What are your thoughts on the 170170 Camfour 586-LComp?

ajgranda

And its $1K or so going price for a current production? I have contacted Camfour and they have only had about 880 of these produced since 2000.

Thanks and here's the description and a few pics:

Camfour Exclusive S&W Performance Center Model 586-7 L-Comp .357 Magnum/.38 Special 7-Shot Double-Action/Single-Action Revolver, 3" matte-black steel barrel with compensator and full-length ejector-rod housing, Performance Center tuned action, Trijicon front night sight, adjustable target rear sight, matte-black steel 7-shot cylinder, matte-black steel round-butt L-frame, Altamont Rosewood checkered combat grips. Ships in S&W Performance Center hardcase with extra set of black rubber finger-groove combat grips with embossed S&W logos, grip-installation tool, (2) 7-rd. full-moon clips, fired cartridge, cable-lock, trigger-lock keys, manual, warranty and factory papers.

Attachments

• pix297819994.jpg
    pix297819994.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 216
  • pix516287857.jpg
    pix516287857.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 139
  • pix852312256.jpg
    pix852312256.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 129

Glenn E. Meyer

Not being one not to spend money on a gun - I now, ha, will be insightful. You can get a nice used model 19 for $400 or so. What does this gun do that is worth the extra money? If it is for fun not function - do it!

So what's is use?

ajgranda

Thanks for the reply. It's going to be a carry gun in colder climates. The gun has a much better trigger/action job, front night sight, forged hammer and trigger, compensator and two sets of nice grips. I will shooting 50/50 .357 and .39+P, but carrying .357 load of course. I think the action and compensator make the biggest difference with faster and more accurate followup shots, IMHO.

ripnbst

How does one use a line lock like the one shown in pic 3 on a revolver?

EDIT: just looked it up

rclock.jpg

RWK

L-Frame Smith 586s (seven rounders) are obviously excellent firearms; I suspect this Camfour special would be an outstanding handgun for your intended purpose. I have two substantial issues, however, for your consideration:
1) Cost. $1K is a lot for a fine .38 Special/.357 magnum concealed carry revolver, especially when superb new (and used) S&Ws, Rugers and Colts with very similar designs, operational attributes, quality, and so forth can easily be obtained for approximately half (or less) this price. New Ruger GP-100s are available in the $500 range, for example, and essentially they are equally well made, even more durable and relaible, and just as accurate (although, admittedly, they are six shooters).
2) Compensation. Any design that includes a compensator must lose muzzle pressure, velocity and energy as a result -- a copensator operates by bleeding pressure through ports that otherwise would provide greater muzzle velocity/energy. In a longer barreled weapon, this is not overly critical; with a three-inch barrel, however, this loss may have some potential, adverse, tactical implications. Obviously, one needs to trade this disadvantage off against the reduced recoil and the improved target reacquisition advantages provided through compensation.

8shot357

If you can afford it, go for it. I don't care what anybody says, if fact I've paid around $1100+ for my PC guns. I should have only bought one, I really don't need two 8 shot .357s.

Attachments

• Gun S&W .357 8 shot 006.jpg
    Gun S&W .357 8 shot 006.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 94

pilpens

I think it is too much money for what you will get. For that much money, you could get 2 used excellent condition 686s.
I would rather get one of the following and spend extra on other things:
1. 686 without the lock in 2.5 or 4 inch barrel only because the 3 inch no-lock models are difficult to find or too expensive.
2. If OK with the lock, a new 686.

spacecoast

I'm with Glenn, that's a lot of extra cash for a trigger job on a gun that already has a great trigger, and only gets better with time. If you are competing and/or shooting 1,000 rounds a week, then maybe it would be worth it, but not for a carry gun.

8shot357

What does the gun retail for? If it's at full retail, well, I never buy just about aything at full retail, in fact, my two PC guns retailed at $1700+, and $1400+, but I paid around $1100 OTD total for each. So I paid about $1000 less for both, than retail.

Glenn E. Meyer

Ah, what the heck - go for it. It is certainly as useful as new drapes (Don't ask). I just dropped a pretty penny for a Combat comp J frame in 327 mag as I liked it. Can't even compete with it legitimately in IDPA. I am going to shoot it off the books at a local match, though.

As long as the price isn't an obvious over price - enjoy.

18DAI

The IL disqualifies it from serious use, for me. I would not want that port on a carry gun either.

That tritium front sight is not that easy to see on my pre lock L-comp. With low flash ammo it is hard to see it while shooting.

$1000 is alot, for that gun. Regards 18DAI.

8shot357

I think the Power Port is kind of cool.

I was almost thinking about getting the J-frame 637 version Power Port. But I already have two J-frames so I really don't need it unless I sell my two J's.

ajgranda

I do also, but what RWK said about the compensator does make some sense.

"compensator must lose muzzle pressure, velocity and energy as a result -- a compensator operates by bleeding pressure through ports that otherwise would provide greater muzzle velocity/energy. In a longer barreled weapon, this is not overly critical; with a three-inch barrel, however, this loss may have some potential, adverse, tactical implications".

I've also been told it interferes with visually being able to see your front sight. At least the tritium one. :confused:

8shot357

"compensator must lose muzzle pressure, velocity and energy as a result -- a compensator operates by bleeding pressure through ports that otherwise would provide greater muzzle velocity/energy.

Not sure I buy that. How many FPSs would it lose? 25-50?

WC145

I do also, but what RWK said about the compensator does make some sense.

"compensator must lose muzzle pressure, velocity and energy as a result -- a compensator operates by bleeding pressure through ports that otherwise would provide greater muzzle velocity/energy. In a longer barreled weapon, this is not overly critical; with a three-inch barrel, however, this loss may have some potential, adverse, tactical implications".

I've also been told it interferes with visually being able to see your front sight. At least the tritium one.

You don't lose any appreciable amount of velocity as the port is at the very end of the barrel, in front of the sight. Also, it doesn't affect your ability to see the front sight. In shooting my 586 L-Comp, what I've found is that the port works for it's intended purpose - it decreases muzzle rise dramatically allowing for greater control and faster follow up shots. Shooting .38spl is like shooting a loud .22 and the hottest .357 loads recoil straight back into your hand rather than up and back. Using good quality, low flash ammo virtually eliminates the muzzle flash issue you'd expect with a ported barrel.

SDC10809.JPG

ajgranda

Hi,

Actually a new production 586-L Camfour 7 shot 170170 retails for $1310 but street price is around 1K. Lets also remember it's a PC model. I'm still on the fence. Thanks WC145 (love those grips) for your first hand response. All I know is that those who have them have nothing but positive things to say. I just wish the asking price was a bit less.

RWK

WC145 . . .

I never indicated the the compensator would cause "appreciable" velocity/energy loss (so please don't suggest that I did); it does, however, cause some reduction in pressure/energy/velocity, and in a three-inch barrel weapon that is certainly worthy of consideration.