What do I need?

Bill DeShivs

I own an AR. I also own a bare AR receiver. But, I'm not an AR guy.
I have decided to build the Mrs. an AR with the receiver. I have friends with all the necessary tools.
Can someone tell me all the parts I need? I plan on using a complete upper but I even need to know the best/cheapest place to buy it and the other parts.
Thanks,

zukiphile

Can someone tell me all the parts I need? I plan on using a complete upper but I even need to know the best/cheapest place to buy it and the other parts.
Thanks,

You can just buy a "Rifle Build Kit", everything needed for an AR except the stripped lower, magazine, and sights, but that means you have to like the components in the build kit enough to take the package offered.

Palmetto State is a good place to shop for an upper if you aren't in any hurry. Editted to add - some PSA uppers come with a bolt carrier group (BCG) and charging handle (CH). Some don't.

The Lower
Receiver - you have it.
Lower Build kit - this would have all the parts you need to complete a lower. It will be composed of a Stock Kit and a Lower Parts Kit (LPK).
LPK - This will be all the parts for your lower except the parts involved with the stock. Unless specified, it will include a trigger and hammer, and a pistol grip.

You can buy a LPK without trigger and pistol grip from lots of places, but the discount for that missing part is modest. I think Midway has one for $25 now.

Stock - carbine or rifle?
I like rifle stocks, which take a different buffer tube - also called the receiver extension, but I am a normal height fellow. Unless you wife is quite tall, she may prefer a carbine buffer tube. There are dozens of choices.

Magpul has a fixed carbine stock for about $30.

An AR isn't so much a rifle as a broad set of parameters for the sorts of parts one can fit together. Which specific parts you or your wife will like is largely a matter of taste. The good news is that you've hit a time in the market that offers good quality at low prices.

Choices include barrel length, profile, composition and surface treatment or lining, handguard type, pistol grip (I think the A2 is excellent and has the virtue of being almost free), stock type, buffer weight, and trigger.

In the current market, I think I could build something pretty good (durable and accurate) for around $600. I think I could get together something with acceptable utility for less than $500.

I have no interest in pressing my preferences on you, but if you have more questions or want a more specific build list, I am happy to offer suggestions.

Last edited:

rickyrick

You need:
a Lower a Parts Kit ( I recommend CMMG)
A buffer
A receiver extension (aka buffer tube)
Action spring (aka buffer spring)
Buffer
Stock

You can get the tube, spring, and buffer as a set usually.

cc-hangfire

I am not an AR guy either; I have assembled one lower and bought a complete upper. Palmetto State Armory, palmettostatearmory.com , has the parts kits folks above list. I got a LPK with everything needed except the receiver, and their complete basic upper. Their brand of parts are dependable for a general purpose build. IIRC their uppers use FN barrels, good enough for full auto military rifles.

They also run pretty good sale prices; either check their daily deals and clearances or get on their email list to get them automatically. If you don't need to have it RIGHT NOW, you can save some money waiting for the sales.

If I end up building more AR's, it will probably be more use specific guns & more expensive guns. But for entry level general purpose first build, PSA is a good place to start.

Last edited:

Bill DeShivs

Thanks for all the replies. They are most helpful.
I already have a DPMS AR. I build lots of things and am not interested in starting to build these-just utilizing the Palmetto receiver that I already have.
It will just be a 16" M4-style gun.

vkeith

You just missed some great black friday/cyber monday deals on AR15 rifle kits (everything but the lower, magazine, and sometimes sight(s)) from Palmetto State Armory, but if you keep checking their daily deals pages, they will probably have more specials coming up for Christmas and after Christmas sales.

I recently assembled a 16" carbine using an Anderson lower with one of PSA's slick side kits (the lowest priced kit they offer) for $400 complete with magazine, sling, and handle/rear sight. I have been very pleased with it so far, especially for the price.

Edit: The PSA kits come with an assembled upper, and you don't need much to assemble an AR lower. I assembled mine using a pair of tape wrapped channel locks, a hex key wrench, a buffer tube wrench ($16 at PSA), and a safety razor blade. I watched this YouTube video until I felt comfortable with the assembly process. You do have to exercise care when installing the roll pins with the channel locks or you may mar the finish on the lower, but otherwise the lower went together quickly and easily.

Last edited:

rickyrick

I would go, Anderson buffer tube and spring kit... Music wire.
CMMG LPK.
Stock of your liking.
And Anderson stripped lower. I've been finding them for less than 50$.

Anderson is a good lower, unless you don't like their roll mark