What are you working on?

Shadow9mm

Just checking in to see how yall are doing and what your up to.

Currently I just got a new caliber 44 mag/spl, in a 20in henry lever gun. Just got 500pcs each of once fired 44mag and 44spl brass. Got them all deprimed, going through the wet tumbler now. Going to throw together a few loads tonight, to test tomorrow. Still have about 75pcs that are already prepped and ready to go.

Getting back around to 223, still got a ton of once fired to process. I resized and trimmed about 250pcs of LC last week, going to get them deburred and cut the crimp out of the primer pockets today and they will be ready to load.

Getting some of my supplies reorganized today. Got 20 of the walmart special plastic shoe boxes. Going to get everything properly labeled and updated for my current calibers. One box for range brass, one box for brass that is ready to load for each caliber.

Started powder coating lead bullets. Casting 158g WFN for 38/357, and 124g round nose for 9mm. Just got my powder and toaster oven. If things warm up a bit I will be casting and powder coating. My first small test batch is done, hoping to load them up tonight and see how they shoot in a few days.

Last edited:

reddog81

Usually my reloads are light target loads, but recently I've got an itch to try and see if I can create some fast 9mm loads with a 105 grain Lee SWC. I recently cast some pretty hard bullets and have powder coated them but haven't tossed them in the oven yet.

Vihtavouri has data with a 100 grain bullet doing 1,400 FPS and a couple 115 grain bullets doing 1,200 to 1,300 with N340. I want to see if work up something in the 1,300 FPS range to shoot accurately with my lead bullets. Guns will be a Glock 17 and CZ 75 so they should be up the the task.

bacardisteve

Fine tuning my 257wby load with 101gr barnes lrx and rl26. Weather has been terrible here lately and not conducive to further testing. They shoot great inside 400yds need to wring them out and see if claimed bc is accurate or if im better off looking for some 115gr bergers.

kilotanker22

Between work and school, I don't have much free time right now. Working on learning hand checkering right now. Pretty therapeutic, but not easy to do a good job.

hounddawg

trying to learn the finer principles of AR building and shooting. Got a bad case of Grendel fever. Putting together a new 6.5 this week and in the next couple of months planning on doing a 6 AR and a .22 Imp

Generic

I cast, powder coated and sized a few hundred Lee 102-356 bullets today. Tomorrow I’ll make a bunch of 380 rounds.

lugerstew

Last several loads, have been different for me, I have loads recorded as being good, now I am loading them, exactly the same, but loading 5 or 6 different kinds of brass, 5 to 10 rounds each,, just to see what they say is true, that you need to be extra careful, when changing brass due to internal volume and more pressure.

Shadow9mm

Last several loads, have been different for me, I have loads recorded as being good, now I am loading them, exactly the same, but loading 5 or 6 different kinds of brass, 5 to 10 rounds each,, just to see what they say is true, that you need to be extra careful, when changing brass due to internal volume and more pressure.
Ohh, interesting test!

scatterbrain

After plowing snow this morning I resumed playing with 17 pieces of WW brass that date back to the 70's, don't use them anymore, but could. Ten of the 17 are perfect on concentricity, all have been pin cleaned and annealed on an Annie. After the thread on base flatness the other day I set up my dial indicators to check that; the 10 that were perfect were flat, the seven out are .002 or more out flatness. I am using a Redding body die, and Lee collet die for sizing. After resizing they were the same. So then I sized six bullets and set with a Forster Bench Rest die. Three of the perfect cases and three of the not so perfect cases. Results, two of the prefect case loaded to zero run out, one out about .002. Two of the not so perfect were out more than .002 and one was perfect. Does it make a difference?

hounddawg

also interested to see what you get in real life. When working up a load now I always model it in QL, and GRT and input case volume. It can make a substantial difference, at least in the models

Nick_C_S

Right now, I (as in my wife and I) am waiting for our new home to be built in Idaho. It was supposed to be completed about two months ago, but due to the Brandon supply chain and labor shortages . . . So I'm not in ammo production at all. Nor am I shooting. My guns are stored in a family member's safe for now.

If we ever get up there, the load bench will get eventually get set up in the garage. I have a lot of "set" loads for pistol and there's not much need for experimentation there.

But I will likely get back to working on .223 Rem for my AR-15's. When California's "assault weapons" law went into effect, I chose not to register my AR-15's as such. Instead, I dismantled them. Once in Idaho, I will reassemble them and get back to work on the ammo for them. I was mostly completed, but needed more extensive shooting with my ammo to see of any problems crop up. I'm not a rifle guy, so it was all kind of new to me - still is.

jpx2rk

Been "re-tuning" a load I've had loaded from my'18 pdog trip to SD. I was in such a hurry to get accurate ammo loaded that I didn't take the time to check it at 200y, just 100. The original load was a .5 5 shot group at 100y, but opened up to over 2 inches at 200. I have 500 rounds loaded, so I just have to adjust the seating depth down (got lucky there) to get these rounds to shoot accurate out to 200 yds.

Also working on finalizing the loads for my 20 Practical and tuning those to shoot with the silencer on the gun.