What ammo do you use ....

Any .45

As Defense ammo, target ammo, hunting, It does not matter the caliber. This is what i use.

Defense: Corbon Powerball +p or Federal HrydraShok HP
target: Federal Gold medal 185 match grain semi wadcutter
Hunting: I have used Remington .30-06 accutip boattail, but i've only gone hunting four times and purchased enough ammo that i still have two boxes.

What do you use?

Last edited:

J Miller

Generally I use Winchester Silver Tips for the house gun, and for practicing and playing I use any number of loads. Mostly 250 gr lead with a standard pressure charge of something fairly quick burning.

Oh, I shoot mostly .45 Colts so that's what I'm talking about.

If I load the .357 for the house I load it with Win 158gr SWC HPs. Mags are just too noisy for use in a house.

Joe

ddj8052

.45acp:
HD-Winchester 230gr Ranger SXT's
Range-230gr WWB, Federal Idependence, Federal AE and Hi-Shok

.38spl:
HD-Federal 158gr Nyclad HP +p or 158gr Federal Hydra-Shok
Range-Federal AE, WWB, or just about anything else I can find.

.357 mag:
HD-see .38spl
Range-Same
Hunting-Corbon 200gr

12g:
HD-Winchester Ranger 00 buck 9 pellets
Range -the same and whatever inexpensive game loads
Hunting- Winchester super X 1oz Slugs

45 Fu

Defense, .45 ACP: Whatever runs with 100% reliability. If there is more than one I choose the most accurate. I do not care about bullet make, weight, design, velocity or any other factor. If it runs and goes where I aim then I'm one step ahead of most goblins. It is usually 230 gr.
Defense, 7.62x39mm: 122 gr. JHP/FMJ, usually Wolf
Defense, 12 ga.: 3" magnum buffered and plated 00 buck - Winchester

Target, .45 ACP: Ball in the same weight as my carry round. Usually 230 gr.
Target, 7.62x39mm: Same as defense.
Target, 12 ga.: Same as defense

Hunting, 7362x39mm: Whichever expanding bullet gives me the best accuracy. It's the same for my other weapons as well.

I am not loyal to brands, trends, or acedemic debates. I'm loyal to what works.

In handguns, I almost always reach for Winchester Silvertip. .45 ACP an exception, as I stick to 230gr hardball (still have some old Hansen) like lots of folks. I will also use Fiocchi 170gr TC in my .40 S&W Glock 22, and 123gr Fiocchi "Combat" (also truncated cone) in my Beretta 92F. I've also experimented with Hydrashocks in .38 special, and will carry that as well.

Defense rifles, military surplus or mil-spec hardball.

Shotguns, I'm still working on some Remington 00 buck, but I have other stuff I haven't tried yet. For birds, Remington # 6, except Turkey, in which I am still experimenting.

Hunting rifles depends, but usually the Winchester "silvertip" (core-lokt softpoint).

Arc Angel

:rolleyes: For hunting I use the appropriate soft-point or hollow point rounds. For defense, well, I'm a dinosaur: I often carry hardball and prefer penetration and two holes (entrance and exit) for every shot. :eek:

:confused: This might not be a good recommendation for everyone in general; but, for me, I'm very target and background conscious. In a crowd I'd go to the ground in order to shoot upward rather than fire straight ahead; but, again, that's just me. I'm, also, mature enough not to be, 'quick to the gun'. I'd sooner take a bank robber's license plate than shoot it out with him; and any assailant is going to have to significantly threaten me before he'll, ever, see my big Glock Model 21 or it's baby brother - my left-front pocket Beretta Alley Cat. ;)

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello.

For "serious" purposes I use the following:

9mm: Winchester Ranger 127-gr. +P+

.45 ACP Winchester Ranger 230-gr. JHP

.38 Special: Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P

.357 Magnum: Winchester 145-gr. STHP

Best.

D-Ric902

In 38 Special - 125 grn Gold Dots (I haven't tried the 135 grn yet)
.45 - 230 grn Gold Dots
Most accurate and reliable I've found

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
What ammo do you use ....

