what causes powder blow back on case

bossman

I loaded some 45 acp with a new powder and had powder blow back on the spent case. I was at min start so shouldn't be to much pressure. Is it to much crimp or not enought crimp?

I was trying for a light load with 4.2 Bullseye and 200 gr plated. any ideals?

AlaskaMike

Do you mean that the cases were sooty on the outside? If so, that's usually an indicator of low pressure, and if you bump up the powder charge a bit (within published data limits) it should go away. What's happening is that there isn't enough pressure to seal the brass case against the chamber.

bossman

OK that's what I was trying for maybe just too light a charge. They were nice loads though and cycled all my autos. I'll step up the loads just a tad.

Sport45

bossman said:
They were nice loads though and cycled all my autos. I'll step up the loads just a tad.

Soot on the outside of the case doesn't hurt anything. If you like the load leave it the way it is. You may have to clean a little more often, but if you're one that cleans after every range trip you'll never see a difference.

bossman

After i cleaned the soot off some of the cases were discolored . Will they still be good for reloading?

k4swb

After many many years of shooting and testing, I have come to the conclusion that the trigger is the cause of dirty ammo.

As long as I never pull the trigger when the ammo is in the gun, it stays perfectly clean. Ammo in a box on the shelf stays pristine and I can even chamber it in any gun I own and it will remain clean. Pulling the trigger messes things up every time.

Therefore I will no longer put any ammo that I wish to remain spotless in the gun and pull the trigger.

Uncle Buck

Bossman, they are still good for reloading. My wife likes lite powered .38 Special rounds and the discoloration is a result. (For really good discoloration, shoot some black powder in your .38 or .45 Colt! Looks pretty!)

Just tumble them and re-load. Some of her loads have been re-loaded several times and no sign of case failure. Like a lot of guys say about semi-auto ammo, you'll probably lose the cases before they wear out.

Just inspect the brass before each reloading session and if there are cracks, toss it.

overkill0084

If the load is accurate & reliable, I wouldn't worry about a bit of soot. Pick up some once fired factory brass off the floor. You will find similar sootiness with a lot of it. Just leave it in the tumbler a bit longer.