What are the effects of a stronger recoil spring?

Rich Miranda

I ordered a Wolff recoil spring to replace the one in my Ruger P89. The reason I did so was because compared to my other P89 (I have two), this one's slide would move more slowly, take longer to cycle, and occasionally "bottom out" during cycling.

I was almost certain the spring was not worn out as the gun looks excellent and shows no other obvious wear (though I suppose the recoil spring would be the first item to wear out, right?). And I have no way to tell if the spring was stock or not. The only other thing I could imagine was that the spring had been swapped out to a lower-power (weaker) spring at some point. I bought the gun used so anything is a possibility.

Anyhoo, the Wolff spring I bought is a 12-lb. "Extra-Power" version. I installed it today at the range. I tried shooting the gun both before and after the install, so that I could really get a good gauge for the difference. The difference is significant: recoil seems much reduced, as does muzzle flip. The gun feels like it cycles faster, making for faster follow-up shots. Even accuracy seems to have improved, though the gun was decently accurate before. The gun ran through about 100 WWB with no hiccups, so I'm guessing reliability is unaffected (this is a range gun, not an HD or CCW gun).

My question is: are my impressions accurate? Does a better recoil spring really improve all of the items I mentioned?

N.H. Yankee

yes it can, I read an article a few years back and they tested numerous factory recoil springs from various guns and found quite a few were many pounds off! they recommended replacement with a wolff spring as they were more consistent. I try to stick to the factory rating if shooting standard velocity ammo. If the spring is too stiff or too weak it can also cause premature wear on the weapon. I think if you stay within 2 lbs you should be OK and it sounds like the gun really needed the new spring.