what are those lumps?

Rifleman1776

On TV hunting shows I sometimes see a round "lump" on the barrels of the rifles being used by the hunters. They are at different places on different barrels.
What are they?
I am guessing they are some kind of weight for reducing harmonic vibrations and improve accuracy. If so, do they work?

Slamfire

I don't watch hunting shows, which I suspect are simply venues for product placement, however it is common to see weights on the barrels of precision 22Lr rifles.

This rifle, used by Charles Kemp, to win the Small Bore Prone National Championship at 2010 Camp Perry, has a "tuner". From what I saw you could expand or contract the device to passively compensate for barrel vibrations.

Mr. Kemp told my his rifle will shoot consistent 10 shot groups of .39" at 100 yards.

I fail to understand why "hunters" need tuners because people don't hold half MOA in hunting situations. Unless you are hunting using a 300 lb bench with 90 pounds of sandbags and an adjustable rest.

Industry advertizing is always promoting the idea that you can compensate for poor shooting skills by purchasing expensive equipment.

The squirrel that buys the nut, but does not have the teeth to chew, is a foolish rodent.

DSCF1149CharlesKempM52D.jpg

Rifleman1776

Slamfire, thanks for reply.
If they were trying to sell those "lumps", I'm sure someone would explain what they are.
Most of us like the best accuracy possible. Even when an elephant is charging and the hunter is peeing in his pants while trying to line up for that walnut sized brain shot kill.

Slamfire

Even when an elephant is charging and the hunter is peeing in his pants while trying to line up for that walnut sized brain shot kill.

Well I do have a 375 H&H. Though I have tried to get one, those darn Alabama Bull elephants just tippy toe away when I am in the woods looking for them.

If you could tell me a good spot in Arkansas to get a tusker or two, I will be out there shortly.

nathaniel

Is the idea to improve accuracy? Do they work?

Yes they claim that its to improve accuracy. Do they work? Everyone Ive talked to says they help the rifle shoot about 1/4" better. But these are all guns that have already shot 1" at 100 yards. They also said that it is more of a pain in the rear to try to get them set in the right place to acheave the desired results. But then again this is all stuff Ive heard from others I have no personal experiance with them.

wingman

They do work on some rifles, I had one on a Savage 93-17 it did make a slight improvement, also tried on a 223 could not see an improvement.

Trial and error as to position on barrel depending on finish of barrel easier to move on some. You will receive many questions at the range,(hey man you have a hornets nest on your barrel) etc.

I think for about $19 it worth a try depending on rifle and what you use it for.

Scorch

Well I do have a 375 H&H. Though I have tried to get one, those darn Alabama Bull elephants just tippy toe away when I am in the woods looking for them.
Well, Slamfire, you have to understand the advice given by experts. When hunting elephants in Alabama, remember this:
"In the African elephant, the tusks are firmly rooted. In Alabama, the Tuskaloosa."
- Julius H "Groucho" Marx

Sorry, I have been waiting for yearsfor the opportunity to quote Groucho Marx!!!:D

BTW, hunters who carry heavy rifles often carry them over their shoulder held by the barrel. To keep a firm grip on the barrel with sweaty hands and avoid ruining the metal finish, they often wrap the barrels with cloth or a leather pad.

twobit

and the magnetic models give you a 20% increase in MPG plus a 5% increase in HP.....:rolleyes:......wait! I'm thinking about fuel magnets:eek:

PawPaw

I use one on my hunting rifle, about 3" from the muzzle. In fact, the group size showed the most promise out on the end of the tube. That particular rifle, a Savage 110 in .30-06 was showing three round groups of 0.770 before I put the deresenator on, and just over 0.500 with it installed.

It sure is ugly, but I've found t he best use for the thing is as a muzzle protector. I'm tough on rifles and I'm liable to lean it against something such as a pickup truck or a tree, or the side of a camp building. That soft rubber is sticky and it keeps the muzzle of the rifle stuck to whatever I lean it against. I haven't dropped the rifle since I put that gizmo on the end of it.

It sure is ugly, though.

Slamfire

Well, Slamfire, you have to understand the advice given by experts. When hunting elephants in Alabama, remember this:
"In the African elephant, the tusks are firmly rooted. In Alabama, the Tuskaloosa."
- Julius H "Groucho" Marx

Sorry, I have been waiting for yearsfor the opportunity to quote Groucho Marx!!!

Ugh! :D