What companies make good 1911's?

Jericho9mm

I am saving my money up to buy a new gun and i was looking seriously at getting a 1911 based on its reputation alone. What are some companies (not custom smiths) that sell good ones or at least good clones? I was hoping to get a list and research them out before I go to the shop to handle them so I will at least know a little about them. :cool:

Thanks for all your help!

Jericho9mm

I wasnt being obstreperous in any way i really want to know what are some good 1911's, if i am going to invest in one i want to know about it first. either way it is way better than being truculent.

kymasabe

Well, I thing Springfield would be a good place to start. I know some custom builders like using Norinco frames but maybe those are junk before the 'smiths do their magic. Kimber makes a ton of 1911's but you'll find like any other manufacturer, lovers and haters of any particular brand. I'm not a 1911 fan don't take anything I say as gospel truth...I think S&W is making 1911's, I know Taurus is coming out with a 1911, may be out already. If you want cheap, there is always Llama and the Bersa/Firestorm line. I think the Firestorm Gov't model claims that most of the parts are interchangable with other 1911's..Mil Spec. There's also Rock River Arms, and Charles Daly too.
But, if it was me, and I had a hankerin' for a 1911...Springfield would be my first choice.

Ozzieman

Depends on the ammount you want to spend

My old Colt gold cup is very hard to beat.
Springfields are good for the money.
I have two Kimbers that have been flawless.
I would not buy a S&W 1911, not for any good reasion other than there being copycats of the worst kind. (and I really like and collect N frames).
If your looking for a good shooter get a Colt Goverment. You can always modify the thing later and there are no lack of upgrade parts for a Colt.

Jericho9mm

The amount that i am looking to spend is between $550 and $650, with a possible ceiling of $700, it will be a kind of a graduation from college present to me from my parents but i need to pick one out.

tex45acp

Jericho,

Every major manufacturer makes great out of the box shooters and they all make guns that need some adjustment as well. It's a coin toss.

Springfield Armory
Kimber
Colt
Para Ordnance
These are your top 4 non-custom guns and each also makes custom variables of their standard production.

Wilson
Baer
Ed Brown
Cylinder & Slide
STI
These are a few of the better Custom (high dollar) guns.

Take your pick!!

yorec

I was in youre shoes not four months ago... I went with Springfield Armory and haven't had cause to look back yet. :cool:

h_tolley

If you want brand new I'd get a new Colt full sized. If you can live with one a couple years old, I'd get a Kimber series 1 (I never did like the swartz-a-matic- 'safety' in the series 2). Springfield Armory are fine, but when I quit buying them they still had two-piece barrels :( (not sure if this is true today) and a blockier front strap (this has definitely changed to better profile). :)
Just one man's opinion...

progunner1957

Many good choices available in 1911s

My choice would be either a -

Colt 1991A1
Colt XSE Government model
Colt Combat Commander
one of the Springfield Armory 1911s
or a Kimber 1911

Not in order of choice.

Kimber seems to run hot and cold, putting out flawless 1911s for awhile and then putting out a batch that has problems. I have one of the first TLE II's to come out and it has been 100%+ reliable with a very good trigger and excellent accuracy.

If I were to buy a new Kimber, I'd get the "Desert Warrior" model; otherwise, I'd get one of the Colt XSE 1911s, which are the best 1911s Colt has put out in 30 years, according to some of the gun writers and other 1911 experts.

WESHOOT2

'manufacturers'; I mean 'good manufacturers'

Baer
Brown
Clark
Infinity
Kimber
Nowlin
RRA
SIG
S&W
STI
Wesson

pretty short list, ay?

swingset

Smith and Wesson makes, to me what is the best gun for the money in 1911's. The std. stainless 1911 can be had for $650, and for that price you get exceptional fit and finish, reliability (out of the box), accuracy and good features. Not to mention, one of the best customer service depts. of any of the production 1911's.

Can't go wrong there.