What do I need to know about compressed loads?

jhansman

I'm going to be working up loads of Varget for a 77gr bullet in .223 Rem. (Savage 12 F/TR; 1:7 twist) Hodgdon's site lists it at 21gr. to 23.7C

Do any of you load this bullet/powder combo, and if so, what can you share with me about it? I've never loaded a full case, so should I just stay away from it and stick to the low end? Many thanks.

mrawesome22

Compressed loads are often the most accurate because they have very consistent ignition and burn.

Stay away from compressed loads with ball powders. They are already tightly packed and compression will sometimes push the bullet back out of the case or bulge the brass if you go real crazy with it.

I won't even consider a powder anymore unless I can get a compressed load with it, which is the reason I have no use for ball powders.

Adamantium

There isn't anything dangerous about a compressed load in and of itself. Sticking to published load data is the important thing, compressed or not. I don't use that specific powder/bullet combo but used up all my 4046 with 55 grainers which is compressed at max and never had a problem.

jhansman

Well, I don't have the powder yet, so I don't even know if 23.7gr will fill the case (although I suspect it will). I just wanted to hear from those of you who do have experience loading this way, and any cautions I should observe.

Scharfschuetzer

Powder drop tube.

Another way to fill a case is with a powder drop tube.

These used to be pretty popular, but I haven't seen much on them lately. The kernels of powder will self-align and fill in excess air space by slowly dropping the powder a distance of 6 or so inches though a tube into the case. They are a good way to get bulky stick powder into a case without having to compress it with the bullet in the seating process.

NWPilgrim

Yes, Varget will fill the case enough for almost any bullet weight to highly compress. I have not loaded the 77 SMK but have loaded 75 gr Hornady THP. CRUNCH. It looks like there is no way the bullet can seat deep enough with a nearly full case of powder and loooong bullet, but it does.

I found that Varget gets more accurate the more it is compressed at least on 55 - 75 gr bullets.

Tim R

If you are loading the 77 gr SMK with RE 15 or Varget you will be loading compressed loads. I’ve loaded a bunch off the 77 gr SMK's with RE15 and have found no problems. I will suggest using the Forester match seating die over the Redding. The reason is 2 fold. 1st, the Forester is $20 something cheaper. 2nd, the Redding will not take repeated compressed load seating. There is a plastic piece under the knob which breaks. This is well documented in the High Power community where compressed 77 and 80 gr SMK loads are the norm. Besides, the Forester is built like a tank and you will be glad to have it.