What's on sale? ;)

(Mostly Golden Sabers, HydraShoks, Gold Dots, or SGB's. Otherwise, Ballistic Tips, Game Kings, or various types of LSWC and LSWC-HP. Maybe different stuff, if appropriate to the caliber and job.)

bpisler

It depends on the gun and the purpose.my apt gun is a 625-6 loaded with magsafe's,my carry pieces are a KP-93 with blackhills 115gr gold dots +Ps,3" 65-3 loaded with 357mag starfires,3" 24-3 with speer 44spl 200gr gold dots.

Malamute

For the Ruger .45 SA, 325 gr SWC @ around 1150+fps for up on the mountain. for "town" use, 260 gr Keith @ 900+fps.

In the Smith 29, 250 gr Keith @ 850 fps in SPL cases, or 250 gr Keith @ 1000 fps for a medium field load in mag cases. (due to injury can't shoot heavy loads in the DA.)

In the Browning 1886 carbine, 400 gr Barnes, @ 1800+fps for up on the mountain.

The 94 Winchester carbine has 170 gr handloads @ std factory velocity.

I've used Federal 230-gr Hydra-Shoks for years as my "serious social occasions" ammo. I generally shoot Win White Box for target practice.

On another thread, a poster is talking about Cor-Bon 200-gr Pow'rBall being available. I like the concept, and plan to try several boxes to check reliability and accuracy.

Still, the Hydra-Shoks have been reliable, accurate, and work like they're supposed to.

UnforgivenII

Defense- 40 cal Ranger SXT's, 45 golden saber
Hunting-30 06 165 gr Ballistic Tip, 357 mag 125 gr hydra shoks
Practice-Winchester white box

Drundel

So many guns....

Defensive H=home C=carry

H.45 165 Triton Quik-Shok
C.45 165 Corbon Powerball
H.40 135 Triton Quik-Shok
C.40 135 Corbon Powerball
H.357 125 Federal HydraShok
C.357 125 Speer Golddots

I think I am missing something. Oh, .454 200 Partitin Gold for whatever gets past the others!

;)

TNGO

10mm: Defense-CorBon 150gr JHP. Practice-same.
.44 Special: Defense-Hornady 180gr XTP-JHP or PMC 180gr JHP. Practice-PMC.
.45 ACP: Defense-Remington 185gr Golden Saber. Practice-Winchester 185gr FMJ.
.45 Colt: Defense-Federal 225gr LHP. Practice-same.

.45 Vet

.45acp=165gr Hydra Shocks, Combat Commander
.357 =125gr XTP's @ 1250fps from 2-1/4" Pig *

* Don't tell me about using handloaded ammo for self defense, if someone breaks into my home while I'm there, they're fair game. And I'll say so from jail.

WESHOOT2

A quick count

Shows I have 79 bullet types currently available for defense, or hunting, or 'whatever'.
Not including 22LR, ay?

9x19, 9x21, 38 Special, 38 Super, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 41 Action Express, 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt.
Defense, target, hunting.
Yeah.

sm

I wonder what this box/coffee can/where'd I get this/ hey I was looking for those... :p

Hang on...drops mags...digs for other mags, speed loaders,...looks in world's ugliest chest of drawers...

I have no idea what the recipe for the Standard Pressure 158 gr LSWC-HP that are in "this" gun - 20yrs old and they work. Ditto for the 148 gr Target Wadcutters .

Another .38spl has 125 gr STHP...this gun and others really like the 158 gr LSWC , 158 gr LSWC- HP Standard pressure.

Whatever the old recipe for 45ACP 200 gr LSWC using HG 68 ( 20 yrs old)

185 gr STHPs,are in the 1911 at the moment.... 230 gr Black Hills, Fed, Fiocchi...err name one, seems I have it for a a .45ACP

115 gr STHP in a 9mm CCW , 1 spare mag is Fiocchi 115 FMJ , the other is 115gr Fiocchi JHP ...

FWIW - I run a min of 200 rds of ammo in a gun before I carry it. Reliability is #1 then I look for POA/ POI.

I then "just pick one" from these proven reliable loads .

I bought a "slew" of STHP ammo in various calibers years ago when a Gun store closed when the fella retired. About to have it all shot up ...