What did Ruger do to the Single Six?

john1911

I was just browsing the Ruger site, http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdRes...ation=Blued Convertible&bct=Yes&type=Revolver, and noticed all the blue Single Six models now have hard rubber grips and an internal lock. When did this happen and are they going to do the same to the stainless models?

Assuming this is a recent change, how long before these new models make it into the supply stream? I was going to pick up a blue 4 5/8" model around Christmas time. Will the "lock" model be all that's out there in a couple months?

22-rimfire

I heard that the no-lock revolvers were being phased out and the easy what to pick them up is the plastic grips vs. wood. I believe Ruger is going to be changing their whole line to the lock models, revolver model by model. As far as Christmas goes, I have no idea.

Thunderhawk88

The company that used to supply Ruger's wood grips (IIRC) is no longer. Ruger began putting the plastic or rubber grips on all their guns a while back.

Jim March

Welll....the good news is that the Single Six is now a better "cross trainer" for the Vaquero and 50th 357 Blackhawk. The grip feel will be closer.

Also...there are zero reports of lock failure on the keylock gripframe. None. I own one in a New Vaq and having looked at the mechanism I'm not surprised.

mrMONEYman

Wow,
Just when I was thinking about trading my SS or selling it off.......hum, I think I'll think twice about it now.

The new one on their website are UGLY......to me:barf:

One of the reasons why I bought mine was because of the nice wooden grips. For a SA revolver, I seem to like the wood grips or "ivory" like grips....the blacks one......too tacticool for a SA revolver.

BlkHawk73

Wonder how many remember the very early Ruger SA's having the black rubber grips as standard. They were the ones before they had the wood which were much nicer than the later wooden ones. I like the feel of the newer ones myself and it's only a single screw to change them out if i didn't. :p

gak

One of the reasons why I bought mine was because of the nice wooden grips. For a SA revolver, I seem to like the wood grips or "ivory" like grips....the blacks one......too tacticool for a SA revolver.

I realize this is all personal preference, but isn't that like calling 95% of the Colt SAAs ever made since 1873 -- the ones that started them all -- "too tacticool for a SA revolver" - ? :)

john1911

The grips aren't that big a deal. There are several places selling aftermarket grips.

My concern is the internal lock. Someone stated that there hasn't been any problems reported yet, I think there will be in the future. My gripe is with the idea of the internal locks. Don't like them and won't own a gun with one.

Jim March

Between Ruger, S&W and Taurus, the Ruger lock is both the least troublesome and by far the easiest to completely disable.

It's also completely invisible by default.

454c

Hey Jim, isn't that akin to comparing chairs on the Titanic? Which one's going under first?:D

I hate to see Ruger do this to another model. On the other hand, they're saving me some money.

glockopop

Aren't there 98 bajillion of these used readily available? If it's such a problem to you, just buy an older one.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Give up, Jim. No one will ever convert the "anti-lock" folks. If the locks fail, they will have proved their point. If the locks don't fail, they lie about it and say they do. They have openly stated that they would rather have boycotts and put every gun company out of business than own a gun with a lock. "If I can't have a gun made my way, no one is going to have any guns," seems a bit extreme, but those folks are extreme.

Jim

454c

So the folks reporting failures are liars? Interesting. Also interesting that if a person doesn't like a feature of a model, they are suddenly brand x haters.

It seems "extreme" goes both ways.

azredhawk44

On this particular revolver, I don't see a problem with an internal lock on it. It's a single-action .22.

But I wouldn't own a GP/SP/Redhawk with a lock on it.

john1911

Give up, Jim. No one will ever convert the "anti-lock" folks. If the locks fail, they will have proved their point. If the locks don't fail, they lie about it and say they do. They have openly stated that they would rather have boycotts and put every gun company out of business than own a gun with a lock. "If I can't have a gun made my way, no one is going to have any guns," seems a bit extreme, but those folks are extreme.

Jim

Never mentioned a boycott or said I wouldn't buy one. Probably will end up buying a SS with the lock. Just threw me for loop as this was the first I'd seen this on the Ruger website.

I can't understand why, after 100s of years with no internal locks, we suddenly need them on every model. Have people became that stupid or are lawyers running the show?

Sarge

I've got no problem with people who buy lock-equipped firearms; your money-your choice, I do have a problem with anyone who thinks those of us who refuse to buy them are ‘Lockjaws’, ‘Whiners’, ****-Suckers’ and now 'liars'.

Counterpoint here.