 11,800 made this way. What is it worth?

To clarify this is NOT Silverchromed this is bright nickel.

RHarris

This sound similar to the one my cousin picked up a while back. Nickel with a gold trigger, except his had tiny fixed sights that sucked. I don't know what it's worth or how many were made etc. It did turn out to be an excellent pistol.

jimmy

That's interesting info about the number of nickel BHPs produced. Does it include both fixed and adjustable sight models?

As it happens, I have a couple of nickel Hi-Powers that I bought new many years ago. One was made in 1981 and the other in 1982. One has a fixed rear sight, the other rear sight is adjustable. Both have gold triggers and checkered walnut stocks with bronze (?) medallions. Both came with a pair of nickel mags.

The nickel finish on these guns is unusual, at least in my experience. It's neither polished nickel nor satin nickel, but instead has a brushed look. The nickel started peeling off the hammer of one of these guns almost immediately. I shipped it to the Browning service department, which replaced the hammer. No peeling since then or any other problems that I'm aware of.

Anyway, I'd also be interested in knowing their value, although I'm not thinking of selling them. They're of a quality that is not often seen nowadays.

Russ

I have one of the Nickel Hi Power's from the last production run they did on them. They are Electroless Nickel. More bright than Satin. I bought it new in 1985. I have adjustible sights in Nickel with the gold plated trigger and checkered walnut grips with the Browning Medallion. Mine is flawless still. No flaking, no scratches, etc. Looks like Stepen Camp's pic except with adjustible sights. Mine also came with 2 13rd mags.

I have seen similar ones for auction at gunbroker.com for $1,250.

Considering I just saw a new BHP in Hard Chrome, fixed sights and rubber grips, for $700 "on sale", I guess the Nickel ones are easily worth $1,000 to a collector. If I had to take that $700 new gun and put wood grips and the old style Browning adjustible sights on it, I'd be looking at $950 to $1,000 easily.

Yeah blade 67, they may look like "pimp daddy" guns but that's because you're jealous and probably can't afford anything that cool! There's always a Shiney new Lorcin. Now there's a real "pimp daddy" gun!

Last edited: