What changes, if any, would you make to a Series I Gold Match for CCW?

SnubbyMan

Although I can't CCW in my current state, I'll be moving relatively soon and have always thought about choosing either a Government or Commander-sized 1911-patterned pistol for CCW.

I recently almost bought a Combat Commander for this purpose. However, seeing how the grip between the Govt and Cmdr models are the same dimensions, I don't feel an inch of barrel length is going to make much difference in concealability. FWIW, I would prefer my carry gun to be either carbon or stainless steel since I would like to practice a lot with what I may carry.

All that said, the only 1911-styled gun I own right now is a Kimber SS Gold Match (Series I). I know this gun was probably designed for target shooting, but what would make it a suitable or ideal carry gun?

To be quite honest, I haven't shot the gun in years. I remember having malfunctions somewhat frequently, but it was always very accurate. I've installed a pair of Mccormick "Thin" Grips on them, which seem to work okay for me. Does make the whole grip slimmer. I guess addressing these reliability issues will be of utmost priority. I plan on getting some Wilson mags for it (Are these still considered best of breed?).

I also want to change out the adjustable sight. Anybody know what fixed sights would work in the Kimber? Is the Heinie Straight Eight SlantPro Sight the only night sight option I have available without any machining?

Basically, I'm a new guy to 1911s, new to CCW, have a Gold Match, want to CCW in the future, and don't know where to start (or end). I'm interested in opinions from simple little things to do, all the way to custom jobs where I send the gun away for extended work.

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

James K

Member In Memoriam
I know I will get flamed on this, but I would carry the least fancy and least expensive gun I could find consistent with reliability and reasonable power.

Why? Well, no matter what some folks seem to believe, a CCW doesn't put you back in the wild west where Marshal Dillon declared a shooting a fair fight and sent the shooter on his way.

If you draw your defense gun, even if you don't fire a shot, you better bet on being surrounded by cops who will give you a different view of Glocks or Berettas than you may have had before. The first thing you will hear is "Freeze and drop the gun!" That's right, "Drop the gun". Drop your expensive, fancy, beautiful gun on that rough concrete, or in that snowbank, or in that puddle!? If you have a gun you cherish, you may hesitate, or turn around to explain that you just can't bring yourself to do that. Whereupon, you will not have to worry any more about your gun, ever.

Then, if you get out of the jam you are in, you might (or might not) get your gun back. Of course, it fell out of the evidence box and hit the concrete floor of the evidence room, and got kicked around a bit, so it's pretty beat up. Sure, you can sue the cops for not taking care of your gun. Lotsa luck!

One more point. Don't take a target gun on the street. You don't want a light trigger pull as the only thing between you and an accidental killing. Those 2 pound pulls some people want are not even legal on the target ranges, and they sure have no place on the street with tension high and adrenalin pumping. The idea that in an emergency situation you will be calm, cool and collected like on the range is baloney. People who brag about how they would be calm if confronted by an armed badman are fools and should consider wearing brown pants.

Jim

Jim

Stiletto

fools and should consider wearing brown pants
:confused:

Sound advice from JK. Get something sturdy and functional; don't bring your baby with you on the street.

(Ex: a USP Compact for CCW is fine; a USP Elite with accessories is a no-no)

OBIWAN

If you can carry and conceal a full size 1911 then a Govt Model is a fine choice

Not certain what sight cut Kimbers have...it is a Novak Clone..so maybe :confused:

If the weapon is not reliable (with your carry ammo) then it is useless (IMHO)

Not just useless for carry, completely useless...once again...my $.02 only.

As far as the "dropping the nice gun ...having the nice gun confiscated"

That would be the least of my concerns after the incident...my life is easily worth more than the most expensive handgun I own.

That being said, I see weapons as tools...pretty doesn't matter to me

If it works...all the time...every time...it is pretty!

JK....I seriously doubt that it has a 2 lb trigger...unless it has had some "improvements" made.

But I completely agree about the brown pants ;)

Dave Sample

Good advice from Jim, as usual. I would never think of having a 1911 around here that performed like the one you describe.

If you are going to carry a 1911 and do not mind the size, I would get the cheapest Colt Government model you can find, have it tuned by a COMPETENT pistolsmith ( Not a "Gunsmith") and bolt it on my hip. Fixed sights are good and less prone to come out of adjustment. A carry gun is a tool, not a toy. You already have a Combat Commander that will work. These guns are for short range social use. If you have distance, you are expected to run from a gunfight. Accuracy takes a big back seat to reliablity.

Most of the people on these forums have no idea of what a tremendous responsiblity it is to have a carry permit. If you use the gun , you will lose all you have aquired in life to the lawyers and the courts. If you even display it you will be charged and will have to defend your actions. I would give it some seious thought, if I were you.

XavierBreath

Jim Keenan's advice is sound.

A carry gun takes a lot of abuse from a holster, sweat, buckles, doorjambs, seat belts, you name it. It will be taken as evidence if you use it, and you may not get it back. If police arrive on the scene, it will be dropped to the pavement. All of this demands a reliable but sturdy gun, hardly a target gun.

Another consideration is whether you are comfortable carrying C&L. Many people are not. A 1911 is not ready for use unless it is cocked. Don't think you will be able to do this one handed in a struggle, or chamber a round when you are being tackled by an attacker.

If you are comfortable with C&L carry, then I would recommend a stainless Colt NRM or a stainless Springfield Mil-Spec. Ensure reliability with ammo of your choice and a good magazine, and carry without worry of anything in the first paragraph. It would be easier and cheaper to sell the Kimber and buy a gun more conducive to the task of carry than to convert the Kimber.

FWIW, I have a few pretty 1911s, but for carry I use basic 1911s with proven reliability and a baked on finish.