What are the three most common calibers for brown bear?

PJR

Big

Bigger

Biggest

Haven't done it myself but a friend who has says the minimum he'd recommend is a .338 Win Mag. He went with a .375 H&H.

k77/22rp

I dont really know the most common but three good ones would be 338 win mag .340Wby Mag and 338 rem Ultra mag. I dont really think that 338 is a a bare minimum, I think i would consider a 200 gr .30 caliber bullet to be a bare minimum but shot placement is key. I will admit I wouldnt want to hunt brown bear with .30 caliber but if you can shoot it then use it, you dont want a gun that you cant shoot because your too afraid of the recoil.

For the biggest of bears i would want .375 H&H or .416 rigby.

Steve Smith

K77/22rp, what you said, "For the biggest of bears i would want .375 H&H or .416 rigby" really makes me wonder about something...

-Disclaimer, I know nothing about this big dangerous bear stuff-

What if you chose, say a .338 WM, but then ran across a "biggest of bears?" Would you, A) not engage, B) Engage and hope you kill him before he kills you, or C) wish you'd brought the .416 rigby?

From my layman point of view, I'd want to have the biggest I might need, rather than hoping I didn't run into a "biggest" of them!

taco

Many years ago several friends and I spent 2 weeks kayaking in Alaska and we took Marlin 1894 in 45-70, Remington 870 with 20" barrel loaded with slugs and a Winchester 70 in 30-06. I don't know if they were "ideal" but thats what we had. Fortunately we never had to shoot anything.

treeprof

From my time living and working in AK and what I know from the various bear hunts my father and his buddies have gone on to Kodiak Is. and the AK peninsula, I'd say that .300 WM, .338 WM and .375 H&H are all quite common. Lots of other stuff finds its way as well, from .30-06 on up.

Bob Locke

I'd say as a minimum a .30-06 with 200-gr. bullets would be the smallest that I'd even consider. The .338 Win. mag. would be where I would realistically start, and a .375 H&H or .416 Rigby would make me feel a LOT better.

Zorro

If you even have to think about it you need more gun!

For the Kodiak Brown Bear go .458 Winchester Magnum!

It IS one of the worlds largest predators and plenty dangerous!

If there is ever a reason to carry a .458 Win Mag in North America the Polar and Kodiak Bears are it!

Use the big magnums on big bears!

Good Guy

I remember reading of a "close encounter" with a brownie written up in Outdoor Life back in the '60s. Seems the fella stumbled into a big bear with bad intentions at about 15-20 feet distance. He was armed with the little Browning 22 autoloading rifle. Seeing no alternatives, he shot the bruin smack-dab in the center of the nose with the little gun. The big bear let out a big cry and headed for the hills. Cool heads will always prevail.

Last time I saw a poll, the 338 WinMag was the most prevalent rifle in AK where large bear are concerned. 'Course I wouldn't feel naked :eek: with a heavy handloaded Marlin 1895 in 45-70 or a 12 guage pump loaded appropriately either.

Warm Bore

Ok, great suggestions.

Now, what would you suggest for casual <gulp> hiking? I mean your strolling along with your wife, enjoying the views and there, 50 yards in front of you is big 'ol brownie crossing the path. You look at him. He looks at you. Although a big steel tank would be nice right about now, what would you choose for a trail gun/caliber?

Oh yeah, and just what is an appropriate 12ga. load for a brownie?

Thanks again,

Warm Bore

Bowser

My two cents:

If you are hunting bear, use the biggest rifle you can shoot accurately at 200 yards. Don't let the bear see you, and the situation is a lot less dangerous. For this, I would use a .375 H&H.

For up close and personal, or for tracking a wounded bear - use a .416 Rigby.

Casual hiking in bear territory, a 12 gauge pump action with 3 inch slugs. Aim for the heart/lungs, or if your really good, the tip of the nose (if he is facing you). Practise by dumping all the slugs in your gun as fast as you can, ensuring that you can hit the target at 7 yards. Do not expect to stop a charging bear with one or two shots.

A guide I know who leads hunts in Alaska carries a .416 Rigby after he witnessed a customer failing to stop a bear with 6 hits from a .375 (all in the chest).

Also, bring a dog or two if you can.

Bowser.

Cosmoline

HUNTING OR PROTECTION?

There's a big difference. For protection, you need something you can bring up, aim and fire *very* fast, and that can smash through the business end of a bear at 30 yards or less. Most people simply cannot bring a scoped bolt action hunting rifle into play that quickly. An iron-sighted lever action such as the 1895G with powerhouse .45/70's, or a slug gun would be good choices. Or simply go unarmed and keep your wits about you. There's something to be said for that choice, frankly, esp. if you're just hiking around established trails. Listen, smell, and watch for sign and you'll be fine. Where are you going? The bears can be very different from region to region.

For hunting, you're going to be shooting at the critical spots on the broadside, so you could do with less bone-bashing power, but will probably want something with a much flatter trajectory and longer range. The old .30'06 is still hard to beat, as are the other suggestions here. If you know where to aim, you could even get away with a .30-30. Hell, I was just reading about how members of the Karluk expedition before WWI dropped monster polar bears with old Winchester '94's (though I'm not going to try it).

Keith Rogan

Unquestionably, the most popular round here on Kodiak is the .338. after that, at least among locals is probably the .300 Win Mag loaded with heavies (you can only shoot a browny every 4 years and it's hard for some to justify buying a rifle just for one hunt). The .375 is also right up there near the top.

If you're going to buy a rifle for brown bears, the .375 would be my choice. It's actually less punishing to shoot than a .338 and with lighter rounds makes a good medium range rifle for antlered critters.

And as someone pointed out quite rightly, if you are not actually HUNTING brown bears but just want something to carry as protection, then get a Guide Gun in .45/70.

k77/22rp

What if you chose, say a .338 WM, but then ran across a "biggest of bears?" Would you, A) not engage, B) Engage and hope you kill him before he kills you, or C) wish you'd brought the .416 rigby?
Steve, good question I guess i didnt really fully think out my answer let me re-phrase it, If i knew what kind of hunting i would be doing (from a-far or up close and personal) then that would alter my decision on which gun to take.
I guess what I meant by the bigger the bears is how close you are to them...:D
sorry for the confusion

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
For DEFENSE, I would be fine carrying a Marlin .45-70, or a good 12 gauge, loaded with Brenneke slugs.

For hunting, I would think a 9.3x62mm repeater would be just about perfect. Since I don't have a 9.3x62, x64mm, or x74mm, I'd probably take my .35 Whelen.

mussi

In Slovenia, supposedly 8x67 is the minimum to be allowed to hunt a
bear. However, the guides have been known to carry more in the way of
an anti-bear weapon than that.

They don't allow pistols except for the mercy shot, since 'it just
annoys the bears'.

EIGHTYDUECE

all you need is a .300 WM, .338 Wm, or a .375 HH mag.

Mainland coastal brownies are huge and every year ppl bag them with bows in the Kenai.

The most common cartridge found in alaska is the .375 HH mag and the .338 wm as close second