What ammo has had problems or been perfect for you?

EastSideRich

What ammo have you had failure to feed, fire or eject with?
What was the cause of the failure?

What ammo (specifically SD ammo) has run perfect for you; and have you shot a lot of it?

I guess I should add:
The only ammo I've had problems with is Sellier & Bellot (multiple failure to eject due to smaller rim on case).
These failures were with a S&W 5906.
The only jhp I've shot is Remington UMC and WWB, never a problem (don't remember the bullet weights)
I think 250 UMC hollow points out of a .40 Sig 229 and a couple hundred each WWB and UMC hollow points out of the 5906.
The Sig carries Hornady TAP 155 gr, but I've never actually fired one yet.

Last edited:
when at the range using FMJ:

I will normally shoot the cheapest CCI Blazer stuff, Winchester WB, or American Eagle and have not had problems.

I will NEVER use Rem UMC again because of numerous dud rounds.

The S&B has been reported as being "dirty" and I tend to agree. YMMV.

tjhands

WWB, regardless of caliber, has performed flawlessly for me. Thankfully and surprisingly it's just about the cheapest store-bought ammo going.

Webleymkv

The only really bad ammo I ever had the misfortune of getting was Silver Bear 9mm 145grn JHP. About halfway through the box, my CZ-75 failed to go fully into battery. I could neither retract the slide nor push it into battery. Upon a very careful disassembly, I found the loaded round to actually be stuck part way into the chamber. After finally removing it I propmtly threw the rest of the box away, reassembled my gun, and shot the WWB I also had without any problems. The only thing I can figure out is that the OAL of the cartridge was too long and the bullet itself was stuck partway into the rifling of the barrel. Never bought Silver Bear for anything but an SKS ever again.

MLeake

Federal Hydra-Shok

Whether in 9mm, .357, or .45, I have never had a problem with feed or ejection/extraction. Accuracy has been normal.

Stopping power stats are quite good, in the 90% plus range for both .357 and .45.

It isn't the newest out there, but it still works.

Check out theboxotruth.com for a penetration comparison test with SD ammo. Interesting website.

HappyGunner

If we are talking about 1911s if their bbl is under 5" then any flat nosed bullet like a Corbon JHP might not feed well. I can't get them to feed in my 3"&4" 1911s. You really should test any carry type Ammo.:)

Shadi Khalil

I mainly shoot UMC FMJ 9mm. It comes in a value pack, 250 for around 50 bucks. I have never had a single malfunction with this stuff. After the UMC I'll shoot 50-100 winchester 147 gr. JHP (my carry ammo), Early on, when I first got the gun, I experinced FTFeeds with this ammo but that was atributed to a magazine problem. I shot 100 rounds today with no problems. I usually wrap up my range session with something high end. So far through my newest carry I have shot Horandy, Cor-bon, Double tap, STX, gold dot and have never expericned a single malfunction with any of them.

Aside from the above ammo, I've also shot a whole mess of aluiminum and steel cased ammo (wolf, blazer ect....) and have had zero malfunctions.

I think its more the gun than the ammo.

MRL21

In the USP 40, I have shot American Eagle, WWB, Federal Hydra-shocks, Federal FMJ in the blue colored box, gold dot for law enforcement, and Golden Saber. All of which didn't have a single issue.

In the 45 Tac, I shot a lot of Remington UMC and never had any issue. I also put a lot of WWB through it without issue. Golden Saber and Federal Hydra-shocks were both flawless. I even put CCI aluminum cases and Wolf ammo through her once or twice without any problems.

In the Glock 22, well lets just say we don't get along so well. Not the ammos fault or the guns fault. I am the reason the plastic wonder has reliability issues with any ammo I put in it.

I haven't had problems with ammo brand that I have come across.

44 AMP

Staff
I know this isn't what you are looking for, but it is the truth

The ammo that has given me problems or has been absolutely perfect has been the ammo I loaded myself. And it has been that way for more than the last 35 years.

And there has been more perfect than there has been problems by a huge amount.

