What ammo is safe?

barryhud

I bought my wife a SW 38 special, blue, Body Guard, about 20 years ago. I bought some Corbon 38 spl+p lately and now don't know if it is a safe load. The more I read, the more confused I get. The number on the butt is ANP19XX
Is this a model 36 and not safe for +p loads?

45_Shooter

Bodyguard denotes a concealed hammer, model 38, 49, 638, 649. The model number is indicated on the frame under the cylinder crane (part that supports the cylinder, so open the cylinder and you should see it.)

+P rated guns didn't come out till the mid 90's, so your gun is not +P rated. I don't worry too much about whether they are or aren't; I've got a Chiefs Special from 1961 that is somewhat valuable and desirable, and yet sees a steady diet of +P ammo with no ill effect.

Basically, in order to put enough +P through a gun in order to hurt it you'll need to fire thousands of rounds of the stuff, and your hand will probably give out first. However, it will live longer with primarily standard loads. Steel frame guns such as the 49 and 649 will probably not see enough rounds, +P or not, to wear them out. Aluminum is more likely to get shot loose, but like I said it takes a lot of rounds to do so, probably more than most can stand to shoot out of them.

barryhud

45 shooter, thanks for your reply. That info is what my old shooting buddy told me, nice to see he is right once in awhile, he he. I will leave it loaded with the Corbon.

Creature

I have a Model 36 that when I asked S&W, they emphatically advised me NOT to shot +P ammunition through it. They recommended only standard pressure ammo. Not only will +P ruin the timing and lockup, but my older j-frame could potentially rupture.

Keltyke

Practice with standard loads. Fire a cylinder of +p each time you go to the range just to stay in touch with the louder BANG and greater recoil.

45_Shooter

Not only will +P ruin the timing and lockup, but the older j-frame could potentially rupture

Most ammo has been downloaded in the past 20 years as more accurate pressure measurements and specifications became available. Much of the older ammo that was standard pressure duty ammo with the old 'copper crusher' method is considered +p today. Manufacturers took this into account when building the guns, and so most of the older weapons are just fine with +p as it is really what they were designed to handle.

In no serviceable weapon will the gun 'rupture' from the use of +P ammo. +P+ is a whole different story (maybe that's what they were referring to) as there's no SAAMI presure specifications for it and it was designed for use in .357 mags only as a way for law enforcement to avoid using 'magnum ammo'.

Ruining the timing and lockup is also unlikely, although heavier ammo will always increase wear to a certain degree.

Creature

In no serviceable weapon will the gun 'rupture' from the use of +P ammo. +P+ is a whole different story (maybe that's what they were referring to) as there's no SAAMI presure specifications for it and it was designed for use in .357 mags only as a way for law enforcement to avoid using 'magnum ammo'.

Strange then that S&W would recommend against even a few rounds of +P through my old j-frame.

wnycollector

Practice with standard loads. Fire a cylinder of +p each time you go to the range just to stay in touch with the louder BANG and greater recoil.

Very good advice!

Since I shoot my snub weekly, I am somewhat more conservative with shooting my +p carry ammo. I shoot 1 cylinder/month or ~1 box of 50/year.

45_Shooter

Strange then that S&W would recommend against even a few rounds of +P through my old j-frame.

Police departments used to shoot +P all the time in revolvers not labeled as such. Myself and thousands of others shoot +P on a regular basis regardless of labeling.

The only weapons I am aware of that S&W has continually suggested that +P ammo not be used in is those that predate model numbering (1957); even this is optomistic as the real reason for their concern was due to the primitive heat treatment process and it's propensity for error that existed on revolvers manufactured from about the '30s and prior.

Keltyke

but for them to go further and emphatically stress not using +P ever in my 1963 manufactured j-frame is what I am getting at.

That's right. If they tell you that you can shoot 50 rounds of +p during the life of the gun and it blows up at the 49th, they're in deep kim-chee. It's an all-or-nothing situation.

Stumper

I think that 45shooter's analysis has a lot of truth to it. As for "rupturing": with +P......uh +P is WAY below proof load levels so the gun is supposed to have already stayed together through a heavier stress firing. Certainly strain near the yield point on any material can have a cumulaive deleterious effect.-Guns are supposed to survive proof testing, not 5000 rounds of proof loads.( But +P is not a proof level loading and the +P standard was set at a level where it should never cause any .38 special fit to be fired, to fail catastrophically.)
Once upon a time there were .38/44 loads, also called .38 Special High Velocity that were loaded to about 30k CUP This loading was the forerunner of the .357 Magnum ( factories were afraid to boost pressures any further for fear of damaging someone's low quality/lightly constructed .38 Special so the case was lengthened and pressures pushed to 42k-46kCUP-Those were the days!) S&W never wanted those 38/44 loads in their original J frames because they feared a shortened service life(not kabooms) but when they introduced the Chief's Special they sent one to Elmer Keith who put 500 rounds of 38/44 loads through it and said that it "could take it" and that it was still tight as new.

laytonj1

The whole issue of shooting +P has been beaten to death. If you search you will find tons of info on it.
No gunmaker is going to tell you it's okay to shoot higher than standard pressure ammo in their guns. Period. Ruger even warns against using reloaded ammo.

It will not blow up with factory +P, but shooting a lot of higher pressure ammo will wear out the gun faster.

Jim

Creature

It will not blow up with factory +P, but shooting a lot of higher pressure ammo will wear out the gun faster.

That statement, I believe, is the crux of the whole argument.

Now if someone would like to offer up an old j-frame for a test-to-failure experiment with +P loads, I think we would all be very interested in the results.

laytonj1

Quote:

That statement, I believe, is the crux of the whole argument.

Now if someone would like to offer up an old j-frame for a test-to-failure experiment with +P loads, I think we would all be very interested in the results.
It's no different than if you drive your car nice and easy versus you constantly floor the accelerator and jamb on the brakes to stop. No one can tell you how much faster your car will wear out but we all know it will be sooner than later.

Jim

45_Shooter

My '61 flat latch M36 has approximately 1000 125 grain +P hollow points through it, in addition to whatever was put through it for the previous 40 years. Wally world was only charging $29 for a box of 100 so I bought a lot of 'em. No worse for wear than the day I bought it. In fact, the trigger is smoother now but that's about the only change.