What choke for sporting clays?

herdman

I am getting into this some. Nothing serious at this point. I just take my Mossberg 500 pump with a 28" vent rib barrel. I have been using the improved cylinder choke. Is this correct or should I be using one of the other chokes? Thanks for any advice.

FITASC

Depends on where you shoot and the targets they throw. Some courses offer all close stuff so an IC is fine. Others offer stuff with more distance where a LM or M is the better choice. I use a gas gun and shoot a LM for 90%. N ow and again I will run into a station with really close, so I'll use a SK; and if it is really far, I'll use a LF

Bake

Super hard question. I carry Skt #1, I.C., Skt #2(Lite Mod.), Mod, I.M., & Full. Plus I carry a note book and record each station's layout and my hits & misses. You might also want to track what ammo you are using. I would start with 1 1/8 oz. of #8, but I would have #7 1/2, #8 1/2, and #9,s in the bag.

(Just added) Oh, one more thing, if I was using a single barrel (like your pump) I would choke the barrel for the first shot, and hope for the best with the second shot, or in till my note book tells me different...

See below for special instructions.....

Last edited:

FITASC

Sorry Bake, but, IMO, you are making WAY too much of this. The FOCUS needs to be on the bird, not what choke or whether you have 1-1/8 of 8 or 7.5 or only 1oz of either, etc.

You need a choke for close, one for most of the targets and one for really far. 95% of the targets, if set properly, will be between 20 and 50 yards. My namessake game specifies 35-55 yards, but in FITASC, your second shot at a single might be closer or further.
1oz of 7.5 @ 1200 will break any target.

FITASC

OCD is GOOD! (as long as that effort is all on the target):D:p:D

Shot a registered tournament today. Out of 12 stations I had 7/8 on seven of them, including one as a gun malf. I tied for first with two others. FOCUS (or, in my case an absent-minded lack thereof) cost me sole possession of first. Been doing that now for 1-1/2 years in my current class. Making those stupid misses would mean I'd be 2 classes higher. THAT is what I am talking about - even if you do not shoot serious competition, it is those little things that mean the difference between winning and going home wondering........

NoSecondBest

The first couple of years I shot tournaments I changed tubes on about every station. I must have come close to wearing out my choke tube wrench. I had every choke constriction available. After I started learning how to shoot I changed tubes less and less. Now days I carry a few different loads with me and maybe change chokes a couple of times during a shoot. I've won my state shoot twice and regional shoot twice and pretty much shoot in the 40s on a regular basis on a 50 shot course. I shoot less now than I used to at matches since I started shooting single shot rifles more and more. I've seen some really good pros shoot the entire course with fixed chokes at large shoots and shoot in the 90s. Jon Woley has given me lessons in the past and he was shooting fixed chokes at the time (probably still does) and they were what he called Light Full and Full on his gun. Don't get too hung up on choke and pay attention to what you're doing with the gun.

RobinTN

If I had to shoot one choke only at every station of every course, I'd keep my LM/M (Muller U2) in the barrel. Actually I do. I know it, in the right hands, will break 90% + of the targets presented...It's me that can't hit over 80%.

Shotgun Slim

I watched guys worry more about choke selection than breaking targets and it usually showed in the scoring. I always kept it simple and loaded the one choke I would need for the longest shot I may get. That way I wasn't giving any targets away. Yes I was overchoked for some shots but that caused me to have to be more precise on those shots which is never a bad thing. I would say my scores validated my theory. Your results may vary.

BigJimP

Every course is different....and its different every time you go there probably ...because they move the machines around, change angles, etc....

But probably 90% of the time I'll shoot a Modified...but I would always have a variety of chokes available for my gun ....Skeet, IC, Mod, Imp Mod and Full..picking the right choke does matter for optimum results.

SauerGrapes

I use 2 chokes, imp cylinder and modified. If I need a full choke, I just leave the modified in. If it's that far, I probably can't see it anyway. ...lol.

BigJimP

But one lost target ...in a tournament....can be a big deal ! ( so choke for the shot - at the kill range, is my point ).

I've lost tournaments ....by one bird...on a couple of occasions / I'd hate it -if it was because I was too lazy to change to the appropriate choke for the shot on one or two stations...

use the best tool...for the job ....

123kiwi

I've only ever used Modified and it has served me well... once you start hitting them, it seems pointless to change...

SARuger

I either shoot with a IC or MOD in my 11-87. I worry a lot about that first bird because if I miss that Im going to miss the second one. Nerves LOL!

Bake

Is it possible to shoot a 100/100 (100%) on a Sporting Clays course, using the same choke and load, at each station? Not likely (for me anyway), that's why I carry different chokes, and different loads. And I keep track with a Dope Book. I'm not a "Trap-Tramp" (any more), I only shoot at one range, and it doesn't get changed too offen. So good Dope Book helps me to replete the good hits, and to avoid misses (due to Eqt. selection).

Last edited:

FITASC

Sure it, although it has only been a dozen, maybe two dozen times. I have seen a lot of 98s and 99s though, so it is entirely possible

My namesake mandates a max of 1oz and shot no larger than 7.5. Most folks shoot using chokes from LM to F, many using the same choke in both barrels throughout.
However, since each course is different and each setter is a nasty, conniving evil, no good you-know-what, they seem to have a tendency to throw some close, some moderate and some in the next county! :D:eek::D

You have to evaluate the course you are shooting and go accordingly. That said, there really isn't a lot of difference between a SK and IC, or between IM and F to warrant carrying everything. Most courses I have shot in many states can easily be done with a LM for 90% of the targets. If you can shoot that well, then you'll be in the top echelon.
A good setter should be throwing 90% of the targets between 20 and 40 yards where the LM or M really shine.
FOCUS and FIT and having a PLAN are more important than spending time twirling chokes. ;)

Kreyzhorse

Modified should be good enough to cover most shots.

No matter what, I'd suggest putting in one choke and not worrying about it. Learn the shots before worrying about different chokes.