Shooter 973

Problem free ammo?

I've never had a problem with any Federal ammo....:) They seem to make fine ammo that just works. I've used most brands of ammo and find Federal works best for me. FMJ's or hollows all feed and function great. I even like their 22 ammo the best of the bulk packs. I haven't used their Rifle ammo as I reload all of my own. I also reload for my handguns, but their factory ammo is what I buy when I need it.
I like Federal brass best for reloading also, the primer pockets are very nice and always feel the same from case to case. Just good stuff. :)

michael t

I shoot Corbon DPX in all my carry 1911's I also use Corbon DPX or 90grHP in my 5 380's and Corbon in my 32's
I have never had the first trouble out of any Corbon load Be it in my Compact 1911's New Agent or Defender or in My PPK/s Bersa or Kel Tec's
Ive had trouble from the wolff and other Russian junk.

Rampant_Colt

Whether in 9mm, .357, or .45, I have never had a problem with feed or ejection/extraction. Accuracy has been normal.

Stopping power stats are quite good, in the 90% plus range for both .357 and .45.

It isn't the newest out there, but it still works.

Check out theboxotruth.com for a penetration comparison test with SD ammo. Interesting website
LoL - NO handgun load is a 90% "stopper". Don't believe the hype.

This thread is a good example of why you need to test your own firearm with a certain ammunition that you plan on using in a defensive scenario.
If your pistol won't feed Hydra-Shoks, you have reliability issues other than the ammo, because HS ammo has a good feed profile in all the calibers offered

ps - Hydra-Shoks have been replaced by the much improved HST lineup

jhenry

My own reloads. Overall length, powder, projectile, and velocity all tailored for a particular firearm.

hamster

i will never buy remington UMC for my semi-autos... they dont feed very well.... for my GP100 i haven't had any problems

Jason_G

Ammo that I avoid:
  • Monarch- I watched this stuff gum up a friend's 1911 so badly that it stopped going into battery. We looked at the ammo closer, and all of it was covered in a thin waxy film. Almost like cosmoline or something. To make matters worse some of it was gritty. Maybe it was one bad box out of a hundred thousand, but I'll never put it through my guns.
  • Wolf- Maybe OK for surplus commie guns, but I wouldn't run it through anything else.
  • Anything that looks like a gimmick- The words "Extreme", "Special Forces", or "SOCOM" on an ammo box is a telltale sign.

Ammo that I shoot often, with no problems:
  • Georgia Arms "Canned Heat"- Burns a bit dirty, but always runs well and is a great value.
  • Winchester USA (WWB)- Good range ammo.
  • Remington UMC- About on par with WWB.
  • CCI Lawman- Sometimes you can find this stuff pretty cheap, and it makes good range ammo.
  • Blazer Brass- I used to be able to pick this stuff up for $9.47 at Wally World for a box of 50 (.45 ACP, 230 grn FMJ) 'till about last month. Now it's about $14. Usually priced very well, and a great value for range ammo.

Jason

Trueno

Wound up with a .45 USP Tactical in a trade at the gunshow yesterday, handiest thing there for plinkin' and gettin' used to the "new" (to me) gun was S&B and some reloads from a local ammo supplier, both in 230gr.

Usually rely on a Bretta Cougar that I've grown less and less fond of, this should be a whole different story. I've fired a Taurus .45 in the past, was surprised at how fast I could get back on target with it, lookin' forward to tryin' out this USP.

As far as plinkin' goes, should I chase down some Blazer instead? Wolf is fine for my AK's but I intend to stay away from it with this gun.

thanks for any advice ya might have,

t

pistolet1

dbl bbl daryl

Actually I've had the best success with WWB in 9mm. No feeding or ejection problems whatsoever. The most problematic ammo I've used was, oddly enough, also a Winchester product. Their WinClean BEB in .45ACP. Numerous FTF due in part to the large amount of residual lead left on the nose of the bullet, after the bullet cavity was filled. The soft and roughly shapened lead would actually get stuck on the feed ramp and cause a major jam. I'll never use that ammo again.