What are my options?

Victor Romen

Sorry this is so long, but I’m sure the people here can provide a lot of help and ideas.

I attend small private university in the Southwest and was presented with a problem a few weeks ago. I do not live on campus for the reason that I own firearms (not allowed on campus).

I am looking into buying a new rifle and found a deal on some magazines for it and bought them. They were delivered (UPS) with no problems and I was happy. Seeing as it was such a good deal and it couldn’t hurt to have more of a good thing I ordered another batch. This is where the problem started. I had the magazines shipped (UPS again) to my school since it’s my billing address as well. On the day that I expected the magazines to arrive I instead got a letter from security that I had broken school policy. The school has a no firearms policy, but the last time I checked a magazine is not a firearm and no law (state or federal) prevented me from owning them. I went to security and they told me they had gotten a package, that it had been damaged, saw the contents and had become “concerned.” I answered some questions, they did a write up and I went on my way.

I felt the way they handled the situation was out of line since their job isn’t customer service and if they wanted to know what was in the box they should have asked me to open it for them damage or no damage. When I got the package it did not look damaged or opened. I opened the package and checked the contents in front of a security officer to make sure all was there (all was, no problems there).

A few days later I returned to security to tell them my concerns about how they handled the situation. I felt that they received the package, saw the return address and then called the company to check on the contents. Chief of security reassured me that the box was open because he himself had handled one. I was shocked at this. He then handed me the following letter:

To: xxx xxxx

On this day we received a package from UPS for a student xxx xxxx. There was a rattle coming from the package as I was handling it. I noticed it came from xxx xxx xxx. I then proceeded to open the package and found rifle magazines. I notified xxx xxxx, and turned the package over to him.

xxx xxxx
(Signature)
xxxxxx, Material Management

I pointed out to the security officer that nowhere in the letter did they say something was broken or that they thought something was broken. I also asked why someone from Material Management would have anything to do with opening private property. I then left, but returned later to make copies of the full report for my records. When I asked for the report the security officer handed me three sheets of paper: the original letter about breaking school policy, the above letter, as well as an original packing slip from my package! This really irked me. I informed him that I would be taking the original packing slip, but would supply him with a copy.

So what are my options here? What laws do UPS packages fall under? Do they have any right to do what they did regarding the package as well as the removal of the packing slip? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Victor Romen

They could be in a world of hurt by opening a package from a common carrier without a warrant.

Illegal search, primarily.

I suggest you file a report with UPS, see what they have to say, and see about filing a report with the local police in which the college is located.

Depending on the status that college security has, you could make life pretty tough on them if you really wanted to push it.

------------------
Smith & Wesson is dead to me.

If you want a Smith & Wesson, buy USED!