What do you guys think for this Varmit/Target gun

pabuckslayer08

Im getting a new 20ga T/C pro hunter w/ the slug barrel to go hunting with in Illinois and Ohio. I have lots of deer rifles and all are sighted in at 100 yards except I have a BDC scope on one that I feel good with to 400 yards. However its to expensive to shoot and when I get my pro hunter im thinking of getting a barrel and scope for it that I can shoot alot of rounds at farther distances and not break the bank. Im looking at either the .223 Rem or the .22-250 barrel for it then I have no idea on scopes. I own all Nikon gear now and would like to keep it that way but Im not a big long range guy but want to get into it with my new gun and maybe eventually get a custom. But for now id just like to get something to shoot 500 yards or so. So anyway should I get a turreted scope that I know nothing about or get a BDC scope I know how to use and tinker with it until I can get on the paper. Id like to try a Monarch with a Turret but have no idea how they work.

taylorce1

Do you have a chronograph? If you don't you are going to spend a lot of money shooting at known distances to figure up your drop charts. It is pretty easy to set up a rifle for long range shooting if you have a chrony and use a program like JBM's Trajectory program. I wouldn't even waste my time trying to do long range shooting without knowing the MV of the load I've chosen to use.

Once you know the speed of your load and you have zeroed your scope. JBM's program will give you the necessary scope adjustments out to however far you want to shoot. You should be pretty close to being on target if your shooting skills are up to the challenge. You might have to make some minor adjustments to get on target and fine tune your drop chart. Make sure you keep a log book to keep track of your scope adjustments and how your load performs in different weather and temperature conditions.

Nikons are great scopes, I don't like BDC reticles but that is just me. I'd rather have a mil-dot/tactical milling or standard duplex reticle over BDC type. I'd looke at something with no more than 14-16 max power range on a varialbe scope to use. I really like the Monarch 2.5-10 power scope looks like one I'd like very much.