What are you loading up in 45 Colt?

Xfire68

Getting a Judge soon (Next Tuesday) and was wondering what you all are loading up in your 45 Colts???

I already have some factory self defense loads so mostly what I am looking for is target loads but, throw in you self defense recipes as well!:cool:

I am going out on a limb here, but I would say that most reloaders do not load their own self defense ammunition. Some people say that if in a situtation where deadly force was required, you leave yourself open to a lawsuit for making the ammunition "more deadly." (You seem to already understand this). This is what I have heard...is it true...not 100% sure. Do I use factory rounds for self defense...yes. I stick to reloading just my plinking and hunting rounds. As far as loads...well I load 45 colt for a T/C Encore (454 Casull) and use the hotter loads not recommended for the judge, so I can't help you much there. I am a recoil junkie! :D Good luck!

Xfire68

I do understand about the liability issues with loading my own SD ammo but, they always find something else to look into even if I had factory loads in my gun in a lethal force situation.

Do I think it's good idea to use factory in this case sure but, I manly use what I shoot for target shooting for SD as well. Yes I shoot JHP's at paper! LOL:eek: I have tried and in some cases like some of the plated rounds but, they don't work "great" in all of the guns I load for.

This Judge is a 1st revolver that I am loading for so I am just looking to get an idea of what others are using in the "Long Colt". Yes I know there is "no" short Colt! :p

Dr. A

The 45 Colt is my favorite. I've given up my Smith and Wesson 25-5 so that I don't confuse my non plinker 45 Colt ammo with the plinker stuff. A 45 Judge is something I suppose will be written up a little more in the future because of their incredible popularity. Even so, I don't imagine it will be a top plinker because of its general use. I like shooting in volume, so I rarely will ever use a JHP. 250gr. or 255gr. SWC is what I use for most of my plinking.

8gr. of Unique
6.2 of Titegroup
5.5 of Trailboss
7gr. of 231
10gr. of HS-6
9gr. of Power Pistol
9gr. of Herco

These are just places to start. I plink with higher velocity/bullet/pressure combinations for hunting practice, but these will definitely get you where you want to go. Try these out with your JHP, or save money and use a mass produced cast bullet. They are plenty accurate enough, and will increase your practice because of cost.

wdphillips

In my .45 Long Colt pistols and rifles I like 5g of Trailboss with a 250g LRN cast bullet. For practice and reloading I find Trailboss a great mild powder that fills up the brass. I also use Trailboss in my 44 Mag, 30-30, and 45-70.

zxcvbob

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information

My favorite load is 7.5 grains of Promo with a 230 grain truncated cone bullet that I cast using a Lee mold. This is pretty hot; about a 20000 psi load. I think it should be safe in any well made postwar gun. This is the load that I make up by the hundreds and always keep a bucketful on hand.

Some of my favorite "Ruger Only" loads are 16.5 grains of Blue Dot or 12.2 grains of Herco or 20-something (upper twenties) grains of 296 with 255 grain SWC bullets. But I don't shoot too many of those at a time or I'll start flinching.

Blackpowder is fun too, but I don't know that I'd want to clean a double-action revolver after shooting BP.

1911rocks

45LC Loads

I shoot a Colt Anaconda, Ruger 4 5/8" BlackHawk

255gr Keith Style cast SWC, 9.2gr Unique. I always keep some jacketed loaded to "blow out the lead" after I'm done with cast.

FlyFish

In my .45 Long Colt pistols and rifles I like 5g of Trailboss with a 250g LRN cast bullet.

That's the recipe that I load up by the hundreds for my Cowboy Action Shooting, as do many others.

ljnowell

Target load is 6.5gr AA#2 under a 255gr LSWC from Missouri Bullets. My Ruger olnly load of choice is a 300gr LTC(MoBullets again) over 18.5gr 2400. This is very hot. Do not shoot it in your judge.

orionengnr

I find the .45LC to be a great handloader's round.

I have found the following loads in different manuals/manufacturer's websites, and have used the "low end" of all except for the 225 gr load (I didn't have any 225 gr lead bullets).

I am far from an expert, but they appear more substantial than "Cowboy Action" loads, but nowhere near "nuclear" loads. They seem very reasonable to me. Can't speak to the upper end of any of them, yet. I use an S&W M-25, for what it's worth.

200 gr SWC, 7.3 gr 231 (8.3 gr max)
225 gr SWC, 6.5 gr 231 (7.2 gr max)
250 gr SWC, 7.2 gr 231 (8.0 gr max)
250 gr SWC, 6.5 gr Green Dot (9.4 gr max)
255 gr SWC, 6.1 gr 231 (7.0 gr max)

markr

Quote:
I always keep some jacketed loaded to "blow out the lead" after I'm done with cast.

Not a good idea. This can cause excessive pressure.

I second that. That's bad mojo. Never shoot jacketed after lead cast until you clean the barrel.

WESHOOT2

uh-oh, now what

For the last 34 years I've not followed the 'mojo' rule. I don't advise anyone to do what I do.
But I still do it.
Lots.

markr

I'm sure there are exceptions. I do know that it is failry well established that one should not do it. I myself have experienced stuck cases before, shooting lead before jacketed. At the time, i didn't know that I was ramping up pressures by doing so.

Slamfire

Quote:
I always keep some jacketed loaded to "blow out the lead" after I'm done with cast.

Not a good idea. This can cause excessive pressure

Never happened to me.

I do this each time I come back from the range. It is quicker to use jacketed bullets than trying to scrub out the lead with a cleaning rod.

Pistol calibers with which I "blow out the lead": 32 S&W Long, 9mm, 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 44 Spl, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 AR, 45 LC.

No problems to date.

Xfire68

Seeing I have only shot jacketed bullets and never alloy/lead rounds. What do you guys use to clean the barrel after shooting lead bullets?

I told my friend that it would be easier to maintain his Judge if he used jacketed bullets as I have heard it can be a bit of work to get the led out?

Edward429451

It's not that bad...But if the bullets are sized correctly to the bore and the hardness is appropriate for the velocity then there wont be much if any leading. You're supposed to slug your barrel and size .001 to .002 over nominal for lead.

What lead I do get sometimes I either use a bronze brush and usually a few strands of chore boy wrapped around it too. That's just as good as a lead remover kit. If you get lucky and get a perfect size jag when mated with a particular thickness patch, it will strip lead right out.

Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information

I have at least (3) 45 Colt guns:

Uberti Cattleman
Ruger Blackhawk
Win 94 trapper

I have been shooting 250 gr XTP 24 gr H110, ~ 22,000 psi, in all three.
It does 1536 fps from the 16.25" barrel of the Trapper.
It does 1220 fps from the 6.25" combined length of the Cattleman's cylinder and barrel.

In the future I think I will increase the powder charge in the trapper, because with it's big recoil pad, it can handle it.
In the future I think I will reduce the powder change in the Cattleman, to reduce recoil.
In the future I think I will grind down some of the sharp edges of the Blackhawk that cut into my hand in the one round I have fired through that revolver in the 5 years I have owned it.

I have done reduced loads of H110, and it REALLY does require a good roll crimp or squid fires may occur. That can put a bullet into the forcing cone and really jam the revolver.