What AR parts to hold as spares in case not available?

Pistoler0

I am new to the AR platform, I just got myself one in 7.62x39 which I haven't even shot yet. I want to install an "enhanced" firing pin and extractor spring before shooting it with cheap berdan primer ammo.

Which brings me to the following question:

Suppose some sort of AR law is passed, restricting sale of AR and their parts, but with grand fathering of the rifles already owned by the public. Then which parts do you think are a must to have a spares for wear and tear?

I know that ideally having a spare for every part would be best, but what I am trying to ask is:
which parts of the AR are "consumables"?

Last edited:

odugrad

Enough to build a second rifle, ideally.

Spare bolts (at least 2), complete BCG if you can swing it.

A couple lower parts kits.

A few sets of gas rings

Some spare gas tubes

A few buffer springs and buffers

Some extractor springs.

Firing pin retaining pins, cam pins

You can never have enough but that should be a good start.

jonnyc

You probably won't ever need anything, but gas rings and extractor springs are probably the most "consumable" items on an AR. You might also want to have a couple of firing-pin retaining clips around......just in case.

TruthTellers

All manner of springs including the buffer spring, firing pins, extractors/ejectors, and the bolt. You never know if a round you fire might have been a double charge and it cracks the bolt or shears the lugs off.

HWS

Springs. The more springs the better. Gas rings for sure. The idea of a second AR is not a bad one.

STORM2

In most cases I see folks shopping/searching/needing small parts that did not wear out but were lost/went flying or were damaged during disassemble/re-assembly. If it is springy/bendable/very small or designed for one time use, stock it. Roll pins, small drive/taper pins will stop a project. When a pin of any type is removed, verify the kind, direction of removal/replacement. Bag/tag it and locate your backup/s. Identify the proper punch or tool to remove/reinstall any/all parts. Every time you strike almost any pin, that pin is changing dimensions. If and as soon as possible and you know you do not have a spare, take measurements. You might be forced to create/fabricate your part. If you need to cut a pin from stock, guess what? Your Dremel is finally a proper tool....but put it away after the pin is cut and shaped. Dremel days are rare on a gun bench.

Metal god

Gas rings , Extractor and spring , all the detents and springs . I learned I should keep a few buffer retainers as spares . I launched one somewhere never to be seen again the other day . Thank god I had bought several repair type kits years ago and have a few on hand .

Complete bolts are a must IMHO , couple firing pins , pretty much all the pins and do-hickies on a BCG you should have spares of . extra mil-spec fire control group .

So in short , yeah enough to build another rifle with a few extra parts lol

rickyrick

I have almost a spare everything except stripped receivers, some items multiple spares. Most of this was not intentional, except spare 6.8 bolts, that was intentional.

I figure I might loose a small part before I actually break something. Besides, I have spare rifles that can be used, or even cannibalized if needed.

I’ve had very few problems with firearms, aside from small adjustments or assembly mistake made by myself.

As the old joke goes, spare AR parts turn into complete ARs.

Since things like BCGs can sometimes be the most expensive component in an AR, those always grow into new uppers... this was especially true in the recent past when barrels were cheap.

jetinteriorguy

All manner of springs including the buffer spring, firing pins, extractors/ejectors, and the bolt. You never know if a round you fire might have been a double charge and it cracks the bolt or shears the lugs off.
I’d like to know how in the world you can double charge a rifle cartridge?

MarkCO

After several hundred thousand rounds through ARs, I have only ever replaced gas rings and broken one bolt. Shot out several barrels though.

I keep several parts on hand, but a spare CH and bolt in the gun bag, which have both been loaned out several times.

stagpanther

Hmmm--I'll put down what I have routinely lost/destroyed as what I find most useful to keep spares of:

1. Complete LPK's (minus the trigger group if you usually add your own).
2. complete selection of roll pins and springs to cover any of the ones you might need (fortunately many of these may be available at the local hardware store if you're in a pinch.
3. any part that you might inadvertently launch as a projectile and have difficulty finding.
4 Crush washers for muzzle devices and shims if necessary to time handguards to receivers.
5. Case of good beer in the event your entire build project is being held up by missing any of 1-4.

TruthTellers

I’d like to know how in the world you can double charge a rifle cartridge?
Was talking factory ammo and a double charge is just an example of a situation where you might get a round that's way over pressure. Could be bullet setback or a weak case that blows. Something that could damage the bolt during firing.