What die Manufacturer is your favorite ?

Which Die Manufacturers is your favorite?

• Dillon

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Hornady

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Lee

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • RCBS

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Redding

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Lyman

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tonyz

For straight walled cartrages, who do you like best?

I use to like Dillon but lately I have change my prefrence to the Hornady series II

Tony

Dave R

I like Redding. Easy to adjust. Includes the shell holder and spare decapping pin (which I have never used yet.)

P95Carry

For economy reasons 25 years ago - I started Lee .... and all but stayed Lee. Have had odd sets of used RCBS, but overall ... find that the Lees are fine .. quality has improved over time ..... love the factory crimp dies too.

Using the tungstens on straight walls (except with 45-70) .. makes for quick work by avoiding lube.

Si6

RCBS....
lifetime warrenty ..nuff said

I do have a set of lyman .44 dies not bad at all.and they back the product up like rcbs.

Si6

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Lordy! I have dies from Pacific, Redding, RCBS, and who knows what else? Some were "good used" when I got them in 1950...

They all work; I've never had any problems with any of them. I've certainly never had an accuracy problem which could be blamed on the dies...

:), Art

Chris McDermott

Redding Pro die sets with a Lyman "M" die to expand the mouth for the bullet.
Can't beat the Redding Profile crimp die for a good strong crimp, and the "M" die makes bullet seating easy without losing neck tension.

Bz45acp

I have had great results with the Hornady dies using the no-lube titanium nitride sizing die.
I also like the guiding cup on the seating die.

rifle.jpg

rick_reno

I like Redding, they seem to have a better finish on the product. I use mostly RCBS, because that's what I have the most of.

Bruce Layne

Lee usually offers the best value in reloading equipment. I'm of the impression that dies are one of the areas where Lee isn't just the best value, it's also the best quality. The dies are excellent, and the price is about half.

Carbide is nice to avoid lube when sizing brass. The collet retained decapping pin allows plenty of force to push out a primer but slides up in the die if you try to do something stupid, keeping you from breaking a decapping pin. The factory crimp die is excellent and produces very accurate and reliable ammo. Many dies have a pretty polished surface finish, but the Lee dies have very low runout. They're not only nice looking dies, but they're very accurately made as well. Pistol or rifle, I don't think you'll be disappointed with Lee Precision, for price or quality.

optilink

I use Redding for my rifles and Lee for my handguns. I have not tried any of the others yet. I will be trying out my new Lyman m type expander for pistols soon.

esheato

It depends on the caliber and application, but you asked about straight wall cartridges. I usually use RCBS, as they're only about a 25 minute drive N of me. For serious rifle work (shooting for groups), I use the Redding Competition Type-S bushing dies.

Ed

HSMITH

For serious stuff Redding is tops whether rifle or pistol. RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, and similar are ALL good dies and make good ammunition. Lee dies are cheaper than the others by a good $10 and lots of times $20 or more. They also make good ammunition and provide a darn good value for the dollar, and does not surpise me at all to see the positive response in the poll to Lee dies. I have quite a few Lee die sets and they ALL work good. They are not Reddings, but you don't pay Redding prices either.

On progressive machines the Dillon dies reduce problems quite a bit and work very well. I have a few sets of Dillon dies and prefer them for general use unless used for a looser chambered gun. On brass that was used in a looser chambered gun the Dillon dies don't get quite low enough on the case to size out all of the case expansion.

alan

I use RCBS, they came with the first press, and RCBS Jr. that I bought in 1967. Never had a problem with them, and now and then, when I did something silly, they were always helpful. Use RCBS dies for pistol and rifle.