what condition are you in?

fubsy

This isnt about exercise.....I sure need it though...lol...

I was told this evening about a coworkers brother in law who went to an atm and took out some cash and drove off, as he stopped at a light someone got out of the car behind him and slammed him in the head, the car followed him from the atm, and it was in a prestigious part of town, the guy with the sore head also works for the meto jail system, he now has seziures----cant drive, cant work, he's in dire straights. just fyi folks, dont give the bast*ards a chance and be aware of your surroundings...fubsy.

boing

Mmm...something I learned while living in the not-so-nice parts of the city with my room-mates. The ATM run was a mission: scouts, two-pronged attack, escape routes, improvised weapons... Actually, sounds like paralell countermeasures to the tactics of the crooks.

I have lost my edge out here in the country. Time to sharpen up. Thanks fubs

-boing

[This message has been edited by boing (edited August 20, 1999).]

Wwell, I live in Western Australia, not Chicago or DC.

But I remember something I read from your Col Cooper (and I paraphrase 'cause it's from memory):

"How can you win a fight when you don't even know you're in one?"

My wife thinks I'm paranoid -- but unless I'm in my own home I'm always at least Condition Yellow.

You think that's bad? I have a friend (ex-SAS) who won't even sit in a restaurant unless he's facing the door. It's a habit I've picked up, too.

B

Fred S

Situational awarness is always the key. Fighterpilots says its the one you don't see or know about that gets ya!

Mike in VA

Both of the ATMs I use are in very public, open places in 'nice' commercial areas. I try to avoid going after dark when ever possible. However, I always look the place over real well as I pull in, and I always have at least my Tomcat in my pocket. Once in the car, windows up, doors locked. There is no substitute for awareness. There was a famous bank robber (I forgot his name-) in the thirties, who replied, when asked why he robbed banks, "That's where the money is!"
Stay safe, M2

ChrisL

Good question. At first my wife thought I was slightly uh, over-vigilent? But now she understands the different measures I take(no back to the door, indirect route back to the car-circling to see all four sides and underneath, distances between cars at stop lights, doors locked while driving, etc.) Now she's getting into the habit and says she can't believe how much she missed that was going on around her. All this without feeling like we're under stress. It just becomes habit. Not sure what condition that is but it's nice to not feel like we're less likely to be surprised by someone or something. It could still happen but we feel better prepared.

If anyone has some good tips let's hear them!

Chris..

[This message has been edited by ChrisL (edited August 20, 1999).]

G35MN

Hey Chris,

Glad you pointed out the tip about leaving a distance between you and the car in front of you at stop light or stop signs. I REALLY need to remember this as I always pull up close. This leaves me no escape route except backwards. Normally I'm very aware. I help teach in my karate class and really like the Womens self defense part the best. You would be amased how many women never think about bad things that can happen.

Thanks for the reminder.

Mike Spight

Chris:

This has already been mentioned, but I want to give you the info on how to gauge the proper distance.

When driving an auto and stopped in traffic, don't stop too close to the vehicle in front of you. What you want is to be able to see his rear tires as they are in contact with the pavement. That way, you will have ample room to pull around them (assuming you're not boxed in by other vehicles) and move out smartly if someone approaches your car with a weapon, attacks you, etc. Any closer than that, and you're stuck there.

As others have said: CONDITION YELLOW ALWAYS!

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited August 20, 1999).]

dog3

When it looks like you may be the first in line at a stoplight on a multilaned road, I typically creep to the light and allow whoever is in the other lane(s) to arrive at the stop first and then come to a stop so that their door pillar occludes their view of me, but I can still scope them out pretty well. This also leaves a good buffer to be able to creep up if the vehicle to the rear is "too close".

A little practice and experimentation is all it takes to gain the "weather gauge" at an intersection. If someone else is also jockying for the "weather gauge", I have sometimes just gone on ahead and checked carefully and cleared the intersection. I would much rather explain my "disregarding a traffic control device" to the powers than get caught in an avoidable altercation.

