What convinced you to invest in (buy) a Silencer?

SR420

Many people have purchased at least one sound suppressor (silencer) within the last decade.

Questions:
1. What convinced you to buy a sound suppressor?

2. Was it worth the time and effort?

3. Was it for a pistol or a rifle?

4. What manufacturer?

Answers:
1. I wanted to shoot my rifles politely on my property and not annoy my neighbors.
2. It was well worth the time and effort.
3. Mine is a .308 caliber rifle suppressor.
4. Smith Enterprise is the manufacturer.

weblance

I have a groundhog problem. They dig under my front porch, and under my shed. When my wife stepped in a GH hole, and fell, I decided it was time to thin the herd. I started with CB type ammo. I have very close neighbors, and didnt want to upset anyone. After hitting several GHs with the CBs, and watching them run away, wounded, I decided that more power was needed. I bought a SilencerCo SS Sparrow. It was most certainly worth the time, and effort. I have cleaned up the neighborhood now, and my one neighbor has thanked me because his garden is safe. I switch back and forth between pistol, and rifle with my suppressor, and really enjoy shooting with no ear protection. Im getting ready to make another rimfire suppressor purchase.

Willie Lowman

I decided to get a suppressor after shooing my friend's MP5SD. My first can was a SWR Trident9 for my Sig P226.

Was it worth the effort? I guess so. While waiting for the Trident9's stamp I bought a Spectre for my 10/22 and 22/45 and a TAC-9 for my Uzi. When I bought the Trident9, it was one of the top suppressors on the market.

As I said, it is used on a 9mm pistol. At one time there were other mounting systems available for the Trident9 but I never purchased them.

I think it was the CDI factor that sold me on the suppressor to begin with. After shooting with the Trident9, I bought another 9mm can and a .22 can. Two years later I bought my 5.56mm can. I honestly prefer to shoot with friends who have suppressors for their guns so nobody has to mess with ear plugs or phones.

Last edited:

Theohazard

1. I made the mistake of shooting a friend's suppressors and got hooked.
2. Yes, for sure.
3. One of each.
4. SWR (Silencerco) Octane-9 and an AAC 7.62 SDN-6.

SR420

Willie Lowman I decided to get a suppressor after shooing my friend's MP5SD.

The MP5SD was the 1st suppressed weapon I ever shot... it took me another 20 years to finally buy a suppressor for myself though.

kawasakifreak77

1: I always thought they were super cool. Now I make enough money to own one.

2: I'm still waiting but yes. I've got to shoot it twice now & it makes everyone around giggle.

3: Rifle.

4: YHM

Grizz12

how does the purchase work? Do you need to apply for each weapon or each suppressor, for both or apply once and your covered for for everything for life?

Willie Lowman

Grizz, for every NFA regulated item you want to own (silencer, machine gun, short barreled rifle/shotgun) You must go through the entire process again.

Even if you are purchasing two on the same day. Gotta do it all for each one.

Grizz12

does that mean I can get one suppressor with one application and use it one multiple weapons of the same caliber or do I need to go through the process with each weapon?

Willie Lowman

You can use the suppressor on whatever you want. As many different hosts as you can find to mount it on. It doesn't even have to be your gun.

You just can't loan it out.

Theohazard

Grizz12 said:
does that mean I can get one suppressor with one application and use it one multiple weapons of the same caliber or do I need to go through the process with each weapon?
Legally, you can put your suppressor on any gun you want (unless it's an integrally-suppressed gun, of course); it's only the suppressor that's regulated. That said, from a technical standpoint you don't want to use your suppressor on a gun that has too big a caliber or has too much pressure, otherwise your suppressor won't last too long ;).

Check out my "Silencer Myth" sticky at the top of this forum, I give a quick run-down of the process to buy a silencer.

Deja vu

I hunt a lot of Deer and Elk. Every time I shoot I wear hearing protection other than while hunting. So suppressing my hunting rifle (45-70) seemed like a good idea. Coming up with heavy subsonic loads for the 45-70 is pretty easy. After that I was hooked.

Questions:
1. What convinced you to buy a sound suppressor? I wanted to keep my hearing

2. Was it worth the time and effort? Yes its great and I get lots of people asking about it.

3. Was it for a pistol or a rifle? My Hunting Rifle (45-70 Govt)

4. What manufacturer? AWC

SR420

Deja vu I hunt a lot of Deer and Elk. Every time I shoot I wear hearing protection other than while hunting. So suppressing my hunting rifle (45-70) seemed like a good idea. Coming up with heavy subsonic loads for the 45-70 is pretty easy. After that I was hooked.

Awesome!

PDXsparky

1. What convinced you to buy a sound suppressor? I want to protect my hearing and they are cool.

2. Was it worth the time and effort? Yes, definitely.

3. Was it for a pistol or a rifle? Since it is primarily for .22LR I can use it on both. It makes my FV-SR with standard velocity ammo quieter than an air gun.

4. What manufacturer? Silencerco Sparrow

Deja vu

scaled.php

So far only 1 deer ( I did not draw for Elk this year) 500 grain hornady bullet penetrates like crazy even at 1050 FPS.

Jay24bal

Sorry to go slightly off topic for the post, but Deja Vu, what rifle is that?

I do not know much about lever guns as I have never had an interest in one until recently, and that thing is beautiful.

Deja vu

Its a Marlin 1895SBL It comes with the larger lever and peep sights as well as a rail on the top of the barrel and a "recoil pad" but the pad is pretty hard. It also comes with the pepper laminate stock.

I had a local smith thread it so it will not come with a threaded barrel.

I have shot bullets as light as 250 grain and as heavy as 540 grain with it. It seems to favor the heavier bullets (350+grains).

p.s. just saw this is post 1911 lol! :D