What are the legal requirements to sell a gun ?

horatioo

I just bought a 22, for a good price. I thought when buying it that if I changed my mind I could always sell it. Are there any reporting requirements to sell it to an individual?

Thanks

lipadj46

If you sell it face to face and you both live in the same state, nothing. If you sell to someone out of state it need to be sent to a FFL and transferred to the person. It is actually quite hassle free as a seller.

chris in va

If you sell it face to face and you both live in the same state, nothing.

Actually, depends on what state horatioo lives in. Not true of all states.

We need to know where you live first.

horatioo

I live in Missouri.

Another question though.

If I think the economy is going to be 'who knows what' and I think a gun is a good investment, how would that work?

I want to buy a Glock 19 for ~$500. Should I factor in that private gun sales might be restricted in the future? Can you foresee a possibility that I would take a big loss on selling the gun?

I have been reading a money forum and a survivalism forum, and the pessimism is affecting me.

Thanks for any advice.

vranasaurus

Most guns are not good investments. They may be worth what you paid for it some time in the future but they will almost certainly not grow in value to match inflation. My advice is to stop thinking that a gun, short of some rare collectors item, is a good investment.

Even if private sales are restricted you could still sell the gun through a dealer.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
First do some price browsing, for both the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) and then the various online prices that distributors ask. After that, check some of the firearms auction sites to see what's being asked or paid for good-used firearms.

Our own marketplace at this website can offer information about used items.

Generally, there is little loss in a later sale of a firearm which was bought at a fair price and not damaged or allowed to rust.

Lots of online info, from such as Google as to URLs. And your state laws are also online. The federal regulations of BATFE are stickied in the Legal forum at http://thehighroad.ord, if you want to read them.

DanThaMan

Contrary to what others have said, a gun is one of the best investments you can ever make... as it might save your life some day which is worth more than all the money in the world. Sure that sounds cheesy but don't not buy a quality gun because you suspect you will never have to use one. Hope for the best (we live through Obama's rain) but plan for the worst (SHTF).

vranasaurus

I think his question was about an investment in the sense of purchasing a firearm and selling it later for more money.

Is a gun a good thing to have on hand? Certainly but they are not investments.

horatioo

I think his question was about an investment in the sense of purchasing a firearm and selling it later for more money.

No it was more along the lines of can I buy a gun and if I have to sell it can I reasonably expect not to lose money?

Thanks for any help.

91slicktop

When I bought my AR 15 from my friend I simply just drew up a bill of sale with the date, cost, serial 3# with signatures and a witness.

Stevie-Ray

Most of my firearms are now worth more than I paid for them. Very few are not. I wish all of my investments were as good.

JKHolman

Horatioo,
years ago, I started collecting firearms (to include blackpowder). My wife and I decided to make a major change in our lives and part of the plan was to sell my collection, saving the Chinese TT-33 and the bolt action shotgun. Years later, I began collecting again. My wife had no problem because we both understood that if we needed money I could always sell some of them. Recently I thinned out my collection to those that are collectable and those that I will regularly use. I was not hurting for money at the time, but it did help to put things in perspective. While I did not make a big return, I came out okay (I was not going to gouge people because of the "fever"). I tended to look at those sold pieces as worthwhile "rentals". Now I am looking to call a fellow in Williamsburg on a semi-auto rifle that will suit me just fine (7.92mm). Firearms are not good investments in the strictest dollar sense. They are like ponderous dinosaurs moping about the steppes. But when looked at for their practicality of home defense, and that they are instruments that are very well made that can provide hours of pleasure on and off the range, their esteem goes up. Add to that the look on your grandson's or granddaughter's face when you pass it on as a family hierloom. Now they become priceless. Many a thread on these forums that ask, "what firearm will you depart with last?" is covered with, "...the .22 squirrel rifle my granddaddy left me..." There are some persons on these forums that have firearms they will sell for no amount of money. That is when these things become treasures. It is an American anthem.

- JKHolman

carguychris

Here's how I would answer the question.

Most new guns are not good investments. Like cars, they immediately drop in value the first time you use them. Some guns will eventually climb in value, but it usually takes decades to exceed their original value adjusted for inflation, and for many guns this may never occur.

On the other hand, many used guns are great invesments because they're already close to the bottom of the depreciation curve. Some guns will never be worth less than they are today. The trick is to buy the right one! ;)

The bad news is that most common inexpensive .22LR rifles (I assume it's a rifle because of where you posted this question) will never be serious collectibles because they've been sold in huge numbers. OTOH some are better than others. For instance, Ruger 10/22s hold their value really well because so many people modify them that there's a constant demand for serviceable receivers.
I want to buy a Glock 19 for ~$500. Should I factor in that private gun sales might be restricted in the future? Can you foresee a possibility that I would take a big loss on selling the gun?
Restrictions on private sales would probably make semi-auto prices go up before the restrictions take effect. OTOH prices may go down because so many people have stocked up on hi-cap 9mm's under the assumption that restrictions are coming. If nothing happens within a few months, some of these people will probably decide that they need money more than they need 4 spare Glocks, and may be looking to dump one of them. :rolleyes: Who knows?

I'll say this. If you're not sure you really want that 9mm, and you're only looking to buy it primarily because you're concerned it will be banned later, IMHO you should look at something less expensive. IMHO the best deals on today's market in mainstream Western calibers are a new Ruger P-series, a new S&W Sigma, or a used metal-frame S&W (the ones with numerical model numbers like the 469, 910, and 5906, not the new polymer M&P series, which are nice guns but are priced similar to Glocks).