What do ya'll think of +p ammo in .45 acp?

bshefa

I'm not trying to start any fights. Also, I have read my instruction booklet twice looking for any mention of it and can find none so here is a newbie kind of question...can you use this ammo in a Glock 21

jlh26oo

+p perfectly fine in G21.

Many don't prefer it just because most .45 bullets "work" at velocities attained by non +p pressures, but can't hurt imo.

hdawson228

One of the advantages of the 45 is it's lower velocity which limits over penetration. The +p seems to cancel out that advantage.:cool:

Mark54g

Velocity is not a great indicator of penetration, especially in handgun calibers. Mass + velocity is another story. A 3gr projectile going at 2000fps will likely scratch the skin. A 300gr projectile going 500fps will likely punch a nice big hole in you.

mikel_holt

Bullet design, for so long now, has required +P velocities to achieve desired expansion and overall performance goals. The advent of Taurus' solid copper Hex Bullet loading has changed all that. The bullet is designed for maximum performance at standard velocity. It's all I carry in a .45 anymore and works particularly welll in alloy or polymer frame guns. It allows you to have maximum performance from your pistol without shortening it's life due to excessive recoil from high pressure loads.

firemedic1975

One of the advantages of the 45 is it's lower velocity which limits over penetration. The +p seems to cancel out that advantage

Could not agree more with that statement!!! Especailly if you are using it as home defense.

10milg29

The average person will claim overpenetration which I find not to be the case. I carry Ranger +P in my G30 which I will soon be replacing with DT 230 gr. A 230 grain bullet pushed to 1010fps penetrated 15.25" and expanded to .95". I guess it all depends on what your personal definition of overpenetration is. I find 15.25" to be exactly what I am looking for.

On Edit: +P will function flawlessly in your 21. However the recoil will become more prevalent.

NPSLE

Didn't know there was a +P .45?

Quick question: somewhere I got the impression there was no such thing as a "hot" .45 round. Could one of you please let me know a bit about +P .45 -- like, how much faster (20 percent?) does it move than a normal round? Is it used mostly for hunting? Would a Sig 220 handle it ok?

Tom2

Yep

Well I have seen commercial plus P for the 45, and even Winchester plus P in boxes for the LE market. Fellow at the local gunshow always has tons of ammo including LE app. marked boxes. Most seems to use the lighter bullets like 185, so they can get more speed, I guess. I really think it is an option but not a requirement for self defense if you use modern bullets. Might be better for hunting if you use that round for hunting. Gotta go now, I am running on UPS power and the lights are flickering on and off like crazy. Dang windstorms!

Rugged

as a hunting round, or protection from predators round, has anyone used .45 auto to take game?

I'm not talking about KODIAKs or POLAR bears. I mean, MT lions, black bear, coyotes.

IS there a game cartridge for .45ACP?

Hotdog1911

Plus pea 45 you say?

Good thing the Germans and Japanese in WW1-2, Big Al, Betty & Clyde et al didn't know the good guys needed +P .45s

RickB

+P rounds ruin the fine balance of power/shootability for which the .45 ACP is known. For hunting, I might give them a go, but if I was going to be in a dynamic situation, where I might have to engage a number of targets in rapid sequence, I wouldn't give up docile handling for little, if any, better terminal performance.

Pucker

Local shop has 50 count boxes of the "New" style Hydrashoks (without the little nippple-thingy in the middle of the bullet that always got bent off to one side after handling) for reasonable prices and they've got them in 230 or 230+P.

Being a normal guy, always thinking "MORE POWER" is a good thing, I picked up a couple boxes.
After a couple trips to the range I'll tell you they're as accurate as any other premium cartrige.
After a couple trips to the desert I'll tell you that they hurt. Maybe I need a stronger recoil spring in my SA1911 but they pack a wallop compared to normally loaded ammo. I felt they were loaded hot.

I will probably stick to regular 230 hydras from now on, just because they're more comfortable to shoot.

Also makes me think that they'd be great for a 220, given the stiffer recoil springs of theirs.

denfoote

I've tried +P rounds in my G36. The increased muzzle flip makes secondary shots more difficult. As a result, I think I'll stick with standard pressure rounds!!!

nkielborn

the plus powers i fire through my 220 seem pretty close to standard pressure rounds. i have fire quiet a few plus powers and i think there great. I keep using them.

Dj Dust

I Carry a Glock 30 .45ACP. I use +P Super Swat MagSafe. +P rounds are totally safe in a Glock....but I would not recomend using them for practice too often (But you should shoot at least 50 rounds of your defense ammo)because it will cause moving internal parts to wear faster...How much faster?...I couldn't say for sure.

packa45

I've used some Gold Dots that were 200gr +P and also some Magtech HP 230gr +P. Like Denfoote said the muzzle flip was increased and made follow ups less accurate for me. Recoil and noise were also more noticeable so I've gone back to the standard pressure 230gr Gold Dots.

michael t

I tried Corbon +P in my 45 . 1 mag full gave rest of box a way. To much recoil and no way would you get a fast follow up 2nd shot. I am a fan of Corbon and is in all my carry guns . But not +P in 45auto. Compact non +P DPX kicks tail in a 1911 if you will accept a lighter round.