what do you do to save space in your safe?

2002gti

ive had an influx of C&R longuns and my 36" wide is begining to fill. im considering hanging a couple of my shorter rifles on the door. the door has a wood covering about 1/8" thick, i was thinking of screwing in some hooks or maybee some kind of hanger i can buy. any suggestions will be appreciated.

Samuel2001

I have resorted to staggering them in the safe, by standing one muzzle down and the next muzzle up and so on. The but of the rifle is the widest bulkiest part of the rifle so by staggering them, I kind of even things out and fit a couple more.
I have also put some of my more inexpensive rifles in my closet, minus the bolt fer safety. Those go in the safe.

Next in the agenda is a double door safe for me! ;)

Jamie Young

Went to Home Depot and got those hooks you use to mount ladders and and tools to the walls. THey just screw in and I rested the guns on them.

Northwest Cajun

2002gti
I 've done a few things, One muzzle up and one down, removed scopes ( for the rifles I dont use that often), removed the barrels from the pump shotguns and pulled out the interior racks and made my own out of 1x2. I have a Cannon 23cu' fire safe and have fit 25-30 guns in there. I was storeing a few extra rifles for a friend while he was deployed. I did leave the top shelf in there for all the pistols and loose scopes
The rack I made was 1x2 with notches made with a 1" drill bit then covered with a foam tape thats used to seal around doors. It wasn't pretty but it worked.

Cajun

2002gti

Northwest

i like the idea of building your own rack. how many longuns were you able to fit factory configured from cannon vs your homemade rack. i also have a cannon, don't know the c.i. but its 36" wide.

Rembrandt

Have made a number of modifications to the safe for additional storage. Hanging brackets on the door and extra barrel mounts...these are held in place by strip magnets covered with fabric. Added metal shelves under the existing shelving for additional storage.

safedoorrack1.jpg

safedoorrack2.jpg

safedoor1.jpg

safeshelf2.jpg

safeshelf1.jpg

safe.jpg

Northwest Cajun

2002gti,
The interior of my safe when I bought it was half guns half shelves. I had about 8-10 rifles/shotguns in there, then I temporarly has about 25 with my own rack. I went back to where I bought the safe and they gave me :p the all gun interior. I have 15 in there now with room for a couple more.
Mine is 36" wide also

Cajun
PS Rembrandt, Nice rack! :eek:

Monkeyleg

Got myself under-employed. :(

Rembrandt, are you that organized in everything you do? I need some help here with all the snippets of paper littering my desk. ;)

Rembrandt

Monkeyleg....yes, it's a habit that drives Mrs Rembrandt nuts....Excuse me while I catalog and inventory lot numbers on this latest batch of .22 ammo.

:eek:

Monkeyleg

"Monkeyleg....yes, it's a habit that drives Mrs Rembrandt nuts...."

If your wife were as persnickety as you, I'd predict an upcoming problem with the marriage. The Oscar Madison side usually balances out the Felix Unger side.

My wife has hundreds of pairs of rummage sale earrings--some of them quite collectible--all neatly arranged on these department store displays (which she also got at rummage sales).

I, on the other hand, have pieces of digital photo files on CD's essentially buried in a pile under one of my computer's tables. Some of these files are worth a lot of of money, but I'll be damned if I can find them without a day's search.

BTW, if you ever want to trade that Colt custom shop "nickle plated sissy pistol" for a Kimber Pro Carry, just let me know. ;)