What caliber next?

ARDogman

So let's say you have:

-A single shot .22 from probably the 60's...accurate. K-4 Weaver.
-A 10/22 with long bbl...pretty accurate. No glass.
-A converted (compliant) Saiga...not accurate, but sweet. No glass.
-A CZ 527 in .204. Coyote medicine. Stacks bullets. 4-12x40 Pentax. Pretty good for driving around and shooting stuff too. I feel like I can do anything with this rifle.
-A 700 CDL in .270, accurate with the right ammo. Conquest 3-9x40.
-Belgian .30-06 BAR. 3-9x40 Redfield Widefield.

Now...what next? Here are my considerations...and I am open to suggestions:

-A Marlin 39a. Such a sweet feeling .22. I dig .22's, and they have a rep. for accuracy. I would love it for shooting bunnies, squirrels, tin cans, whatever. My dad has one, and I fancy it on a deep level. I'm guessing that for me to procure one, I'm gonna need to buy it myself.
-A Savage/Stevens 200. I'm thinking .223 or .22-250. Backup coyote gun for when I have friends without guns, or for a rifle that I wouldn't mind painting or what not. Note that I have probably 1400 rounds of .223 ammo, but no .223.
-A 77 Hawkeye in stainless/synthetic trim, either additional .204 as a means by which to have a bad weather gun/backup to CZ/extra for buddies, or in .243, to fit right between the .204 and . 270
-A synth. stock for the CZ...from HS.

Without recommending one of these just because you have one...what makes sense for next?

Abel

30-30 lever action. You don't have one. Get one. That's a gaping hole in your collection. :D

taylorce1

Note that I have probably 1400 rounds of .223 ammo, but no .223.

Sell the ammunition and use the money to fund a reloading bench setup for your modest collection of firearms. Or get that .243 that would fit in well with what you have already. Unless you are going to start hunting elk or larger game on a regular basis you have pretty much everything covered as far as rifles go to bring home game.

The .223 or .22-250 would be nice but as long as you are happy with the .204 you don't need another dedicated varmint rifle.

jman841

.223 bolt or Semi. Fun, fairly inexpensive and you already have a ton of ammo. But the reloading idea is a great idea as well

GeauxTide

Ruger SS Compact in 243 or 260. Same case, so my vote (and my selection) goes to the 260. Shoots 95s well and 120s to 2700 in 16.5".

chris in va

I definitely think you need a levergun of some sort. I don't personally have one, but at some point I'd like to get a Henry carbine.

Thought about casing your own boolits? It's a lot of fun and very interesing.

ARDogman

BLR has heavy trigger and tough to adjust...but they're so damn pretty. I could see me with a .243 BLR... I could see me with that sweet little 39a, too...

Is there a BLR in .300winmag?

James R. Burke

A .243 would fill some gaps. If you reload there might be something special you want. Maybe something bigger in a bolt. I feel for the .22's I love them, and seems I always see one I would like. There are some nice ones out there. The Browning 22 auto is nice, and so is there lever short throw, I have them both, and a bunch of others. They are really nice rilfles. I like the lever just a nice little rifle with a good feel to it. Good luck, and hope you find what you want.

shooter_john

Your favorite flavor of bolt gun in 260 or 308. OR, an AR to help you manage that large supply of ammunition that you have on hand already.

sonick808

i'm with the levergun camp; particularly those in .30-30

You can't go wrong with a winchester model 94 or marlin 336 in .30-30. A forever addition to your collection for sure

eddy615

i have a 7mm Rem Mag and it is a really fun gun lots of powder and shoots far or i might suggest a 35 whelen very fun to shoot