What are the chokes of these barrels?

Waterengineer

I am looking at a single trap that comes with two barrels. They are obviously two single fixed barrels.

One barrel is 0.695 and the other is 0.685.

What are these chokes?

Is this what I am looking for in a trap gun?

What does the barrel fit. Has the barrel ever been worked on. Why I say that is the trap barrels that fit the 870 and 1100 is a big thing in what we do. They like to play with the trap guns because the barrels are longer alot of the times. They will work on all of them and if they dont work they sale them. They work good in the stock barrel shoot. You will see guys back bore them to make a bigger take down. With the fixed choke guns you can fine tune the bore to get it to shoot the way you want it to.

The big thing is that you see alot of them that have been worked on and are junk. I have one that someone sent in and the bore is so bad that we can not clean it up. Just keep you eyes open.

Waterengineer

Custom:

These barrels are for a factory barrels for a Franchi two barrel trap set up. Each barrel is 34-inch with the difference being the chokes reported in my original post.

Thanks.

zippy13

Waterengineer
You've fallen into a common misunderstanding: you can't identify a choke by one dimension. A choke is determined by the amount of constriction and not all 12-gauges have the same bore diameter. Consequently, you need to measure both ends to determine the difference.
With your Franchi two barrel trap set up, you're assuming they both have the same bore. I have a 1100 trap gun with 2 Remington barrels -- one's a factory overbore and the other is standard. Each barrel has its own set of screw-in chokes.

Italian guns have their fixed chokes identified by a series of asterisks. Check out this link, it tells all (okay, perhaps not all, but a lot).

Last edited:

oneounceload

IF your barrels are at 725, then it would appear you have approximately I/M and a F - if they are using single digits numbers, Italian guns usually are in .004 increments - i.e. a "5" would equal .020 or American Modified as an example

WIN71

Which makes sense

IF your barrels are at 725, then it would appear you have approximately I/M and a F
Lots of dedicated trap shooters use a more open choke for 16 yd. and tighten up back towards 27 yards.
Those like myself without the where with all to buy high dollar multi barrel guns could get by with a citori o/u mod. and full to include doubles.