What choices are there in .357 SIG?

Warhammer

I'm interested in a full-sized auto in .357 SIG.

I like the SIG Sauer P229.

Glocks generally don't fit me (or I don't fit Glocks :eek: ).

I'm not interested in compacts. Who else offers a full-sized service pistol chambered in .357 SIG?

Last edited:

MLeake

I have the SIG P229

with both .357 and .40 barrels.

Given current ammo availabilty, it's nice to be able to switch.

It is slightly more accurate with the .357, but no slouch with the .40.

Warhammer

Are there any differences between a gun (say a SIG 229) in .40 S&W versus the same gun in .357 SIG other than the barrel? Would it matter whether one was to buy a .357 SIG and then get a .40S&W barrel or buy a .40S&W and then get a .357 SIG barrel?

Warhammer

No particular purpose, really... I just want one. I already have all the other bases covered (carry, HD, etc...). I just don't currently own a full-sized service pistol. If I decide I really like it, it could become my primary HD pistol. I suppose I might even carry it if Texas ever legalizes open carry. Who knows?

ReNtaPiG

Are there any differences between a gun (say a SIG 229) in .40 S&W versus the same gun in .357 SIG other than the barrel? Would it matter whether one was to buy a .357 SIG and then get a .40S&W barrel or buy a .40S&W and then get a .357 SIG barrel?

I don't know about the SIG other than I love the trigger system and hate everything else, BUT I do own a subcompact S&W M&P in .40 and also own a .357 barrel and the sweet part is the mag is identical...so I just unload the .40 and load up the .357 :D...drop in the barrel and I'm good to go. Everything else is the exact same.

And the only real difference in .357sig and .40s&w is in the ballistics...the .357 is more capable of penetrating HARD targets (ie. planes, trains and automobiles) than the .40 but SOFT targets (ie. gel, paper and humans) the ballistics are VERY similar

Last edited:

GTR645

Warhammer said: Are there any differences between a gun (say a SIG 229) in .40 S&W versus the same gun in .357 SIG other than the barrel? Would it matter whether one was to buy a .357 SIG and then get a .40S&W barrel or buy a .40S&W and then get a .357 SIG barrel?

It shouldn't matter whether you get the .357SIG first or the .40S&W first. SIG and Bar-Sto sell replacement barrels for both. If you want to shoot 9mm, however, you'll need to buy either the .357SIG or the .40S&W then purchase a 9mm conversion barrel, NOT the other way around (buying 9mm pistol then buying .357/.40 conversion barrel). I'm guessing the slide built for 9mm isn't strong enough to withstand the greater pressures caused by the larger cartridges.

Also, my P229 magazines denote ".357/.40S&W" so I'm pretty sure you won't have to buy new magazines for the other caliber.

TJH3781

BHP1.jpg

BHP, 9MM, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, in different top ends.
I hate changing recoil assemblies!

MLeake

Sig P229

Magazine works for either .357 or .40, as noted by GTR645. Recoil spring is same. All you change is the barrel.