What Do You Expect With an "Assault Rifle"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnochGale

This came up at lunch with the gun crowd.

Many of us have a long gun as a defensive arm for the house and safe room.

Do you expect that you would have more trouble legally with an AR-15 or AK-47 than a blander looking gun like a lever action, Mini-14, etc. ?

I certainly know the differences but do you think the evil "assault rifle" is more of a legal risk if you used it and the shooting was marginal/anti gun DA or the like?

TearsOfRage

In theory it shouldn't matter, but if there is any question about your intentions or your state of mind, it will be used against you.

Dead

Intent is impossible to prove!!!

But, the government wants to makes it seem otherwise..... total BS..

With drug laws if you have x amount, you are charged with "intent to sell".. How can they prove intent?

------------------
Dead [Black Ops]

[This message has been edited by Dead (edited September 25, 2000).]

G-Freeman

Nope. Not yet. In my state, and I assume you refer to a true home invasion and consequent dead bad guy, it still wouldn't matter much what particular tool was utilized.
Also, the farther from large metropolitan areas the better.

Dennis Olson

A rifle, ANY rifle, is the absolute LAST firearm I would EVER use for a home invasion.

------------------
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." - H.L. Mencken

P

PreserveFreedom

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A rifle, ANY rifle, is the absolute LAST firearm I would EVER use for a home invasion.[/quote]
Depends who is invading, how many, and if they have those stupid blue hats on or not.

Jeff Thomas

Sadly, I'd wager that in most parts of the country, an 'ugly' gun will give you a bit more grief with the jury.

Having said that, I still wouldn't change my choice for that reason alone. 'Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6'.

I'll use an 870 generally, but in a rural area I would probably choose the AR / AK. Depends on neighbors, others in the home, ammunition, etc., IMHO.

Regards from AZ

hkg3

PreserveFreedom

If they have stupid blue hats, I'll be going out the back door dressed like a stupid tossed salad...With my long guns.

------------------
Gun control started the Revolutionary War!..."itcta alea est"

Donny

It seems that the anti-crowd keeps trying to dismiss the 2nd as being a State right.

Let's, for the sake of arguement, assume that's correct.

The State then, has the ability to issue fully-automatice firearms to all it's officers, as it sees fit. And generally they procure these weapons from whom? RIGHT, the Federal guvmint, through surplus armament programs, or some other bs to create a standing Army(another issue I know).

And if that's the case, then shouldn't they be using the military's definition of an assault weapon, since it's from them that they're obtaining many of their firearms?

The military has a different description, and definition of an assault weapons, than do the nay sayers.

Ever see a fully combat ready group with semi-only firearms (not including sidearms, of course)?

Possibly Beirut, prior to the truck-bomb that killed all those Marines...

How about Granada, or Panama, or Kuwait, or---

It ain't gonna be that way, and we all know this.

[This message has been edited by Donny (edited September 26, 2000).]

Nestor Rivera

In the criminal court probably not a prob, but in civil court where the almight TV can sway any jury pool it may be come an issue.

Also most rifle rounds have a great deal of liabality by virtue of flight distance.

If long arms are pefered then get a shot gun or a pistol calibur ( my choice is the M1-Carbine)

Gunslinger

Picture a prosecutor (or worse an ambulance chaser in a civil matter) waving an AR15 over his head while presenting his case. Now picture him waving a .22 Chipmonk.
It could make a difference but as Jeff said I would not let it bias my home defnse choices.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.