Jessica Wellman

Great thread guys and wonderful pointers. Being a woman who frequently travels alone, I find my paranoia kicks in frequently. It seems I'm always watching my surroundings. I try to use body language when walking in airports. I try not to let anyone see a country girl that is in Chicago or New York by herself and unarmed to boot! It gets difficult hiding fear, but that is what is required.
While driving I've approached red lights on lonely dark city streets. I catch myself watching every corner and my back side. I love to take the T-tops out and put my windows down, but that's a big no-no while traveling alone.
As far as carrying money when I travel, it's always in my front pocket. They can have my purse, the only thing they will find is some used Kleenex and some chewing gum.
But it is true, I am a fighter, they are going to have to fight hard for my Dentyne. :)

10mmrules

We are having a lot of armed home invasions here. I saw in the paper the other day, that we have had 5 home invasions, where the 3 bg's are picking out a target at the local Walmart, and following them home. after they enter the home the perp's knock on the door. when they answer it, they force the way in and rob and beat up the homeowner/s. I hope they dont try me Ill have to introduce them to Mr. 10mm....

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best

ChrisL

Mike, thanks for the tip. It's amazing how one can feel trapped in a car, unlike being on foot. At least that's my perception anyway. Having the extra space around my vehicle gives some me the feeling there is a chance of escaping should it be required.

Chris..

G-Freeman

I suffer from the malaise of being kind of scatterbrained at times and worse naive. It takes conscious effort to get into a condition yellow mindset for some of us. Perhaps that is why intense focused activities like rock climbing or going fast on a bike are refreshing to me. I am learning though and work hard at being overtly aware of my surroundings.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Mike in VA: The bank robber's name was Willie Sutton.

I took a combat pistol coure in 1980. Cooper's book, "Principles of Personal Defense" was included. I've lived in Condition Yellow ever since.

No ulcers...

:), Art

WOLF

The postings on leaving a good amount of room in front of your car are great I teach it always..!
( You must also be on the look out for the car crash and grabs...there seems to be an increase of bogus bumps from behind at stop sighns and traffic lights, they always have witnesses in their car...and when you get out or roll down window...gotcha.!)
I teach my friends and family to drive directly to a well lighted parking lot or to a police station.

As to my TIP for you all:
When using an ATM at a Bank location, adjust your rearview mirror to see behind you in the drive up slot...aim it back more and slightly down to catch the SNATCH & GRABS who just about Belly crawl up to your side waiting for the money to spit out.

When using the walk up, try not to use the ones with the vestibule rooms in non viewable locations (Ie...in back of banks), even though you pull the door shut, you are penning yourself in for the hoodlum to wait for you to exit, at his mercy.

Instead I prefer the open faced ones on the front of the bank close to the road were I am more easily visible and my avenues for escape are greater.

And finaly when confronted by a would-be robber the commonly taught practice is to throw your wallet or purse on the ground away from you and flee the area.
The idea that they will go for the money and not bother with you.
I teach that this is OK , but not my prefered aproach .
Often as not they have acomplices who are just dieing to pistol wip you or restrain you from fleaing.

I teach to be aware of were exactly the roof is of the building you are standing next too, and if threatend or your instincts go into overdrive, throw your wallet and or pocket book on the roof.
The look on the bad guys face as your money and credit cards are out of his reach and you are screaming your head off, will get him moving out in a hurry.
Then simply call for the police, they will assist you in the recovery of your belongings , and will be put on notice of your close call. They will be forced to patrol the area more dilegently, and have them stupid shrubs moved or trimmed so as not to provide lurking places.

( The above mentioned technique was taught to my own mother of 74 yrs. she executed it with style, and when the LEO officers stopped howling in delight they asked if MOM, ever met me.
She told them her name, and said YES the very first minute I was born... :)

fubsy

wolf,
great idea, although they could still whoop on ya...or maybe get whooped ...lol...
There are some defensive driving schools around that can give all of us a great experience to help avoid the possibilities of car snatching, etc......any one know their location?...fubsy.