What do you do...

EdInk

What do you do with all the plastic cases that come with your new handguns?

I have like a dozen of them laying around the place. I never use them BUT can't bring myself to throw them away.

KMAX

I keep them

I keep them in case I decide to trade off or sell the gun. I try to keep everything related to each gun including all paperwork and manuals, fired cartridge, lock, etc. I also keep the cardboard pistol boxes. I don't keep the boxes for the rifles. I don't know if all that stuff helps, but I keep it.

Jeremiah/Az

I have a bunch too. They do come in handy if you have to send a gun back for repairs. It has only happened to me once. If you decide to sell a gun, it is nice to have the box.

Cheapshooter

I use them to transport my guns to the range. A couple will fit in my range bag, along with the two pistol rugs that came with the bag. If I have more, I carry them in my larger soft sided wheeled tool bag with all my other range gear.
When not in use, and the guns are locked away in the safe, I have a cabinet to keep them in. All manuals, accessories, etc. is kept in the case.

KMAX said:
I keep them in case I decide to trade off or sell the gun. I try to keep everything related to each gun including all paperwork and manuals, fired cartridge, lock, etc. I also keep the cardboard pistol boxes. I don't keep the boxes for the rifles. I don't know if all that stuff helps, but I keep it.
Ditto here.

GM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAX

and another Ditto Here.

EdInk

I don't really trade or sell my guns. (The result of only buying guns I really want for awhile.) I have sent a couple of them in for warranty work and it makes things very easy. However, they mostly just sit around and take up space in the closet. I think the ones that aren't molded to hold specific guns are going to start getting used for holding other things around the house. If it wouldn't freak out people at work, I think one of the blue S&W ones would make a spiffy lunchbox.

(A "spiffy lunchbox"? I think I'm officially OLD now. LOL)

Nitesites

Neat question. I haven't thought about it till you posed the question but how about reusing them? Gun specific cleaning kits maybe? Including any special tools?

Pianoguy

They do tend to pile up. I just keep mine along with any paperwork and whatever came with the gun purchase. The paperwork goes in one file and the boxes/cases just go into a big box that gets stashed away in the basement. Unless you get yourself a large safe the boxes and guns tend to end up seperated. I don't have any plans on selling any gun but I would like to have the original boxes/cases if I did.

Sevens

If it wouldn't freak out people at work, I think one of the blue S&W ones would make a spiffy lunchbox.
Depending on where you work... YES, I think some people would absolutely flip out. Benign as it may be to us...

Imagine sending your child to school with a purpose-built Smith & Wesson handgun box. You'd probably be on the 6 o'clock news at some point! :eek:

aarondhgraham

I just keep 'em in one big box,,,

Mainly because I'm a pack-rat.

A friend of mine gave a large S&W case to his son for a lunch box,,,
Created a furor at his grade school but was perfectly legal.

And yes, he did it on purpose to annoy the school staff,,,
They hassled his 4th grade son for wearing a Buckmark hoodie.

Aarond

Erikbal

I only have 1 cuz I only have one gun but I also kept it and the original box and everything that came in it and plan on keeping it, just in case I sell or trade some day, which I don't see happening but I'm just like that...

BigJimP

I was accumulating too many of them ...never used them for anything.....so I gave them away ....

To me, its the same with cardboard boxes....its not that I won't take the box, if the seller has it, but I'm not paying a premium because it has a box ...

boxes have no value to me ....

HawkeyeNRAlifer

I have dozens of them on some shelves in a basement closet. On the rare occasion I actually trade a gun, it's nice to have the box and paperwork for it. I even have most of the long gun boxes stored away in the basement.

Viper225

If you buy quality guns, keep the boxes, and everything that came in them. At some point, especially with Smith & Wesson Revolvers, Colt 1911's, etc your gun might be collectable. That box and papers could add $100 or more to a clean handguns value depending on what it is.

I have all my boxes stacked up in the shop on a high shelf. I do trade a gun now and again, and it is handy to have the box it came in.

Bob

bedbugbilly

I use them kind of like cement blocks - so far, I've got the foundation for a new house laid up and the chimney is half done .. . :D:rolleyes:

Actually, I use most of them to store the handgun in . . . as mentioned already . . . I keep all the original paperwork, manuals, etc. with them in case I should ever want to sell one of them or trade it off. I know that if and when I buy a used handgun, I appreciate having those things come with it.

shaunpain

I keep 'em with all the junk in 'em. I used to use them to pack my range guns up in, but I bought a decent range bag with pistol rugs for that purpose. I don't think I'll get rid of 'em. None of my long guns came the original box, so I toss those and buy a decent case.