What did YOU find in Grandma's attic?

Bosshoff

I am wondering, what firearms have you guys found in Grandma's, Grandpa's, neighbor's, etc. attic? I always wonder about all the cool WW11 stuff which many veterans brought back from overseas. What did you find?

rangermonroe

My granddad had a Luger that he had taken from a german officer. The guy had fired it dry and was beating it against a stone wall to destroy it. Gramp took it and made a replacement handgrip from an ammo crate, which he even checkered.

It was an amatureish job, at best. I loved it, as I could just imagine my Granddad at 18years old, whittling away.

bclark1

i found a stack of playboys from the 1940s and 50s in one of my uncle's attics once. i was like 11 at the time so i think it just ended up getting thrown out. if only there'd been eBay. no guns unfortunately :(

racinstylez

maybe I should check out my grandmas garage. I know my grandpa served in WWII, so he must have something. The only thing I have that was his, is this cool Texas belt buckle from like mid 1950's er so....

jefnvk

Grandpa sold his M1 and all the ammo and 16" bayonet a few years back, and they have cleaned that attic out many times :(

texas07

bayonet

Found a WWI bayonet for a m1903. Produced in 1917. Sat in a warehouse until WWII when it was retrofitted with "plastic" (its a weird material, but plastic was pretty new then) grips instead of the older wooden ones and supposedly issued for use with the m1 garand. The true wwII production models designed for garand use have the blade shortened by about six inches, so now i dont know which gun to buy to put it on, the m1903 or the m1... Grandpa was in Korea so i suppose thats where its from...

USP45usp

Nothing :(. My grandparents weren't/aren't into guns and the ones that my grandpa had here (the one in Oregon) were taken by the kids and sold/pawned for booze :( :mad: .

I have an uncle (by marriage) that is reported to have guns but, he won't show them so I think that it's all talk, most likely pawned or sold.

So, nothing. Oh well.

Wayne

I also found a bayonet, mine is a 16" 1904 dated, with wood handles that have blue paint in spots. The blade is still fairly sharp but the very tip is chipped, there is little rust, and the mechanism for locking to the weapon muzzle is broken. The strange thing is that no one in my family was in the service before me and that Grandfather had nothing but girls....

kozak6

An old H&R Topper model 12 gauge, on my father's side.

On my mother's side, old old Crosman pellets, a carboard cylinder of Daisy BB's, a small bag of REALLY REALLY tiny lead shot, while I was doing some digging outside of the garage, I found a rusted up knife, tons of primers (many unfired, and would still go off when smacked with a hammer), a couple of shell casings, and some unfired slugs.

It's unfortunate, as he was an avid shooter, sportsman, and reloader. All the good stuff was sold off when I was really young.

jefnvk

Phil, you say 1904??

I coulda sworn at that time, they were using that rod bayonet, or did they already switch over? You may want to look into that, you could be sitting on some money right there.

Of course if you don't care about that stuff, you could ship it to me :D

TimRB

A neighbor, who moved into a house lived in by a guy who turned out to be a drug dealer, petty thief, and murderer, found a revolver in the crawlspace above the ceiling. It was loaded except that one cartridge had been fired.

Tim

dfaugh

My good friend just brought me 3

That her father(or at one time grandfather) owned, since the depression...All were used to put meat on the table, so she asked me to clean them up, so she can display as family heirlooms. (She's not anti, but not a shooter either, although I convinced her to shoot 2 of the 3, assuming they are safe). Unfortunately, they've been neglected badly, aren't in the best of shape. They are:

Crescent-Davis .410 SxS, made 1930-31
Winchester 1890,.22 short pump("GalleryGun"),made 1905-6
Remington Model 8 autoloader in.35 Remington (haven't researched this one yet)

Its been fun researching them for her, hopefully I can make them "presentable" for her.

mfree

Well, I've yet to clean out the attic in the house I have now... but i can say the only time I've ever found something "of interest" while cleaning was when I hauled a small box of radio blasting caps out of the garage. No idea where those came from... but then, there's a dynamit nobel plant a few miles down the road from the old hovel, maybe it fell out of a truck?

N.H. Yankee

We had many family treasures until the house next door caught on fire when I was 12 and the roof of ours started smoking. The fire dept threw everything that were heirlooms out the third story attic window and chopped many things with an axe throughout the house, like our pool table, Our house only had minor smoke damage and the roof was burnt minimally. Then what was left was stolen while we were made to stay in a hotel. Since then I have not been fond of firefighters but ironically my wife's father was a lifetime fireman, as is most of her family. I feel my most valuble treasures are the wonderful memories of my grandparents that can never be lost or stolen.

sm

One of the elderly club members died, his widow asked that we go through his stuff and make an offer, as that was his wish. There were no kids, no family.

Hot, humid summer morning - We went went into the attic...and very slowly eased backed down, left the attic access down. We called the Fire Dept to come retrieve all them kegs of black powder.

"He was always dragging something in and hoarding something or another. He cleaned up his shop, wondered what he did with some of his junk" :D

Found a NIB model 12 with the leather case and all. Seems he kept sneaking into the attic and at least keeping things well kept and preserved.

"Always figured he was up to something when I left for Sunday School and Church...like he was pushing me out the door on Sunday Mornings..." :p

In two huge wooden lockers it seems he built up there, he had besides the Model 12 and BP, about 4 cases of Brand new Peter's paper hulled target loads, ammo in various calibers for handguns, shotguns and rifles, some old hardware shotgun, some kind of Iver Johnson revolver, and oh...remember the old calendars with the clear cover over the calendar girl, the one when lifted revealed what was underneath? He had those too.

"Always went down to that Car fix-it shop , just a carrying on about a calendar from the vehicle paint rep... I never saw one of them calendars...figured he was off eating junk food and getting off his doctors diet again..." :p

wyrdone

Luger .22LR bolt action rifle.
10Gauge Blackpowder double barrel shotgun (spiraled damascus barrel) (uses brass cases for rounds)
.58Cal Blackpowder rifle. Percussion cap from early 1800's.
Drop-block breach loading blackpowder rifle from Civil war.
.410 "backpackers" shotgun from the 1930-40's. (still works like a charm)

And my grandfathers homemade "cannon" (fires baseballs a LONG way).

I got the .410, and my father & brother have the rest currently.

Shorthair

Attachments

• mauserk98sm.jpg
    mauserk98sm.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 51
  • mauserk98sm1.jpg
    mauserk98sm1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 46
  • mauserk98sm2.jpg
    mauserk98sm2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 62