What do I have here?

bonefamily

Hello everyone. I am wanting to know a bit more of what I have here. This revolver belonged to my grandmother as she got it from a law enforcement friend - year is unknown. She has passed it down to my father (he never fired it) and he is now passing it down to me. I really know very little about revolvers as I have been a SA shooter. Can anyone share any information on it? Sorry for the bad photos as my photo skills are very poor. Thanks for looking.

IMG_0304_zpsf7f020e2.jpg

IMG_0308_zpsf0b2da13.jpg

IMG_0315_zps3863d92d.jpg

IMG_0313_zps9bef7eae.jpg

IMG_0307_zps04264afb.jpg

lcpiper

I didn't find anything that looked absolutely reliable but this little snippets sound reasonable.

Late 50's early 60's, Imperial Metal Products. The 22 short is the Model 7. The 22 long Rifle version is the Model 9. After failure and bankruptcy they reorganized as United States Arms. From junk to Gold. The Imperial 22's are, how do I put this in a nice way, junk. The U.S Arms Revolvers were Crown Jewels.
The Imperial .22's were made for one reason and one reason only, to raise money for a new venture.

The gun is from the 50s and was a give away gun from imp company if a gun dealer was to sell a gun store say 1000 dollors worth of guns from them they would give the gun to them as a thank u gift and they all caMe withj pearl handles

I found what looks to be two versions of the gun currently listed on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=330518745

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=329344523

Notice the second is Identified as a Rohm RG10 made in West Germany.

Another story I saw is this and it ties some things together possibly.

I am from Kinston NC those 22 revolvers were sold by Demains pawn and gun in the 60's. They had a batch made using their company IMP as retailers . Don't know where the guns were made they look like RG's. I saw these revolvers in their store in the 60's they did a little importing of surplus guns in the 60's. They were located at 108 E Blount st , in Kinston, NC I have not live in Kinston for 25yrs don't know if they bare still in business

If some of all these board posts are correct then it might be that the actual manufacturer would have been Rohm in West Germany. That the guns were imported for sale by Demains Pawn and Gun in Kinston, NC. And that at least some were marked and "gifted" as IMP guns and possibly sold as well, and perhaps destributed for resale by Demains Pawn and Gun.

This is pretty lose conjecture unless you find something better.

bonefamily

Thanks for the information and links, lcpiper! My grandmother always resided in TN, so NC is not far away and makes sense how it could have got to her. The 50's sounds about correct to when she may have aquired it. I should possibly refrain from firing it to save its keepsake in one piece (that is if the revolver is indeed junk - I would not like to have it fall appart).

lcpiper

Many of the guys who posted about their Model 7s said that they were cherished keepsakes their fathers or grandfathers had kept. They look like a neat little gun and sometimes the oddest things are the easiest to get attached too.

Funny thing is, if you have a kid, kids take an easy liking to things that look built for them, smaller then normal. It would be very easy to keep that gun around and make it seem special or favorite. Later it could become that same special gun for someone and love for any gun can become a love and appreciation for them all.

Someday all those little guns are going to get real hard to find and even harder to find in good shape.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If you want to keep it as a memento, better to not fire it. I have had them self-destruct after a few rounds. The German-made guns had to at least stay in one piece for proof firing, but those assembled in the U.S. with U.S.-made frames and German parts did not have to be proof tested.

Jim

bonefamily

I have had them self-destruct after a few rounds. The German-made guns had to at least stay in one piece for proof firing, but those assembled in the U.S. with U.S.-made frames and German parts did not have to be proof tested.

Yikes, that's not too reassuring...

damienph

Those little RGs just were not made for the long haul. I had one years ago (a gift) it had a ZAMAK frame which is a Zink alloy. I suspect that yours does as well. It's chambered in 22 short. From the pictures, it looks to be in pretty good shape, you could probably fire it but I wouldn't fire it much. BB or CB caps might be safer to fire in it than the 22 Short.